Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2017 VLX how to remove center ballast tank?

gobble

Does anyone know how to remove the center ballast tank in a 2017 VLX? I was working under the helm using my phone as a flashlight and it fell and slid under the ballast tank. I'm such an idiot!

Is this a huge job to remove the tank to get my phone out? I think I need to remove the gas tank and slide the center ballast tank back, but not sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, it is a HUGE job. Can you hook your truck up to the boat and drive up a hill to get it on an angle so the phone slides back? Maybe put a towel in front of the fuel tank so it doesn't slide under it as well?

1 hour ago, chantel said:

Yes, it is a HUGE job. Can you hook your truck up to the boat and drive up a hill to get it on an angle so the phone slides back? Maybe put a towel in front of the fuel tank so it doesn't slide under it as well?

I tried exactly that. Just got back from doing it...didn't work.

The center tank may have some aluminum angle brackets on the sides attaching it to the stringers with screws.  If you take those screws out, you may be able to lift the tank up enough to jam a shim in there and use a stiff bent wire and pull your phone back towards you.  It's pretty tight in there, good luck.

After most of a day I got it. The thing that finally worked was sticking a hose in the hole under the helm and flooding the area below the tank with water. After that I took it for another spin on the trailer up hills after placing mesh in the crack under the fuel tank. When I got back the phone was sitting in front of that mesh. In between I went to the phone store to get a new phone, but took another shot at it after they told me the buyout on my iPhone X was $750.