Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Advice for stiffer, close toe bindings?

ibelonginprison

Last year I took a bad spill... like, real bad. Dipped the front toeside after landing on the face of the wave while my hips were a little rotate forward, and it snatched the front of the board backwards and out, and took my ankle with it. I sprained some stuff, tore some stuff, and fractured the ankle bone. 

Been doing lots of rehab over the off season and it's back to about as normal as it will ever be, but I'm almost 40 now, and once you have an injury like that around this age typically it will not be as strong as it once was.

So I'm looking for  advice on a decently stiff, closed toe binding, from some of you guys that have tried out a few. Not brand specific. Ronix, Hyperlite, Liquid Force etc. as long as it's not a system binding, most anything will bolt up. 

Anyone have any experience they want to share?

Take another year off the board and improve your surfing and skiing.  If it was that messed up, don't push it.

I've got a lot of years of extreme sports under my belt and know that you won't miss one year and you may get wiser over that year.

I have the Ronix Preston. It's a medium stiffness but a major upgrade from the Ronix Kai and the other OT I had before.  Once they are broken in, they are pretty comfy.  They aren't very expensive either if you can catch a prior year model.

50 minutes ago, minnmarker said:

Take another year off the board and improve your surfing and skiing.  If it was that messed up, don't push it.

I've got a lot of years of extreme sports under my belt and know that you won't miss one year and you may get wiser over that year.

Yeah, that's not gonna happen. LOL
I probably won't go for the tricks I had planned for last season, but I missed all of last season... ain't happenin' again. lol

43 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

I have the Ronix Preston. It's a medium stiffness but a major upgrade from the Ronix Kai and the other OT I had before.  Once they are broken in, they are pretty comfy.  They aren't very expensive either if you can catch a prior year model.

I've ridden a board that had a pair of those on it. You're right, they were definitely comfortable. 

I hated the ronix Preston’s.  I thought they were super uncomfortable so if you thought those were comfy I will open your eyes to bindings the way they should be.  If you go Ronix, Make sure they have the intuition liner.  I’m currently riding the parks bindings and it’s better than tennis shoes but too soft for what you are looking for.  The code 55 is also very comfy and a much stiffer boot on outside.  Think those are no longer made but you can pick up prior years models cheaply still.  Not sure if the new model that replaced them are the same.  You can also heat mold them (I just use a hair dryer) to make them perfect fit.

3 minutes ago, t a said:

I hated the ronix Preston’s.  I thought they were super uncomfortable so if you thought those were comfy I will open your eyes to bindings the way they should be.  If you go Ronix, Make sure they have the intuition liner.  I’m currently riding the parks bindings and it’s better than tennis shoes but too soft for what you are looking for.  The code 55 is also very comfy and a much stiffer boot on outside.  Think those are no longer made but you can pick up prior years models cheaply still.  Not sure if the new model that replaced them are the same.  You can also heat mold them (I just use a hair dryer) to make them perfect fit.

I'm listening lol. I had the Ronix kai and a pair of obrien's before that.  Can you provide some links to new stuff?

9 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

I'm listening lol. I had the Ronix kai and a pair of obrien's before that.  Can you provide some links to new stuff?

preach...

**pulls out notepad**
*sits down cross legged**

Educate a brotha...

• Like 2

Ronix ones are good and stiff - pretty comfy

Ronix franks alittle more flexible

Hyperlight team closed toe bindings I actually like better than the ronix.   

If you are worried about ankle Injuries again the key is for the binding to come off when you crash hard. 

Edited by Chrisjjbrown
6 hours ago, ibelonginprison said:

These would be perfect for a stiffer boot.   The liner in these feels way better than the Preston’s.  I’ve ridden lots of closed toe boots and i will never look at another boot than the top model ronix boots.  I always buy previous years models to save money but I would spend twice as much on intuition vs the lower quality ones.  Ones, Franks, parks, code all had the intuition I believe.  Sets got longer and better cause feet quit hurting.  I feel comfortable quality bindings are the most important part of the whole setup

edit: I rode the Preston’s the last 2 seasons just as a cheaper option but switched back to parks this year.  It was money very well spent and couldn’t be happier about it

Edited by t a

I’m with @minnmarker. With wakeboarding, it isn’t whether or not you have a major injury, but when, how bad, what body part(s), and how many times.

i say ski and/or surf. Save the stress on the body. 🤔

47 minutes ago, braindamage said:

I’m with @minnmarker. With wakeboarding, it isn’t whether or not you have a major injury, but when, how bad, what body part(s), and how many times.

