Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Low voltage on Perfect Pass display

OLDGUY

Ok every one in a while the perfect pass would start flickering off and on. The display on the perfect pass shows about 1 1/2 to 2 volts lower than the dash display,  also my clock has voltage display. They both were 13.8 volts. So I pulled the dash and checked the purple wire going to the perfect pass it was 13.8 but the display shows 11.2. Any thoughts.

Flickering while you are driving? Perhaps a loose connection somewhere....or corrosion starting? I would pull every connection, inspect and clean just to isolate. I know a lot of the popular battery tests can be wrong, there are a few tried and true methods. Have you fully charged the batteries and then it happens right after that or are you counting on the readings as to whether the voltage is high or not? I have seen bad batteries show 11.8 voltage before but by no means am I an expert at diagnosing them. Happened to be standing there when a pro did it that time, lol

25 minutes ago, OLDGUY said:

checked the purple wire going to the perfect pass it was 13.8 but the display shows 11.2. Any thoughts.

Did you use the PP's ground for this test?

Sounds like a bad ground.  Check all connections to the display for tight connections and maybe ad a dab of dielectric grease to each plug/connector.

Edited by BlackBluMalibu
21 minutes ago, MLA said:

Did you use the PP's ground for this test?

No I used the negative buss.

31 minutes ago, Infinitysurf said:

Flickering while you are driving? Perhaps a loose connection somewhere....or corrosion starting? I would pull every connection, inspect and clean just to isolate. I know a lot of the popular battery tests can be wrong, there are a few tried and true methods. Have you fully charged the batteries and then it happens right after that or are you counting on the readings as to whether the voltage is high or not? I have seen bad batteries show 11.8 voltage before but by no means am I an expert at diagnosing them. Happened to be standing there when a pro did it that time, lol

Flickering right after you first start the boat after being out on the water a couple of hours. I have four batteries (3 house 1 Start) on board battery charger. Any way once the alternator kicks in it stops. The volts are still low but high enough to stop blinking on the PP.

Edited by OLDGUY