Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What is this? Got a diagram?

hethj7

Anyone got a wiring diagram for this red connector on a 2016 factory system?  It seems to be the source of my engine noise in my system.  I am trying to track it all down in the driveway but figured if someone could help, it may save me some time. 

image.jpg

Okay, so it is all the cabin speakers.   Is it possible all the noise in my system when engine is running is through the speaker wire feeding back into all parts of the system?  With those connected, I get noise in the cabins and towers.  With it unplugged, of course the cabins turn off, but the noise in the tower speakers disappears as well.  

All my other grounds are to the same spot (black box, amps, and WS420).   There is a single black wire coming from that connector  that I tied to my other grounds but it doesn’t seem to help.  That is what is in the temporary yellow wire nut.    

22 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

There is a single black wire coming from that connector  that I tied to my other grounds but it doesn’t seem to help.

So you grounded a random black wire? Whats it go to? What was the end thats now tied to your grounds,  terminated to? 

22 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

All my other grounds are to the same spot (black box, amps, and WS420)

So what about the B+ and ground isolation jumper? 

Gain levels? 

Edited by MLA
44 minutes ago, MLA said:

So you grounded a random black wire? Whats it go to? What was the end thats now tied to your grounds,  terminated to? 

So what about the B+ and ground isolation jumper? 

Gain levels? 

I was hoping you may chime in :)

Random black wire grounded - well, sort of.  It was tied to the ground coming from the black box before so I was/am reasonably sure it is a ground.  

B+ and ground isolation jumper - you are exceeding my knowledge without some more reasearch on my part.  Can you point me in the right direction?

gain levels - they are turned up, no doubt.  I know this amplifies noise, but being that the noise in the tower goes away when I disconnect that  red connector but the tower still plays, I still think I have too much noise on the system somewhere.  

On the B plus and ground isolation - I didn’t touch the b+ from the black box, so it is till wired to the factory location.  Are you talking about the ground isolation in the WS420?  I haven’t touched it since is shipped.  

Power for the  amps and WS420 is on the same factory distribution block.  

7 hours ago, hethj7 said:

I didn’t touch the b+ from the black box, so it is till wired to the factory location

So its still piggybacked on one of the amps? Id consider paring it with the EQ to the same spot. 

Next, id get ALL the equipment gains set correctly. The GND ISO can be a valuable tool. Lastly, dont hesitate to rely on your equipment retailer for this type of setup and tuning advice. 

Well, all b+ for amps, WS420, and black box are on same distribution block as well as all the grounds and I still have the issue.  

I may call the shop I bought it from to discuss some more.  I know turning down the gains will help, but the system already underperforms in my mind and I would really like to avoid replacing amps as well.  

I haven’t messed with the 420 ground loop isolator or internal gain, but if I do that is for another day as I am not ripping all that out now.  

27 minutes ago, hethj7 said:

but the system already underperforms in my mind

Over gaining does not resolve this. Once the amp gain is matched the input level, going higher just creates issues, not better performance. Setting the gains at optimal wont make the system louder, but you should see the other benefits.  

1 hour ago, MLA said:

Over gaining does not resolve this. Once the amp gain is matched the input level, going higher just creates issues, not better performance. Setting the gains at optimal wont make the system louder, but you should see the other benefits.  

Okay.  May be time for a professional tune then. I would just like a Marine audio place and there really aren’t any in KC.  I would like them to run it on a hose to hear the noise too,  but  not sure I know of a shop I trust to protect the motor when doing that.   Thanks for you help.  

5 hours ago, MLA said:

If you have time, can you expand on this?  Or reference an old thread where you have already?

I have the gains tuned by zone, by ear.  Device input was set flat with volume all the way.  Amp gains were down, and then boat master volume was turned up until about 85% volume.  WS420 master volume stays at max as my goal was to just use the boats volume control.

I then turned up cabin amp gain until clipping was heard, then backed off just a bit.  I did the same for the towers.  

Doing this, the gains are turned up pretty far, but it doesn’t appear I am clipping or distorting the speakers.