Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do you deal with them?

lake-nazi

ragtop,

Malibudude is a personal friend of mine & I know for a fact that he didn't mean this statement

It's getting time to say bye to public lakes hello private lakes....for the vast majority problem solved.

the way that you seemed to take it. Norcali is right, he was talking about membership in a private lake & if you would bother to look around, they are actually quite plentiful. One thing that everyone here (I'm not picking on you, I mean everyone) needs to remember is that it can be very hard to actually get a person's true meaning when debating using a forum such as this one. It's all too easy to make assumptions based on reading between the lines. I see an awful lot of that going on here & people are getting their backs up as a result. Since I know many of these people personally, I know that much of the meaning that is being "read into" is not there.

One thing that I don't understand is the constant "rich" comments. What does that have to do with anything? Don't you think that you're being just as generalistic & stereotypical with a comment like that? Not trying to pick a fight, just an observation.

One more thing, if this thread degenerates the way that I think it will into personal insults, I will lock it. It's one thing to discuss how to deal with Wally's on the water (regardless of what brand, type or model their boat is), but it's quite another to start debasing each other over it & that's where this is headed.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ragtopdave06

• WakeGirl

• chathamsolutions

• NorCaliBu

Well I'm glad to see you took the time to reply to each point. Kudos!
:blush: ...so kind... :lol:
1-Private lakes in this part would be hard to come by, so I would just as soon have our lake remain public....My point, it's a bad idea to just say make public lakes private and that's all it takes.
:Doh: No one ever said that we should make public lakes private lakes.
IF you want to be part of a private lake due to a passion for watersports, which I have too, find a smaller lake in the area that already IS private, and join it?
That is exactly what Malibudude said he wanted to do.
2-So you mean, you were "assuming" that's why he did it? You have to admit, that would be an asinine reason to do something like you accused him of. Maybe just coincidence?
No, not coincidence. We flagged him down and asked him why he was out there innertubing in the cove where the course is located and his reply was that he was sick of listening to our boat at 7:00 in the morning.
...I will always insult lake front owners if they say something like a boater would intentionally get up and pull tubers at 7:30 JUST so people couldn't ski.
Well, I don't live lakefront (can't swing the $1 million+ price tag here in Cali). But the boater pulling the innertube at 7:30 AM was lakefront home owner...so will you "always insult" him? Or is he safe because he is not a snobby Malibu owner. (that was my point with my previous "misunderstood I/O driver" comment.
4-I never said that was ALL I saw, I said, and I will quote, "I come into this forum to get good information on Malibu boats and to talk with other owners of Malibu boats, and I see bashing of non-malibu boat owners, bashing of PWC riders, bashing of people that like to tube." Make sure you don't stick your foot in your mouth. Now if it's not in there, go find my post that I said that's ALL I saw.
While I will concede that you did not use the word "all", you listed what you saw and what you saw was "bashing of non-malibu boat owners, bashing of PWC riders, bashing of people that like to tube"...no mention of helpful tech articles, sound watersports technique advice, even advice regarding cell formula's for a Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet. This is a broad and diverse (and very friendly) community, please stop attacking it's members.

I would also contend that you are confusing chiding and ribbing with bashing. You think it's unreasonable that Malibu Boat owners think that their boats are superior? What about pride of ownership. PWC riders...so many of us have had close calls due to the stupidity of these water-users that I think they are a fair target for bashing. Tubes...don't get me started. :lol: I'm not their biggest fan to say the least but I have kids and they occasionally like to ride the tube so yes, I have one.

5-(1)Okay, so he didn't advocate it, but he sure did make a statement about it.
His quote was "It's getting time to say bye to public lakes hello private lakes...."That is not saying that he wants public waters converted to private just that he would rather frequent private lakes.

OK, I think I've wasted enough bandwidth. Crazy.gif Plus I still have more work to do before bed. Cry.gif

For the record, I went back & re-read the entire thread & I think that I only saw 1 reference to a Bayliner & that was made jokingly (at least that was how I took it) by the OP in the very first post. I find it interesting that such a stink was made over that. One other thing, it occurs to me that ragtop may not understand what we're talking about when we speak of "private lakes" (not being fecetious or condescending, just recognizing that you may not know what this is all about). Is this the case?

His quote was "It's getting time to say bye to public lakes hello private lakes...."That is not saying that he wants public waters converted to private just that he would rather frequent private lakes.

