Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'13 Vtx won't go in gear

My 2013 20 VTX doesn't reliably go into forward gear.  Reverse works fine.  If I push the throttle/shifter ahead a bit more than is usual, it will often go into gear but the rpm is higher.  I'm guessing this is fly by wire so there is no cable to adjust?  Can an adjustment be made to make sure the boat goes reliably into gear or does something need to be replaced?

Sounds like the shifter needs to be replaced.  The shifter pivot has some lobes on it that actuate the forward and reverse switches, sounds like the forward switch may be bad.  You could take it apart and attempt to replace the switch, as I recall it they were a pretty standard looking switch.

Check the cable where it is attached on the trans housing to discount that. I know I have had issues when I would pull the cable out of the housing mount to clean and forget to put it back in and secure the latch for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Turns out it is a switch and circuit board in the shifter.  Livorsi, through the Malibu dealer will rebuild it for $150 and needs 3-5 business days.  They will not send out the parts.  Otherwise a new one is $749.