Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fiber glass repair help!

Looking at buying a 2006 23lsv and the only issue with the boat is there is some fiberglass damage on the keel for beaching it in what I would assume was sand because it’s not rough or chip feels smooth. Do you think this should stop me from buying it? Or can it be fixed?

Depending on how bad it is it may only need to be buffed out. If it is missing the gel coat epoxy down to the fiberglass, a 1 foot long by 2 inch wide section cost about $1200.00 to fix on my buddies brand new Moomba CRAZ. :( 

You say “chip” which leads me to believe it’s pretty minor and I’d say play ball. If you said “chunk” on the other hand I’d be more Hesitant.

where are you located? Check with local detailers and fiberglass shops for a ballpark and get some pictures of their work.

• Like 1
On 5/11/2018 at 5:36 AM, Starlord said:

Looking at buying a 2006 23lsv and the only issue with the boat is there is some fiberglass damage on the keel for beaching it in what I would assume was sand because it’s not rough or chip feels smooth. Do you think this should stop me from buying it? Or can it be fixed?

Do you have pics?  If its only the gelcoat simple repair, if it has torn some fiberglass a little more involved.  I repaired some gel coat damage on a prior boat I owned from a sand bar I hit.  It's very easy to repair chipped gel coat especially under the boat where nobody can see it.  Cost me less than $35 and it actually turned out very good.

My new boat is going into the shop in a couple days for warranty gel coat repair on the keel. Small chips spread out about a foot. I’ll report back on the cost.