Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wake for skiing behind VTX?

drbach

Anyone slaloming behind a VTX?  How does it compare to other crossover boats? 

I am Skiing behind a 2007 21 LSV, 32mph, orange.  How will the VTX compare at center pylon?

Anyone ski behind the Nautique or Mastercraft crossover?

6 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

What year vtx are you looking at?

I'll be interested to hear your feedback when you get your new boat dialed in for skiing.  With the right prop is it as good as a 2013-2015 VTX?  

9 hours ago, drbach said:

Anyone slaloming behind a VTX?  How does it compare to other crossover boats? 

I am Skiing behind a 2007 21 LSV, 32mph, orange.  How will the VTX compare at center pylon?

Anyone ski behind the Nautique or Mastercraft crossover?

22 off is a bad place to be behind anything short of a TXi but VTX should be better than what you have now. 

• Like 3
ahopkins22LSV
7 hours ago, Sixer said:

I'll be interested to hear your feedback when you get your new boat dialed in for skiing.  With the right prop is it as good as a 2013-2015 VTX?  

That is the big question! I’ll be reporting back for sure. 

40 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

22 off is a bad place to be behind anything short of a TXi but VTX should be better than what you have now. 

I agree with this. 2013-15 has the center pylon and will be pretty good, but I’d probably mess around with rope length to make sure you are not in the rooster tail bump. 

Feed back on the 2016+ is few in far between. We have one on order and I will be putting it through the paces this summer to try to find the best setup. 

I've been skiing a 20 vtx 3D hull since 2013.  I'll warn you that I had my center pylon replaced twice then malibu engineered me a brand new design.  The green plastic stuff would swell and I'd have to pull the ski pylon out with a come a long.  The re engineered one is all metal and there's no green plastic stuff to swell up.  The wake is acceptable above 32mph with the front ballast take filled.  It's better with light gas.  If you don't fill the front ballast tank (BTW it's an option...you might not have it) the wake has a nasty sharp lip that will throw you.  The wake is not as good as my prior mid engined Xti, especially at 30 mph.  At 34-36 mph the wake is pretty good on the VTX.  You really should try skiing behind a 20Vtx first to make sure it meets your needs.  Also, if it doesn't have a functional front ballast tank, do not even consider using it for slalom skiing, especially under 34mph.

ahopkins22LSV
4 minutes ago, DrFred said:

I've been skiing a 20 vtx 3D hull since 2013.  I'll warn you that I had my center pylon replaced twice then malibu engineered me a brand new design.  The green plastic stuff would swell and I'd have to pull the ski pylon out with a come a long.  The re engineered one is all metal and there's no green plastic stuff to swell up.  The wake is acceptable above 32mph with the front ballast take filled.  It's better with light gas.  If you don't fill the front ballast tank (BTW it's an option...you might not have it) the wake has a nasty sharp lip that will throw you.  The wake is not as good as my prior mid engined Xti, especially at 30 mph.  At 34-36 mph the wake is pretty good on the VTX.  You really should try skiing behind a 20Vtx first to make sure it meets your needs.  Also, if it doesn't have a functional front ballast tank, do not even consider using it for slalom skiing, especially under 34mph.

I wouldn’t not consider a boat without a front tank. It’s not that big in a VTX, 150ish pounds if I remember correctly. You could easily make that up with three lead wake bags. 

• Like 2

Looking at the 2018 or 2019. Want to ski behind it to try it. Also looking at trying the Nautique. They have the plate at the bottom rear of transom to flatten out the wake.

8 hours ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

Oh and here is the wake on a 2015 at 36mph 22 off from the center pylon. I didn’t ski it at 32 mph though. 

Looking good

• 2 months later...

I did a demo behind a 2018 VTX.   Not a good wake for me.   Moved rope length around, added front ballast.  Still not a good wake.   I am a 22 off, 32 mph skier.

I also barefoot, this boat can only go to 40 mph, a little slow on the take off, they have slowed these hulls down so much for the wakeboarder.  

Now I am looking at the Repsonse, will probably go this route.

3 minutes ago, drbach said:

I did a demo behind a 2018 VTX.   Not a good wake for me.   Moved rope length around, added front ballast.  Still not a good wake.   I am a 22 off, 32 mph skier.

I also barefoot, this boat can only go to 40 mph, a little slow on the take off, they have slowed these hulls down so much for the wakeboarder.  

Now I am looking at the Repsonse, will probably go this route.

Can only go 40?  That would be dependent on how it was propped

I agree, this was an out of the box boat, so it had the smaller motor and standard prop.   We could get the larger motor and prop accordingly.

8 minutes ago, drbach said:

I agree, this was an out of the box boat, so it had the smaller motor and standard prop.   We could get the larger motor and prop accordingly.

What was the "standard" prop?  There were 3 different "standards" the year my boat was bought and it depended on what you wanted to do with it.

I am not sure, went out with the dealer, he agreed that a diff prop and larger motor could be the answer.

I figure the dealer buys a boat for stock inventory, they are not goling overboard with prop and engine options.  They tend to make them look nice, some options inside.  Most buyers seem to look at the colors more than the engine or prop.

I'll say again, VTX "wakes" are fine, even on the new one.  What is not fine under many setups is the propwash.  Some of them have 1.76 reductions.  that 30% more than many of the prior era.  You can't, in my opinion, use the same 3 prop options for the vtx as you do with an MXZ (which were the factory offerings, at least in 2016).  A smaller, steeper prop would significantly reduce the wash.  And if drbach only hit 40, it was WAY underpropped.

Edited by 85 Barefoot
35 minutes ago, drbach said:

85 Barefoot, great information, , I will go back to the dealer and discuss.  Maybe they can talk to factory and help me figure this out.

Man, that thing is swinging a 15x14 with a 1.76:1 redux?  That's crazy!  No wonder it only hit 40 MPH.

Edit:  That has to be a 1.5:1...  The math of a 1.76:1 with 14 pitch would be about a 32 MPH top end boat.

@drbach maybe see if your dealer has an Acme 537 laying around and have them pull you again.  That's probably what you have on your current boat.  That's probably too much pitch for regular surfing, but if you primarily slalom and foot, it might be a good choice.

Edited by UWSkier
4 hours ago, 85 Barefoot said:

I'll say again, VTX "wakes" are fine, even on the new one.  What is not fine under many setups is the propwash.  Some of them have 1.76 reductions.  that 30% more than many of the prior era.  You can't, in my opinion, use the same 3 prop options for the vtx as you do with an MXZ (which were the factory offerings, at least in 2016).  A smaller, steeper prop would significantly reduce the wash.  And if drbach only hit 40, it was WAY underpropped.

@85 BarefootI agree with the wakes on the new VTX's.  32mph and up the wake is a non issue in my opinion and it allows you to surf and barefoot behind the same boat.  What prop do you use on your 16' VTX and what speed can you get out of it a top end?  

@drbachI studied and demo'd all 3 crossover boats MC, Nautique and Malibu and i found that you would have to upgrade engines in the other two in order to get the performance that the VTX comes with standard, and the added cost for upgrading engines is a bit steep. The wakes are all very similar at 30+ mph.   

• Like 1

I only had my vtx for a short while, but it was the factory high altitude option, which was WAY too much prop, and my mistake at ordering, then again, this VTX propwash "issue" didn't really come up until that redesign.