Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Long time lurker, need advice on ‘94 echelon damage

bbarber126

Hey everybody, long time lurker here but a first time poster. I’ve been in the market for a good ski boat for awhile now and just drove about 3 hours to look at a 94 echelon today. Everything is solid on the boat and it runs like a top. However the rub rail is beat up and appears to have split the fiberglass both in the back right corner and at the front nose. There is also a chip down to the fiberglass down by the prop. The trailer also shows some rot, wondering how much work is required to bring it up to par as a future wake boat. Price is $6800. The pictures at the photobucket link show the trailer rot, the damaged fiberglass in the rear, the chip on the hull, and another pin hole I noticed in the glass. Sorry if I’ve broken any forum rules, deal is time sensitive so just trying to figure out my next move quickly.

http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/brian_barber3/library/

Not sure what the rest of the boat looks like or what the cost of repairs would be. It doesn’t seem like a great deal to me. Personally I would keep looking. 

What area do you live in and what’s your price range? Someone here might know of a few options with some more information. 

I’m in the New England area, Massachusetts. Looking to spend $7000 and looking for a ‘94 or newer. The rest of the boat was pretty immaculate. Engine clean and strong, bildge was spotless, original upholstery a little faded but in good shape for the year.

I'd think you would want to get that rub rail area repaired ASAP.  So at $6800 that boat is probably over your $7000 budget unless your doing the repairs yourself. 

Not a lot of inventory here in Massachusetts and these boats are at a premium and typically sell very quickly.  I was in a similiar position a few years back and finally located my malibu at a dealer at Candlewood lake in CT.  Got really tiring chasing Craigslist leads all over New England just to arrive and find the seller had just sold the boat after driving for hours.  In the end, I felt that I got a very fair deal and working with a professional dealer was worth any extra cost .  They took very good care of me on a trade as well.  You may want to stop by east coast flight craft or one of the other dealers in the area and talk to one of the sales guys and let them know what your after.  They can probably connect you with any trades that are coming in before they are posted for sale.

For the fiberglass, could you see the glass on the inside? If the damage is into the actual fiberglass, then the repair will be much more expensive than just a gel coat repair.  For the trailer, did you push/prod the rotted areas? Is the metal still solid or has the rot gone all the way through. If the metal is still "solid" then you can sand and repaint the trouble spots easy enough.   I would use 3 - 5k as a budget number for repair work if you need to make a quick decision. Usual disclaimers here as repair rates can vary greatly, looking at pics, internet forum, don't repair fiberglass for a living etc.....  

Best of luck!

Trailer wasn’t quite rotted through, couldn’t get through with my fingers but if I took a few good swings with a hammer I think I’d start to get through it. Trailers are a dime a dozen on Craigslist right now so that’s not the end of the world. As for the fiberglass, judging by the jagged edges just below the rub rail in the picture I’m going to say it went through into the actual glass. It wouldn’t be a huge issue but if I were to load the boat up with the low freeboard I’d be getting dangerously close on the water line. Couldn’t see if it was clean through as the fuel tank is mounted right in front of the issue area.

Seems like any and all boats are selling like crazy up here this year, found a few bow riders that I would’ve settled for just to get on the water this year that were sold an hour after the post went up. Decent inventory on Craigslist for ski boats, they’re just too spread out to seriously consider most of them. There was a gorgeous 95 echelon up for $9000 firm, should’ve bit the extra $2000 and made the investment.

Economy is on fire and everyone like you is trying to do same, the dealers probably gets lots of trades on upgrade and maybwell be the way to go along with your search

Edited by granddaddy55

Be prepared to drive some to find a boat. I went 12 hours one way for mine. It’s easier to do in the off-season when things aren’t moving so quickly.

@bbarber126:  Just my opinion and should not be taken with a lot of credibility, I am not sure an Echelon / Response makes for as good a wakeboard boat compared to other options since you note that in the initial post.  If you are looking for a very good ski boat (boat was ski boat of the year) and probably one of the better DD barefoot boats, can't go wrong with an Echelon.  Pics indicate the running gear has been hit with some harsh chemicals.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Ended up finding a 2000 response lx. (In town!) Overall good condition, seats have been reupholstered. Trailer is from east coast flight craft and seems to be in great condition. Starts up and runs good, 1400 hrs. Asking $8000 might jump on it for $7k

Edited by bbarber126
  • Like 2