If anyone here would know how difficult it would be to convert a public lake to private (I've never even heard of that happening, anywhere), it would be Malibudude. ROFL.gif

(1)"No, not coincidence. We flagged him down and asked him why he was out there innertubing in the cove where the course is located and his reply was that he was sick of listening to our boat at 7:00 in the morning."

(2)"Well, I don't live lakefront (can't swing the $1 million+ price tag here in Cali). But the boater pulling the innertube at 7:30 AM was lakefront home owner...so will you "always insult" him? Or is he safe because he is not a snobby Malibu owner. (that was my point with my previous "misunderstood I/O driver" comment."

(3)"I would also contend that you are confusing chiding and ribbing with bashing. You think it's unreasonable that Malibu Boat owners think that their boats are superior? What about pride of ownership. PWC riders...so many of us have had close calls due to the stupidity of these water-users that I think they are a fair target for bashing. Tubes...don't get me started. I'm not their biggest fan to say the least but I have kids and they occasionally like to ride the tube so yes, I have one."

I like it when people stick to the subject and don't resort to namecalling. It makes discussing subjects much better and feels like we're all adults and not a bunch of kids that can come back with nothing better than childish insults (like I constantly see on wakeboarder.com) So...

(1) and (2)You never stated these circumstances. If you went back and looked at your original comment, I would have completely understood why you would have said what you did about this guy. Your original comment looked like complete assumption of the situation. This guy must be a complete nutcase to do what he did. And yes, as a lakefront owner, I would have probably told him what a nutjob he was, because like you said, you can't be a lakefront owner and not expect, or dislike, boat noise.

(3)What lake-nazi said was NOT chiding or ribbing. He was throwing out a serious put down of people that owned Bayliners. He has recently gone back and edited his comment so everyone can't see it though. And no, I have NO PROBLEM with Malibu owners feeling that their boats are superior. Hell, I'm now an owner of one and I KNOW they are. My problem was with the blatant bashing of a boat specific boat owner, making a broad statement that they are all bad drivers, or people. PWC riders, I own two, and ride them safely. Lots of people ride them safely. So there are some bad PWC riders? It's part of the lake. There are bad boaters too. I was almost run over on my PWC by a Malibu driver this past summer. He was sitting in the middle of the lake while we were riding by, his head was turned the entire time,looking back at his wakeboarder, without as much as turning his head to look in front of him, he took off and we had to swerve to avert being run over. I could have gone off on a tangent of how bad boaters are (I've seen a LOT of them), but I don't, because it's random, same as PWC riders. Tubers, I can't agree with you on hating them either. It's a lake, meant for fun. They are as free to ride as anyone else.

Now if they were in a real course, like you said, that's another story, but not if they are in the same lake as everyone. We have to go find good places to wakeboard or ski, and we realize that we have to put up with a crowded lake. We work around that by boarding early in the morning or late in the evening.

You seem like a pretty level headed person after our back and forth one on one discussions, but don't think I'm someone that doesn't understand things. I am absolutely sure there is more good than bad on this forum, same as all forums, but my point in this thread was on the bad. I'm very new here, so I haven't had time to "praise" the good I've found yet. It will come in time.

For the record, I went back & re-read the entire thread & I think that I only saw 1 reference to a Bayliner & that was made jokingly (at least that was how I took it) by the OP in the very first post. I find it interesting that such a stink was made over that. One other thing, it occurs to me that ragtop may not understand what we're talking about when we speak of "private lakes" (not being fecetious or condescending, just recognizing that you may not know what this is all about). Is this the case?

If anyone here would know how difficult it would be to convert a public lake to private (I've never even heard of that happening, anywhere), it would be Malibudude. ROFL.gif

True enough wakegirl, I just misunderstood. From the short sentence, it just looked like he was saying that. My mistake and I apologize.

ragtop,

Malibudude is a personal friend of mine & I know for a fact that he didn't mean this statement

It's getting time to say bye to public lakes hello private lakes....for the vast majority problem solved.

the way that you seemed to take it. Norcali is right, he was talking about membership in a private lake & if you would bother to look around, they are actually quite plentiful. One thing that everyone here (I'm not picking on you, I mean everyone) needs to remember is that it can be very hard to actually get a person's true meaning when debating using a forum such as this one. It's all too easy to make assumptions based on reading between the lines. I see an awful lot of that going on here & people are getting their backs up as a result. Since I know many of these people personally, I know that much of the meaning that is being "read into" is not there.

