Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How do you deal with them?

lake-nazi

since many people seem to be offended and this thread died over a month ago, I will kill it for good?

I could have inserted any number of boat names, those that are offended missed the point.

as for bashing me personally does not bother me, it just shows your maturity.

Dumbass? no, A**hole! yes next time get it right!

Edited by lake-nazi
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ragtopdave06

• WakeGirl

• chathamsolutions

• NorCaliBu

I yell alot, wave my hands, honk and have been known to chase a few - if they get really close to a rider or the boat.

PWC vs. 23' LSV - they get the idea pretty quick.

I just ignore them. They are not to bad on the lakes I use, but out in the bay and ocean they can be a nuisance, so I treat them like seagulls and drive (at them) like they are not there. After many years on the water with the same boat(1970), they remember you from year to year. "There's that nut with the old blue boat!"

I just worry about them dinging my prop as they go under and then when they think they should jump my wake when I have a rider out. Other than that, the dumb ones are just like dumb boaters and the smart ones are just fine.

A name change wouldn't do you any harm.

I try too ignore them whenever possible......I too in the past have chased them down and screamed and cussed them even threatened a couple of them. Mad.gif Since I have gotten older and mellowed out somewhat, I now just pick up the cell phone and call my friendly water patrol officer who hates them as we do. I let him take car of them.

Ok, wait a minute, not ALL Jet SKiers are BAD! I own a Sea-Doo and we are VERY careful to not get in the way of other boaters, especially those who are pulling skiers, tubers or wakeboarders. I do agree that there are alot of idiot jet skiers out on the lake, but please don't label them ALL as being BAD.

By the way, I am a newbie here....my new 07 Wakesetter is due to arrive next week!

Welcome TN! Glad you've come aboard.

Your opinion of lake lice may change once you're looking for smooth water and it's continually mangeled by them.

You're right, there are a few good jetski owners out there - but they are far and few between.

I have a few things I like to do with Jet skiers Biggrin.gif

1 If I see them jumping others wake's and just sitting on the side line's waiting for the next big wake (like me) then I just drive straight at them. Not to the side but dead on. This gets them to start looking around and then they get the H--- out of my way.

2 If they do some how start to jump my wake then I take pics. Biggrin.gif (Stewart has a few pics on his cam) Then pick up the Cell phone. If that didn't work I'll wake them over and say "thanks I just called the cops and have a pic of you CF #" They run like H---. Biggrin.gif

3 Some are great people and don't mess with boaters.

I have to agree. Most jet skiers have no respect Mad.gif for anyone being pulled behind the boat. I have chased a few of them down and had a few choice words. I have two daughters and when they are behind the boat wakeboarding I'm real protective.

Do I like how most people act when they are on jetski? No! Do they have right to be on the water doing what they like (safely and legally)? Yes. Come to think of it, most people that I have observed skiing, tubing, boarding, jetskiing, etc, have very little to no boating etiquette.

I'm sure that there are many people on my lake that don't like some of the things that I do: early morning runs, my slalom course, using the same shore for hours because it is the only calm spot, skiing to the absolute last minute of sunset!

I guess what it all boils down to in my opinion is tolerance of others and their likes. Not always easy but the lake (water, world, etc) would be a better place if more people were tolerant and understanding. That's my .02.

I just worry about them dinging my prop as they go under and then when they think they should jump my wake when I have a rider out. Other than that, the dumb ones are just like dumb boaters and the smart ones are just fine.

A name change wouldn't do you any harm.

I think this just about sums it up for me.

Do I like how most people act when they are on jetski? No! Do they have right to be on the water doing what they like (safely and legally)? Yes. Come to think of it, most people that I have observed skiing, tubing, boarding, jetskiing, etc, have very little to no boating etiquette.

I'm sure that there are many people on my lake that don't like some of the things that I do: early morning runs, my slalom course, using the same shore for hours because it is the only calm spot, skiing to the absolute last minute of sunset!

I guess what it all boils down to in my opinion is tolerance of others and their likes. Not always easy but the lake (water, world, etc) would be a better place if more people were tolerant and understanding. That's my .02.

I agree with part of your statement.

But how tolerant would you be if your child or family member was behind the boat doing what they love and a jet skier starts jumping your wake and just so happens (accidently) hits one of your family members! For me being a father and caring friend I don't like boats, jet skis to close. I will even change my direction so that a boat will not be on the same path as me.

I was in the boat and a friend of my mine was doing a double up and we had one get between the rider and the boat. The rider had to pull up the rope to not clothes line the idiot on the jet ski. When she was confronted she flipped us off and was looking to fight the only female in the boat.

I like the cut the landyard trick.

I really can't see the point of PWC. Once you've been round the Lake 4,000 times it's deja vu I would have thought. Then it's a whole lot like a boat load of wakeboarders on a ski lake.

I really can't see the point of PWC. Once you've been round the Lake 4,000 times it's deja vu I would have thought. Then it's a whole lot like a boat load of wakeboarders on a ski lake.

I guess it depends on what you have one for......we don't own one for the purpose to jump every wake that a boat makes on the lake.....we have ours just for fun riding purposes....it is sometimes just nice to ride around on hot day, keeping you cooler than riding on a boat....our lakes here have alot of fingers and coves to explore and you can get in spots on a PWC that you can't get to or wouldn't want to go with a boat. We have another couple that we 'doo with and we aren't out there to be a nuisance to other boaters.....it's especially nice for us girls when we want to go to the lake for a day when our husbands are working.

2 If they do some how start to jump my wake then I take pics. Biggrin.gif (Stewart has a few pics on his cam) Then pick up the Cell phone. If that didn't work I'll wave (sp) them over and say "thanks I just called the cops and have a pic of you CF #" They run like H---. Biggrin.gif

That's a good one. Since most troublesome Jet Ski drivers are males between 16 and 25, they probably don't want a confrontation with Johnny Law.

