Sign in to follow this  
orwood59

Response lxi speed/rpm expectations

orwood59

Those with a similar setup or specific knowledge please comment:

I have an '05 LXi w/383 hammerhead and the suppression plate. The prop is an ACME 13x13 (as shipped from the factory). The boat has 200 hours and has never had any problems. It low idles a bit rougher than other hammerheads I've been in but I don't consider that a problem as it smooths out by 1000 rpm.

Yesterday while pulling a 175 lb barefooter with combined driver/observer weight of 325 lbs, no bimini, no wind, at sea level I could only get 47 mph and I was hitting the rev limiter (about 5200 rpms). Would those who run a similar setup consider this normal?

My crew typically BF's around 40 mph and at 40 it turns about 4000 rpm. I had not pulled this particular guy who likes it fast with this boat, in fact I had never even gone wide open. I had pulled him with my previous boat an '02 LX/hammerhead w/acme 13x13, and was able to go 49 without hitting the rev limiter.

Any thoughts on only getting 47 mph and needing 5200 rpm to do it?

edwin

Seems about right to me...the SSP will knock a couple mph off the top end. IIRC, your WOT speed is a tad higher that Tom Sawyer's RLXi with LS1 / SSP.

SmoothWaterMan
Those with a similar setup or specific knowledge please comment:

I have an '05 LXi w/383 hammerhead and the suppression plate. The prop is an ACME 13x13 (as shipped from the factory). The boat has 200 hours and has never had any problems. It low idles a bit rougher than other hammerheads I've been in but I don't consider that a problem as it smooths out by 1000 rpm.

<snip>

Any thoughts on only getting 47 mph and needing 5200 rpm to do it?

Seems quite normal to me. Actually better than normal. 47 with a footer....is a lot better than the typical 47+/- without a skier for a RLXi. This boat is slower than a Response or RLX remember.

At the same time, if you are hitting your rev limiter than you've it propped to pull hard on your starts, and apparently if you want to give up a little there you have the top end room to get a bit more. If it's an ACME you can add another .030"-.050" cup, or 1/2 a pitch, but if 47 was enough for him, I'd consider leaving it alone. Aside from big tournament footers like Billy Brzoza on a slalom pass or dam races, 47 is blazing.

Peter. :)