We will all get there someday but I do have some friends pushing 50 that are still trying to learn new inverts and that is inspiring for this 31 yr old

• Like 2
9 hours ago, braindamage said:

NOT!!!! 57 and hadn’t gone w2w since 6/2015 since broken femur, one wake hops last year, this is so much more fun and I’m super happy.  I may post s regret when hurt but I am so glad my wife put a foot in my **s to get me riding again.  She blew out retina in her 1st month if riding 6 years ago , last two years riding snd she’s doing one wake hops , 59 and killing it.  We do skate for a break , still surf a lot but definetly less, She’ll Be skiing when weather warms up

Ride on @ibelonginprison!!!!!! 

Edited by granddaddy55
3 hours ago, granddaddy55 said:

NOT!!!! 57 and hadn’t gone w2w since 6/2015 since broken femur, one wake hops last year, this is so much more fun and I’m super happy.  I may post s regret when hurt but I am so glad my wife put a foot in my **s to get me riding again.  She blew out retina in her 1st month if riding 6 years ago , last two years riding snd she’s doing one wake hops , 59 and killing it.  We do skate for a break , still surf a lot but definetly less, She’ll Be skiing when weather warms up

Ride on @ibelonginprison!!!!!! 

@granddaddy55makes my point. To each his own!!! Happy wakeboarding!!🤙

+ another 1 for the Ronix Ones. Bad ankles here too and on top of that they have been my longest lasting bindings yet.

21 hours ago, minnmarker said:

I did only suggest that he take some time off to heal and possibly reflect on the tricks he is attempting - not that he quit wake boarding.  I'm almost 62 and still board and get air, but I stay upright.

"tore some stuff" can mean a lot of things, I know.  None of them good or quick to heal.

Edited by minnmarker
  • Like 1

I'll also endorse the Ronix Ones. I have some lingering foot and ankle issues and the heat moldable liner helps with the feet and the stiffness also supports the ankle. Just be warned that if you land awkwardly and your ankles are locked then in the force has to travel somewhere. I've tweaked my knee a couple times thanks to that, but thankfully nothing major.

Mine are from 2013 and are still in great shape and I have only had to change out the lace locks. 

Ronix 55s were the stiffest in the lineup.  Ronix ones were just a little less stiff.  Parks are softer.  I've ridden in Ones, 55s, Parks and now use RXTs (soft newer offering).  They will all be comfy.  If you want something newer, I believe the 55 was Dean Smith's boot.  (His board was the Code 22, so I believe the Code 55 boot would go right along and those are stiff.)  His new board is the darkside.  So I would assume the darkside boot is the new stiff boot.  

I shattered my tibia/fibia along with all the tendons in my ankle.  Thus, I was in a similar situation and needed a set of stiff  bindings.  After trying numerous pairs I found the CWB dowdy bindings to be the most comfortable and supportive.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2018 at 3:22 PM, t a said:

After riding all weekend, @t a is right.  Prestons are not as comfy as I remembered.... 

1 hour ago, hunter77ah said:

After riding all weekend, @t a is right.  Prestons are not as comfy as I remembered.... 

Yep.  My feet would hurt all set and eventually start to go numb after about 15-20 min.  I can ride all day in the parks’.

7 minutes ago, t a said:

Yep.  My feet would hurt all set and eventually start to go numb after about 15-20 min.  I can ride all day in the parks’.

Do they fit true to size? I found an outlet pair of 12s that I'm considering.  I usually wear a size 12.5 or 13

5 minutes ago, hunter77ah said:

Do they fit true to size? I found an outlet pair of 12s that I'm considering.  I usually wear a size 12.5 or 13

On the parks? Yes they are much better than the Preston’s.  I wear an 11 shoe and went with 11 binding on the parks.  On the Preston’s I was forced to go up to a 12.  I’m not sure how much they’ll pack out, 1/2 size you’re prob ok but a full size I wouldn’t count on it.