One thing that I don't understand is the constant "rich" comments. What does that have to do with anything? Don't you think that you're being just as generalistic & stereotypical with a comment like that? Not trying to pick a fight, just an observation.

One more thing, if this thread degenerates the way that I think it will into personal insults, I will lock it. It's one thing to discuss how to deal with Wally's on the water (regardless of what brand, type or model their boat is), but it's quite another to start debasing each other over it & that's where this is headed.

No need for locking. I don't get down to the level of insults unless I'm insulted. So far, I haven't felt that way from norcalibu. I ruffled his feathers with my comments, but he has made good arguments back to me. As for the rich comments, yes, maybe it is being a bit stereo typical, and I'm sorry. Coming over from the wakeboarder.com forum, I have to put up with a bunch of little rich kids that had their parentsbuy them boats or they are driving their parents boat, and they act so superior to other people. Same thing happens on the lake I'm on here in North Carolina. I detest listening to people act like they are so much better. We are a family that wouldn't be considered wealthy at all, and I had to work hard, and scrape, and save, to be able to afford my used Malibu, and I am very proud that I've made it to this point. I feel that everyone should have the right to play on the lakes and have a great time, if they are obeying the laws and being respectful to everyone. I cannot stand hearing some peoples comments that make it sound like just because some people don't make enough, or drive "Bayliners" that they aren't worthy. It's not something I think I see, I notice it in a lot of places. I've seen it on this forum no less than 3 times, where someone was degrading people that owned "Bayliners."

I know, it's life, I should deal with it and let it go. But it's disrespectful too.

No need for locking. I don't get down to the level of insults unless I'm insulted. So far, I haven't felt that way from norcalibu. I ruffled his feathers with my comments, but he has made good arguments back to me. As for the rich comments, yes, maybe it is being a bit stereo typical, and I'm sorry. Coming over from the wakeboarder.com forum, I have to put up with a bunch of little rich kids that had their parentsbuy them boats or they are driving their parents boat, and they act so superior to other people. Same thing happens on the lake I'm on here in North Carolina. I detest listening to people act like they are so much better. We are a family that wouldn't be considered wealthy at all, and I had to work hard, and scrape, and save, to be able to afford my used Malibu, and I am very proud that I've made it to this point. I feel that everyone should have the right to play on the lakes and have a great time, if they are obeying the laws and being respectful to everyone. I cannot stand hearing some peoples comments that make it sound like just because some people don't make enough, or drive "Bayliners" that they aren't worthy. It's not something I think I see, I notice it in a lot of places. I've seen it on this forum no less than 3 times, where someone was degrading people that owned "Bayliners."

I know, it's life, I should deal with it and let it go. But it's disrespectful too.

You should be proud of that.

Stick around & get to know the people here, you'll find that things are a bit different than over on Wakeboarder.com. :) I gave this a lot of thought last night & at first glance by someone that is new to the forum, things that are said may come across much differently than they are actually meant. Mainly because many of the people here know each outside of the forum so we have a familiarty with each other that may be misunderstood at first glance - that's something unique to this site that you won't find too many other places. As you get to know the members here, you will get to know their humor & that most comments that may appear to "bash" are more tongue & cheek, & made in fun than anything else. If you go back & re-read this thread, you'll find that nearly everyone agreed with you.

One other thing on the subject of Bayliners. This is an old thing that comes from the fact that back in the day, a Bayliner (there are other brands as well) was an entry level boat manufacturer that made it affordable for new boat owners to get into. And so the stereotype stems from the fact that there were a lot of rookie boat owners running around in Bayliners that really had no clue at how to drive a boat (the comments that you see about Bayliner owners have nothing to do with class differentiation, but with the stereotype that most Bayliner owners are rookies & new the game). Because of cost & their unique focus, tournament boats weren't typically purchased by new boat owners, they weren't even close to entry level. That's changed over the past 10 years with the advent of 15 & 20 year financing, as well as tournament boats that aren't nearly as narrowly focused as they once were. So because of that, we have a much higher rate of first time boat owners buying tournament boats. There was a time when the stereotype may have been valid, but maybe that needs to change. JM2C

Dave,

As it’s been pointed out my comment was my choice to decide or not to decide to join a private man made ski lake which affects no one but myself. Converting a public lake into a private lake would never happen and I’d not be in favor of that even being a water enthusiast.

