Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pls help choose a boat

Baz787

Hi

I’m looking at an Axis A20 (2011) and a Malibu WS VLX (2004).  Main goal is surfing.

The VLX has had sea use but has a flush kit fitted and flushed after each use.  Not sure how much weight to put on fresh v salt usage?

i guess the VLX is a bit bigger so wave should be better but A20 is a newer Hull shape so maybe better?

Many thanks for your help

Are they similar in price?  That vlx should be 25-28k at most, especially with salt.  I would lean toward the axis.  Will prob perform similarly because of size but the axis is newer and better looking imo

There can be all kinds of hidden issues with salt water boat. Unless you are stealing it.....run away. Doesn't matter if they flushed the boat after every use, salt water gets everywhere. You will have corrosion behind all electronics, trailer probably rotten on the inside and who knows what else. I would be uneasy on 2 year old boat....on 2004, forget it.

There is a reason nearly every boat thats for sale specifically says NEVER USED in saltwater.. instant turn off to all buyers if it touches salt even once period.. 

Sadly my boat sees some salt, but just a tiny bit when it falls off my limed up cerveza!

• Like 2

Axis A20 (2011) with no trailer (but I probably don't need one) is 30k Euros (35k USD)

Pics: - https://photos.app.goo.gl/iftxkDjvdhGXa1On2

Malibu WS VLX (2004) with trailer but salt use with flush out kit has trailer is 20k Euros (24k USD)

Pics - https://photos.app.goo.gl/tqpZoolw237UR1mf1

To my inexperienced eye the VLX looks in decent condition for it's age.  I was thinking of paying a Marine Surveyor to check it out but that'll cost 400 Euros.  Seller says everything works on it in terms of pumps and gauges.

Many thanks to all of your for your input,
Baz

If you are "inexperienced" with boats as you say, then buy the newest boat with the lowest hours that you can afford. Otherwise you will spend lots of time and money fixing the less expensive older boat, time that could have been spent on the water.

• Like 1

Glad I checked with you guys - sounds like the older Malibu carries too much risk of problems - I'll take your advice with thanks.