Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tower Speakers options

HGrace

So When I ordered my new boat ( 2018 25LSV), I had a certain price I was trying to stay within and the tower speakers and sub were a $6k upgrade so I elected to dump that.  So now I want to add that stuff and I'm trying to find options and info.  So here are my questions.  I see there are adapters needed.  Is there a difference in those adapters for the G3 vs my G3.5 tower or are they one in the same?  Do I have to do anything to my bimini?  Is Wet Sounds the only game in town for good clear tower speakers>?  I need to buy an amp (maybe 2), a sub and 4 tower speakers and not have it cost $6k.  I'm a newcomer thanks in advance for the help.

53 minutes ago, HGrace said:

Is Wet Sounds the only game in town for good clear tower speakers>?  I need to buy an amp (maybe 2), a sub and 4 tower speakers and not have it cost $6k.  I'm a newcomer thanks in advance for the help.

No, there are other brands. Most important, where do you want the music heard?  Surfing, wake boarding, or the other side of the lake?  Whatever you do, the screen will probably not control it and lots of stuff will not work seamlessly :(

Actually, as

1 hour ago, minnmarker said:

No, there are other brands. Most important, where do you want the music heard?  Surfing, wake boarding, or the other side of the lake?  Whatever you do, the screen will probably not control it and lots of stuff will not work seamlessly :(

Actually, as long as you hook the amps to the brain of the factory radio, the volumes will all work normally

Tons of awesome options within that budget. But first, what are your tower speaker goals? Wake range projection, surf/party cove or both? There are 8" coaxial options that are great for surf/party cove, but might not be as effective at wake range. There are 8" HLCD options that will do much better at wake range, but not as smooth in the sound quality department near field as the coaxial. Then there are 10" and 11" HLCD that do a great job at both wake range and surf/party cove. The larger mid-bass drivers balance out the dominate horn loaded compression drivers, making them great for all around listening. Once you get into the larger HLCDs, most people are very happy with just a single pair. Once you compare the cost, a single pair of larger HLCD and amp, can sometimes come in less then 2 pair of 8" HLCD and close in price to 2 pair of 8" coaxial. Some talk about a mix of 2 pair of coax and a single pair of HLCD in order to smooth or balance out the aggressive HLCD.  This often requires 2 amps in order to properly power the 6 pod setup. This is where the single pair of larger HLCD still hold the advantage in price and performance. Once the setup type is worked out, you can then look at the different brand offerings and their features and accessories.   

Yea we pretty much just surf and listen while we swim. Very little wake boarding anymore. Im thinking of starting wirh a single pair and a sub. Any idea on adapters ?

6 hours ago, HGrace said:

Yea we pretty much just surf and listen while we swim. Very little wake boarding anymore. Im thinking of starting wirh a single pair and a sub. Any idea on adapters ?

This is what I’m installing in my 2018 23 LSV. If you call and order just mention “the Malibu crew” for a discount. 

https://www.exileaudio.com/store/packages/tower-speaker-amplifier/sxt-surf-package-2.html

69CEE84B-35AB-48F5-B794-D21809A0B9CD.jpeg

8 hours ago, HGrace said:

There are adapter options to mount just a single pair of pods to the G3, but a lot of people like the "dual" option as it gets that single pair just a little higher up the tower for more head room inside the boat. 

33 minutes ago, MLA said:

There are adapter options to mount just a single pair of pods to the G3, but a lot of people like the "dual" option as it gets that single pair just a little higher up the tower for more head room inside the boat. 

I went with the dual mounts and a single pair of Rev-10s. As MLA said, the single mount sits too low for me and looked really odd sitting in the lower position. The duals will get them up and out of the way and save you some money later on for expansion if you want. A single pair of Revs was ideal for my needs. What I am not be able to do is use the swivel clamps to swivel the speakers 180 degrees forward, only about 90 degrees of rotation as the rear cross brace stops the rotation. I don't know if WS has accounted for the surf tow knobs you have on the inside of the tower, but most likely. You may not have those issues on the G3.5

We too just surf and swim, and I went with WS Icon 8's properly powered. The sound is great, warm, and great bass. They don't project far tho, and a eq like a WS 420 is a must. I was on the fence over a pair of 10s or 2 pair of 8s. I much prefer the looks of 4 speakers on the tower, so went with 2 pair, and am happy with my decision. However, a pair of 10s would be just as good, and sound better tbh.

When I ordered my 16 VLX I went with a pair of REV 8s.  Did them for a season and found that they were a bit harsh as we really only surf.  Last season I upgraded to the same thing @IXFEdid.  Nothing but good stuff from Exile!  Really enjoyed the new set up!