Also I’ve met many people on the Crew and I’ll tell you that I’ve come to have great respect for all of them. We provide an excellent community for information and as unbiased as we can. We have members that own all sorts of makes and welcome them into our community, do we razz then yes, but I’d be honored to ski w/ any of them. To date I’ve been in a Crew members wedding, attended another’s wedding, helped a member move, watch each others pets etc to name a few. So hang around and you’ll find a great tight knit community that has many interests on and off the board.

Congratulations on living a dream of owning a Malibu as most of us can certainly understand and have lived it as well. I for one can tell you I’m not rich otherwise we’d own two boats….long story there…

Whooa. Waay too deep in here for me.

Apparently too deep for lake-nazi too. A couple of days ago he went back and changed the OP and apparently was pretty upset that this thread went the way it did. It seems that he thought people were bashing him personally, I don't see that in any post, but he took it that way. Bummer.

Only 10 posts, wonder if he'll ever post again, or even come back.

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....st&p=128170

Dave,

As it’s been pointed out my comment was my choice to decide or not to decide to join a private man made ski lake which affects no one but myself. Converting a public lake into a private lake would never happen and I’d not be in favor of that even being a water enthusiast.

Also I’ve met many people on the Crew and I’ll tell you that I’ve come to have great respect for all of them. We provide an excellent community for information and as unbiased as we can. We have members that own all sorts of makes and welcome them into our community, do we razz then yes, but I’d be honored to ski w/ any of them. To date I’ve been in a Crew members wedding, attended another’s wedding, helped a member move, watch each others pets etc to name a few. So hang around and you’ll find a great tight knit community that has many interests on and off the board.

Congratulations on living a dream of owning a Malibu as most of us can certainly understand and have lived it as well. I for one can tell you I’m not rich otherwise we’d own two boats….long story there…

Thanks for the reply and hanging around to let me know your perspective on the private lake thing. I did read it wrong, but when I was reading it, in this thread, and I was on the whole "bayliner" tangent, I just got a little ticked off. :blush: But as you all will learn as I grow into this community, I'm not a basher, namecaller, or worst off, dare I say it, troll. So thanks for staying in with the thread and not taking my bad mood to heart.

Thumbup.gif

Dave,

Thanks for the reply and hanging around to let me know your perspective on the private lake thing. I did read it wrong, but when I was reading it, in this thread, and I was on the whole "bayliner" tangent, I just got a little ticked off. :blush: But as you all will learn as I grow into this community, I'm not a basher, namecaller, or worst off, dare I say it, troll. So thanks for staying in with the thread and not taking my bad mood to heart.

Thumbup.gif

Hang with us Top,

Many are the days when I am having a really bad day at work and click on here for a few minutes and end up laughing one of my body parts off.

Wakegirl hit the nail on the head!

If you don't know me or want to know me so be it, however if you feel I have offended you or anyone else, all I ask is that you get clarification before passing judgement.

If you would have asked for the Bayliner definition I would have replied " where I live there are 5 Bayliner owners to 1 of anything else, so when there is an incident what do you think the odds are that a Bayliner is involved?

I have no personal problem with any brand boat or it's owner. My original question was how do others deal with Jet ski's and the disrespectful boating operators.

I would suggest if you don't have a sense of humor to get things clarified before replying to a post, this will avoid the un-needed bashing and a thread that has gone way out of control.

I joined this group to offer help and recieve help on many water sport issues. I don't think I am better than anyone else here, and I certainly would not call out anyone as a dumbass or idiot personally.

Please close this thread!

Wakegirl hit the nail on the head!

If you don't know me or want to know me so be it, however if you feel I have offended you or anyone else, all I ask is that you get clarification before passing judgement.

If you would have asked for the Bayliner definition I would have replied " where I live there are 5 Bayliner owners to 1 of anything else, so when there is an incident what do you think the odds are that a Bayliner is involved?

I have no personal problem with any brand boat or it's owner. My original question was how do others deal with Jet ski's and the disrespectful boating operators.

I would suggest if you don't have a sense of humor to get things clarified before replying to a post, this will avoid the un-needed bashing and a thread that has gone way out of control.

I joined this group to offer help and recieve help on many water sport issues. I don't think I am better than anyone else here, and I certainly would not call out anyone as a dumbass or idiot personally.

Please close this thread!

Done deal.