Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

F150

MadMan

Talk about a cash cow....

"With prices on the rise across the industry, Ford trucks have sold for around $47,000 on average in the first four months of 2018. Most analysts say Ford makes approximately $10,000 on every truck it sells, depending on the exact model and trim level.

The F-Series also accounts for a third of all cars and trucks that Ford builds in North America. The company produced more than a million pickup trucks in 2017, while sales in the U.S. totaled around 896,000 to mark a 12-year high."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/why-the-ford-f-150-is-a-profit-machine

ahopkins22LSV

Only if they are building them... https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2018/05/09/ford-supplier-plant-fire/594709002/

Sounds like they could be back up and running this coming week though. 

They are definitely a cash cow though and keeping Ford above water. If you are ever in the Detroit area I highly recommend a plant tour at their Dearborn plant. It’s a work of art. Was a crazy interesting experience helping launch the latest truck. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Only if they are building them... https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2018/05/09/ford-supplier-plant-fire/594709002/

Sounds like they could be back up and running this coming week though. 

They are definitely a cash cow though and keeping Ford above water. If you are ever in the Detroit area I highly recommend a plant tour at their Dearborn plant. It’s a work of art. Was a crazy interesting experience helping launch the latest truck. 

Say more . . . . You already poked the hornets nest FCA and the new Ram.

ahopkins22LSV
14 minutes ago, DAI said:

Say more . . . . You already poked the hornets nest FCA and the new Ram.

lol about what? The ford launch was polar opposite of what I was just involved with fca. Their process is stout. Were there delays, issues and some chaos? Absolutely. But their process for product validation and launch is quite stout. They have stumbled in launch’s and there were definitely some major hiccups with the f150 launch, like with the frame supplier. But their management of those issues and hiccups are some of the best I’ve dealt with. 

If they do get up and running this week or even next week that shows that their process and management of issues work. That supplier fire is a huge catastrophe. You can’t just pick up a specialized tool like they run there and move it to another supplier. And that’s assuming none of the tools were damaged. 

Two posts complimenting Ford... and I’m a GM guy. 

Just triangulating to my procurement guy to see if you said the same thing about Ford (which you did).  I'm not brand loyal to any one auto manufacturer, it was pure curiosity. 

ahopkins22LSV
1 minute ago, DAI said:

Just triangulating to my procurement guy to see if you said the same thing about Ford (which you did).  I'm not brand loyal to any one auto manufacturer, it was pure curiosity. 

Haha no worries. So we’ve said the same about fca and ford now? Crazy... (not really)

I only say I’m a GM guy not because of any work experience but because I just like their vehicles better. I’d have no problem buying a ford. They just typically don’t satisfy my taste in a vehicle. 

Felt the same way, now I’ve gone full dark side with a 16 2.7 XLT and an 18 GT vert 10 speed, 

that new tranny is awesome and I wish I had it in my truck

that tranny seems to have zero positive effect on mpg, but who cares, to see it downshift on its own at 120mph down to 90 quickly with barely touching brakes snd it did 4 hard downshifts on its own just reading my let off of throttle and intention to brake  

no need to touch the paddles, with the 10 speed you really don’t need them 

18 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2018/05/16/ford-launched-international-airlift-restart-f-150/617196002/

Definitely have to hand it to Ford. And this is what I am talking about, amazing work by them.

So what i see from that article is that ford was impacted the most, gm and dodge just switched to producing more of something else and kept their lines running and people working 😁

Edited by oldjeep

One of my clients years ago had to use the Antov to bring in a molding machine from Germany. If I remember right, that flight was in the neighborhood of $80k per hour.

• 2 weeks later...

Just pulled trigger before the weekend on New F150 Platinum. I had a higher mileage 08 Expedition and want a little more truck to pull the boat. Since we did a fair amount of business with a dealership this year I was able to get 13k off on a new one. I was able to bring a 3.5 ecoboost and 5.0 v8 home for a weekend and test out the towing and actually notice no difference in either truck so I went with the 5.0. Also the sound of the coyote is worth it.

TFkgqmb_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Here was  real world towing  mileage calculated by gallons and miles

whole way to Norris at 63-69 cruise mostly higher speed  in tow mode, 10.5

Going home , 1st leg down in essence the down hill leg 1st tank 12.5, not in tow the whole time 69 -70 cruise mostly 12.5

last two tanks more up and down instead of down hill , 71 cruise mph plus accelerations fir necessary passing all in tow mode 9.2-9.3

i used 87 instead of reconmended  93 snd when this thing goes full twin turbo , you can feel the dash and steering wheel vibrating , until you level out on level or downhill ground and come out of full twin turbo

i wonder woujd it have done that if I ran the 93??

and I wonder as mentioned by  an earlier OP in this thread, would locking out 6 and running higher rpms would have actually been better?  when it downshifted to 5 then when necesssry 4, you wouldn’t feel that vibration until it had been in that rpm and gear for some  time going uphill , but more rpm usually means less mileage ??

it was a great long  tow in the ford and I think I benefited from 100 extra nose weight pounds of lead I have in bow, slightly better ride than without it, the boat gas tank was half full and I have 500lbs of  lead with 200 over each set of tandom wheels 

my rake evens out perfectly with boat on  hitch and the ride like that is awesome smooth 

and here’s the silly  comment we have all heard and laughed at, felt like it wasn’t even back there, amazing how good the acceleration on command  is with the fuel sucking turbos   

Edited by granddaddy55

91 here is non ethanol , our 93 is ethanol mix , with my old dodge 5.9 that knocked if I used 87, we used to mix half 93 with half 87 and with the 90, we wouldn’t knock 

Edited by granddaddy55
On 5/18/2018 at 5:52 AM, oldjeep said:

So what i see from that article is that ford was impacted the most, gm and dodge just switched to producing more of something else and kept their lines running and people working 😁

Ford has been profitable even during the downturn , remember the ford exec in hearings in congress for bailout saying that he wouldn’t mind bellying up to the treasury window fir bailout funds and the politicians laughed cause his company was turning a profit !!!!!

Ford makes better profit decisions like furloughing.  Yea Chrysler has been making money now with trucks and more so with Jeeps,  but more so after being bailed out and bought out twice, than before. 

Ford as @ahopkinsTXi said is a smart company , need more proof , ford just announced they will cease production of all Sedan models in 1 or 2years, why no money  in them unless they are or look like hot rods like the charger   

Edited by granddaddy55