It all boils down to common courtesy. I have no issues with people riding them but if they get too close I will just dial up my friendly DNR Officer. They will drop the hammer on them. Last year a woman had to get air lifted due to a collision with a PWC....Zero Tolerance for stupidity up there now.

But how tolerant would you be if your child or family member was behind the boat doing what they love and a jet skier starts jumping your wake and just so happens (accidently) hits one of your family members! For me being a father and caring friend I don't like boats, jet skis to close. I will even change my direction so that a boat will not be on the same path as me.

I agree that if the jet skiier is being unsafe and getting too close, then you should say something. But at the same time, people on here saying they aim and drive at the jet skiiers. How would you feel if your family member was on a jet ski and a nice Malibu turned and deliberatly headed straight for them.

Lake-nazi. You act like all Bayliner and Jet ski drivers are stupid. Believe me, I've seen more than my share of Malibu's and Mastercrafts with drivers that have no idea what they're doing. Just because you have the money to afford something nice doesn't mean you know how to use it. At the same time, I had a Bayliner for 10 years before this season when we got the Malibu? Did I all of a sudden learn how to drive when I got this boat? No. I've been careful with my boat for 10 years, and I was just as safe with that boat as I am this one.

Being on a lake that is known for "offing" jetskiers at an unusually high rate, I have seen a lot of stupidity. At least once a weekend we see something that makes you gasp. Most often it is the jetski full of teenagers that turns full speed in front of a moving boat - this happens a lot.

My favorite is to watch for "MO 1234 RN" numbers... the RN stands for Rental and you just know they will do something stupid! This extends to rental boats as well, they also do stupid things it's just usually not as dramatic.

Two weekends ago we saw a pretty good one... We have a 2 mile "no wake" area in a very heavy populated area, they rent jetskis right in the middle of it so you have to idle to get to an area you can ride. Most renters don't understand idle. The waterpatrol is alway in this area pulling boats over. We are sitting at a buddy's dock watching the boaters when these two rental skis come flying around the corner out into the lake (all no wake area with about 50 boats idleing through) the waterpatrol takes off from across the lake and catches up pulls one guy over and tells him idle speed only (we are guessing here, but chances are that's what he said) the other guy keeps going. So the waterpatrol starts to go after the other guy then the first guy takes off again... he then changes course and stops the first guy again. This time we can only imagine what he had to say! It looked as if the renters might not of understood English very well... Funny in a wierd way, stoopid ® in every way!

Well as rude and inconsiderate as jet skiers are, many boaters are just as rude; in some cases their actions are actually more dangerous. If you want to see the worst of the worst just come to my lake we see it all....

I agree with part of your statement.

I fully agree with you, that is why I added "safely and legally". I'm really not a big fan of them, but I try to remain tolerant so long as they are being smart. Unfortunately not always the case!

Being on a lake that is known for "offing" jetskiers at an unusually high rate, I have seen a lot of stupidity. At least once a weekend we see something that makes you gasp. Most often it is the jetski full of teenagers that turns full speed in front of a moving boat - this happens a lot.

My favorite is to watch for "MO 1234 RN" numbers... the RN stands for Rental and you just know they will do something stupid! This extends to rental boats as well, they also do stupid things it's just usually not as dramatic.

Two weekends ago we saw a pretty good one... We have a 2 mile "no wake" area in a very heavy populated area, they rent jetskis right in the middle of it so you have to idle to get to an area you can ride. Most renters don't understand idle. The waterpatrol is alway in this area pulling boats over. We are sitting at a buddy's dock watching the boaters when these two rental skis come flying around the corner out into the lake (all no wake area with about 50 boats idleing through) the waterpatrol takes off from across the lake and catches up pulls one guy over and tells him idle speed only (we are guessing here, but chances are that's what he said) the other guy keeps going. So the waterpatrol starts to go after the other guy then the first guy takes off again... he then changes course and stops the first guy again. This time we can only imagine what he had to say! It looked as if the renters might not of understood English very well... Funny in a wierd way, stoopid ® in every way!

we keep a water baloon launcher in the boat and a case of 6 0z coca colas. as you have gathered thus far we replace the water baloons witht these small objects of affection. we never have hit one but if you launch one or two of these colas at them they tend to not ride behind your boat anymore. oh yeah by the way i was at one time a sponsored ski racer and loved riding skis. when done properly it can be a lot of fun for everyone. problem is is anybody with no sense can spend 2-10k on a ski.

If I'm not pulling anyone, I simply stop my boat and glare at them. Whether they see me or not, they usually just go away. If I have a rider behind me, and they are being especially unsafe, I will stop the boat and yell and wave them off. If that doesn't work, I follow them or call the Lake Patrol.

With as many of them as we have on our lake, I would say the majority of them operate in a semi-safe manner. The wake jumpers are pretty few and far between. They all do their little donuts and thrash up the water pretty bad, but that's not really hurting anyone but the surface of the water. I usually just give them a wide berth and hope they stay away from me. In reality, the S-turning, zig zagging tube pulling boats are more dangerous than the PWCs on our lake, especially when they feel the need to do this in the established ski/wake lanes closer to shore. Mad.gif

That being said, I have very little tolerance for PWCs when I'm pulling my kids though. My temper will flare pretty quickly if they do something stupid and endanger my children. Luckily, I haven't had too many problems with that so far.

At my lake it's actually legal to hunt the filthy animals from June to October. You have to get a jetski hunting liscense but it's no more expensive than a fishing permit. Crazy.gif