Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Adding a 3rd Battery

LS1boarder

Hey Crew!! I have a 2016 23LSV and was thinking about adding a 3rd battery before the boat goes in for the summer. I find myself often in situations where I am running the stereo while tied off and having to switch to combine batteries to prevent the sound from cutting out. I was thinking that I could just run a second battery in parallel to the accessory battery, and this would give me more capacity without draining my starting battery. While this sounds good in my head, it might not work how I expect it to. I need an expert here, what are your thoughts? Thanks for the help!!

In short, yes, two 12V batteries in parallel will double the reserve. I would suggest however, getting 2 new like batteries for the house bank, rather then just adding a new one to the existing used battery.  

If you do not already have an on-board charger, it would be a good addition. As the house bank gets larger in capacity, the less we want to rely on the alternator to replenish during a typical short trip back to the slip/ramp. 

Awesome, thanks folks! I do have an onboard charger so this should work well! I'll do 2 new batteries for the house bank, great suggestion!