Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Opinions - Goode 69" 9534 .......Before I buy

Sane Asylum

Interested in an 04 69" Goode 9534.........No bindings but I think I know what I want.....

My Stuff:

185 lbs

45 years old Cry.gif

LFF

Used to be able to clean a course at 28mph_15 off (bout six years ago).....I don't even know if I described this correctly....It's been a while

Been doing a lot of free skiing on an old 68" Jobe 1600 (double high wraps) and I want some new technology......I would like to be able to start skiing a course again but want a ski I can grow into

Would appreciate any commentary you guys could provide. I'm a fairly aggressive skier but have a slightly hard time accelerating back across on my weak side

Skiing behind a 23' 06 Malibu XTi

Interested in an 04 69" Goode 9534.........No bindings but I think I know what I want.....

My Stuff:

185 lbs

45 years old Cry.gif

LFF

Used to be able to clean a course at 28mph_15 off (bout six years ago).....I don't even know if I described this correctly....It's been a while

Been doing a lot of free skiing on an old 68" Jobe 1600 (double high wraps) and I want some new technology......I would like to be able to start skiing a course again but want a ski I can grow into

Would appreciate any commentary you guys could provide. I'm a fairly aggressive skier but have a slightly hard time accelerating back across on my weak side

Skiing behind a 23' 06 Malibu XTi

Why are you targeting only the 9500? At your ability level there are many skis offered that will work and I would suggest looking around for any D3 X5's one yr old, F1, or something else with inserts for bindings.

The concern I have for this ski is that Goode doesn't make a a ski for longevity and now that ski is 3 yrs old and is going to come with problems with the binding screws stripped and stuff. Find something newer that has inserts.

Sane -

I ski a Goode 9100 - a few years older than the 9500. I'm 48 years old. The Goode sometimes does have problem delaminating, or other things. Right now I'm happy with skiing my Goode - well until I broke my toe last week - nothing to do with the Goode, so end of my season. Mad.gif But be careful when looking at the Goode, look at the holes for the bindings to determine if they are stripped out. Goode has some specific recommendations on placement of bindings, and if you use same bindings as placed on the ski, you might have some problems.

I agree with SkiSix. I would recommend a more mid-level ski. Something like the HO Vengence. Even the X5 and the F1 are pretty high level ski and they are not designed to run at 28 MPH. I would think you would be better off running a wider more stable ski for a season-work on technique and then make a change to a faster ski as you move up to 32 or 34 mph.

My $.02.

That being said I don't know how much you're going to like it if you intend to ski it anywhere near 28mph.
...pretty high level skis and they are not designed to run at 28 MPH.
Very good point. If you're not planning on picking up the speed (to a minimum of 32) I would not look at the top end skis from any manufacturer. They are designed to run at 34 - 36. Even my old CDX was happier when I bumped from 32 up to 34.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

The Goode is designed to run faster. I am way older but run at your speed, 15 off at 30, and ski a 67 HO Triumph and love it (System8 with 1/2" added to the middle). If you want longer, and slower you may want to look at the Obrian Synchro, they sell a 69".

Based on my experience I have to agree about the longevity comment. I ski on a Goode and it broke after about 5 months of skiing on it. They did honor the warranty but it was a bit of a process to make them honor it. It is a nice, fast ski but I think there are better alternatives for what you want to do. Have you tried the ski-it-again website? You can often find decent deals there. Good luck!

Based on my experience I have to agree about the longevity comment. I ski on a Goode and it broke after about 5 months of skiing on it. They did honor the warranty but it was a bit of a process to make them honor it. It is a nice, fast ski but I think there are better alternatives for what you want to do. Have you tried the ski-it-again website? You can often find decent deals there. Good luck!

I appreciate all of the input......May pass on this and try something else. There's some pretty interesting comments on Schnitzskies?? He talks A LOT about the inserts and the improvements that need to made. He also says he and one of his testers have skied personal bests on this ski....

My fear is that I may out grow something kindof quickly.......I still like to free ski at 34-36 but can only clean a course @ 28 - 15 off......I can get about 4-5 bouys at 30 and get WAAAAAY behind......It's gotta be the ski ROFL.gif Just kidding.....Maybe I just suck.....

I've skied a 67" CDX w/animals and really liked it......I did hook it pretty hard (twice) but think that was my fault...

Got my eye on the triumph right now......It looks like it might work for old school Biggrin.gif

Wanna do a clinic or school sometime this next spring......If anybody knows of something close and effective for old school guys in the Kansas City area shoot me a note......

Will post an update when I make the purchase......I'm running out of WARM....Time for the shorty to come out.....

Edited by Sane Asylum