Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Info From Other Types Of Boat Users

BOMOD

I have often wondered things like:

- what a reasonable distance is from a trolling fisherman (wake, underwater engine sound, ...)

- how come a tubing boat doesn't stay well out of my straight track when we are wakeboarding

- what issues skiers have with wakeboarders

In general, I see several classifications of boaters and a list of issues they have with other kinds of boaters that the other boaters may not be aware of.

Here is how I might break it out ...

Wakeboarders

- Jet skiers please stay well away from my wake and my boarder. You can move much faster than I can react close in.

- Tubing boats really churn up the water for a good period of time after passing by so stay away from my lane.

- I could go on with these because I am very familar with the issues

Tubers

- Jet skiers could stay far away as I am going to change my direction many times suddenly

Fishermen

- Other boaters wakes really reek havoc on my comfort levels

- Other boaters need to stay a little further away than they realize due to prop noises scaring off my potential victims

Jet Skiers

- I am really stumped on guessing here

I would really love to know how I adversely affect other boaters because I really do care. Also, I believe if I take better care of them, they will respect me more. I just need to know.

What are your thoughts?

Greetings, BOMOD

I think there is several things to keep in mind when we talk about an open lake situation. I have an idea on all these subjects, because my dad is professional bass fisherman and I used to own a jet ski.

-Jet Skis- If you are on a unrestricted lake where jet skis roam freely, then you will always, always, always run into a problem a person trying to jump your wake. I know, because before I wake boarded I did the same thing. There is virtually nothing you can do to avoid this problem other than try and stay away from them, or make it clear if they try and ride your wake within 100 yards you will either a) run them over or B) whoop on there a**.

I think the main thing to keep in mind when dealing with others is to be polite at the ramp. The ramp seems to be the most stressful place on earth for many people launching and pulling their boat out of the water. If those people get in a bad mood at the ramp then they are going to be in a bad mood on the water. Ask if they need help. Experienced boaters know that when the trailer hits the water the boat should be out of the water within one minute. We have all seen the infamous dock the boat then drag it to the trailer guy, which is probably the most frustrating. But if you are willing to ask if that person needs some help or some pointers we all might be able to decrease the amount of dock stupidity.

-Fisherman- You are not going to keep them happy, they hate you no matter what. Fisherman think wake boarders are drunk idiots on the water with loud stereos and big wakes that screw up their fishing. Some of this is true, but if you stay 100 yards from their boat then you are well within a safe zone of their area. Most fisherman are out early so unless you are a early rider then the fisherman out later in the day are not hardcore fisherman so I wouldn't lose sleep about it.

I'm done for now............

I am a skier, but I am going to respond as if I was a fisherperson or canoeist. "Ski boat drivers, could you please watch where you are going instead of watching your skier behind you all the time".

Jetskier to self................."I know how to ride this thing.....Why do they hate me so much? Boaters should respect the fact that I only had $8K to spend on my boat.....I really need your wake....Just don't look back.....It'll be fine"

Greetings, BOMOD

I think there is several things to keep in mind when we talk about an open lake situation. I have an idea on all these subjects, because my dad is professional bass fisherman and I used to own a jet ski.

-Jet Skis- If you are on a unrestricted lake where jet skis roam freely, then you will always, always, always run into a problem a person trying to jump your wake. I know, because before I wake boarded I did the same thing. There is virtually nothing you can do to avoid this problem other than try and stay away from them, or make it clear if they try and ride your wake within 100 yards you will either a) run them over or B) whoop on there a**.

I think the main thing to keep in mind when dealing with others is to be polite at the ramp. The ramp seems to be the most stressful place on earth for many people launching and pulling their boat out of the water. If those people get in a bad mood at the ramp then they are going to be in a bad mood on the water. Ask if they need help. Experienced boaters know that when the trailer hits the water the boat should be out of the water within one minute. We have all seen the infamous dock the boat then drag it to the trailer guy, which is probably the most frustrating. But if you are willing to ask if that person needs some help or some pointers we all might be able to decrease the amount of dock stupidity.

-Fisherman- You are not going to keep them happy, they hate you no matter what. Fisherman think wake boarders are drunk idiots on the water with loud stereos and big wakes that screw up their fishing. Some of this is true, but if you stay 100 yards from their boat then you are well within a safe zone of their area. Most fisherman are out early so unless you are a early rider then the fisherman out later in the day are not hardcore fisherman so I wouldn't lose sleep about it.

I'm done for now............

Daman - Welcome to the site!

In CA at least it's 100 feet, not 100 yards. If the law was 100 yards then I think we'd all be fine. Frankly, I think 100 feet is too close for a jet ski to pass by me. That's only about 20 feet away from my boarder - I'd freak if they did that again and again.

It's not the knowledgable jet skier that seems to know what they are doing, it's the guy who is in the no wake zone with a wake, it's the guy who instantly goes 60 MPH (though some can do upwards of 80 now) right after the no wake zone right past me and my downed boarder - obviously holding on for dear life, not in control. It's the jet ski that sees open water in front of my boat and zooms towards it - as if smooth water is something that must be churned by them doing a series of speeding 360's.

Really it's the fact jet ski's are unpredictable. They zoom left then right do a speeding 360 to their right, then do it to their left - then spill off. Get up and do it again in the center of the lake, then straight to the end. As a boat driver I typically have a specific direction I must follow in a lake - clockwise or counter clockwise - the typical jet ski never seems to observe these rules even though they claim to be on a 'boat.'

I am a skier, but I am going to respond as if I was a fisherperson or canoeist. "Ski boat drivers, could you please watch where you are going instead of watching your skier behind you all the time".

Most experienced drivers only keep an eye on the rider using the mirror for which it was intended. Usually the "drivers" I see watching the back of the boat are tubers, and they usually don't have mirrors. Be aware anyone who is close to shore than they are in a direct path of a wake boat. Wake boats usually are out of the way of everyone unless you are close to shore, so jet skiers and tubers have plenty of room out in the middle. I also agree with lakes that have restricted jet ski areas, the best thing in the world and I believe it should be that way at every lake. This is most important on small lakes. I have nothing to do right now....

In CA at least it's 100 feet, not 100 yards. If the law was 100 yards then I think we'd all be fine. Frankly, I think 100 feet is too close for a jet ski to pass by me. That's only about 20 feet away from my boarder - I'd freak if they did that again and again.

While the 100ft rule is true, I believe that it is 100ft from the boat and anything/one in tow. This is the problem, the jetskiers hit the wake 100ft behind the boat, not 100ft behind the boarder. They already have a bead on the wake, and if the boarder goes down, it's too late for them to correct their path.

While the 100ft rule is true, I believe that it is 100ft from the boat and anything/one in tow. This is the problem, the jetskiers hit the wake 100ft behind the boat, not 100ft behind the boarder. They already have a bead on the wake, and if the boarder goes down, it's too late for them to correct their path.

That's my understanding as well.

Fishermen

- Other boaters need to stay a little further away than they realize due to prop noises scaring off my potential victims

-see attached picture below-

Attn: Wakeboarders

Stay off the lake in the early AM!!!!

Attn: Tow Daddy

Pull the slalom ski out of your @ss and learn to share the water or did you miss that morning of preschool?

post-44-1157994539_thumb.jpg

Fishermen

Pull the slalom ski out of your @ss and learn to share the water or did you miss that morning of preschool?

ROFL.gif I was thinking the same thing. Like a wake boat does any more damage in a straight line than the power turns that I've seen A LOT of ski boats do to pick up a rider. Those turns thrash the water in many directions and takes longer to clear. Not to say a lot Wake boats don't do the same thing...they both drive me nuts. Crazy.gif

Newsflash: Wakeboarders prefer smooth water just as skiiers do...respect eachother and things go a lot smoother.

This is my biggest issue as a boat driver on my lake. I have an observer and mirror so I can watch where I am going. I see more people driving a boat turned around looking at the skier, tuber, wakeboarder etc. It drives me nuts and someone is going to get killed.

My biggest pet peeve is people pulling tubers just doing donuts in the middle of the lake. One person pulling a tube can pretty much mess up my whole lake. Even when I pull my kids on a tube (I can't avoid it) I follow a path around the lake maybe making some S turns then back in the same path. This way the wash clears out behind you even if it takes a little longer.

Fishermen

ROFL.gif I was thinking the same thing. Like a wake boat does any more damage in a straight line than the power turns that I've seen A LOT of ski boats do to pick up a rider. Those turns thrash the water in many directions and takes longer to clear. Not to say a lot Wake boats don't do the same thing...they both drive me nuts. Crazy.gif

Newsflash: Wakeboarders prefer smooth water just as skiiers do...respect eachother and things go a lot smoother.

My only issue with the wakeboarders is that they frequently don't understand that if we are dropped at the end of the slalom course we are going to get up and go again. Our slalom course is tucked off in a cove in a corner of our lake. We don't impact 90% of the lake. Invariably someone will come plowing across the course when we are either setting up or sometimes even in the middle of a pass. Last week I had to swerve off because someone dropped a skier right in front of us while I was in the middle of pulling a skier through the course.

After this happens we generally go over and talk to the people to tell them what is up and educate them. 80% of the time it works out fine. Once and a while we pick up a new slalom skier who is interested in learning. 20% of the time it doesn't work out at all and the person is an a**.

My only issue with the wakeboarders is that they frequently don't understand that if we are dropped at the end of the slalom course we are going to get up and go again. Our slalom course is tucked off in a cove in a corner of our lake. We don't impact 90% of the lake. Invariably someone will come plowing across the course when we are either setting up or sometimes even in the middle of a pass. Last week I had to swerve off because someone dropped a skier right in front of us while I was in the middle of pulling a skier through the course.

After this happens we generally go over and talk to the people to tell them what is up and educate them. 80% of the time it works out fine. Once and a while we pick up a new slalom skier who is interested in learning. 20% of the time it doesn't work out at all and the person is an a**.

This is a totally different situation than free skiing at 7am. If a wakeboarder (or skiier for that matter) is plowing through a slalom course that is in use, they are just rude, especially if it's tucked away. Our lake doesn't have one, so it's more or less just competing for smooth water for free ski/wake rides.

Edited by jshap

Bomod, great thread you have started. We can all learn from this. A nice way to vent, and also be educated on how we can all be more courtious.

A peeve of mine not mentioned yet.

This one is to all the folks who have thousands of watts of stereo music blasting off your wonderful tower speakers. Sure..... the person behind the boat may get all pumped up and do some nifty jumps (slalom skiers don't need music....... the sound of the wind is all the music they need), but alas, the rest of the shoreline has to put up with your same tunes. Sound really carries over water...... and if you assume that everyone loves to hear your music, you're being awfully rude and presumptuous. If you say your respectful of others, I have a hard time being convinced you've polled everyone within listening distance to see if they agree.

In the middle of a lake.... fine. But, most of us skiers or boarders want calm water. That usually means NEAR a shoreline. That means pretty close to others' ears.

Hey....why not buy the rider one of those new wearable water-resistant MP3 players and let them groove to their own tunes while everyone else on the lake enjoys the quiet.

I've tried not to YELL this pet peeve too loudly..... don't want to be accused of being too loud!

Edited by doughickey