Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Crack in the water jacket??

Hey Crew,

It appears that I have a pin hole in the water jacket that houses the drive shaft.  Has anyone ever taken this off and if so, how do you reseal it? I am guessing some type of resin from the inside out, but then when you screw it back down, how do you seal the edges?

Any insight is appreciated!!

Thanks

When you post a question, the kind of boat you have is helpful.  Now with some extra clicking i can see yiu have a 2015 txi.  So questions

water jacket? Do you mean the shaft seal? Is it a dripless seal? Where is the water coming from? Got a picture if you don't know what the parts are called?  Isnt a 2015 under warranty? 

Thanks for the quick reply, its not the dripless seal, its prior to that, where the shaft goes down into the hull.  I will take a picture tomorrow and send it.  when you follow the drive shaft down, you pass the dripless seal and then it goes into the hull or as I call it the water jacket, then out the bottom of the hull. The challenge with a warranty is there are no dealers within 15hr tow, so I am a little out of luck.

I appreciate the response...pardon the pun!

Sounds like he's talking about the HDS box. I think there are several threads on here about repairing this if you search for it. Seems to be a known problem.

5 hours ago, drh said:

Sounds like he's talking about the HDS box. I think there are several threads on here about repairing this if you search for it. Seems to be a known problem.

Does a TXI have a HDS box?

On 2018-05-07 at 7:14 PM, reggie said:

Hey Crew,

It appears that I have a pin hole in the water jacket that houses the drive shaft.  Has anyone ever taken this off and if so, how do you reseal it? I am guessing some type of resin from the inside out, but then when you screw it back down, how do you seal the edges?

Any insight is appreciated!!

Thanks

Sorry guys, having trouble posting this picture...will continue to try

@reggie Looks like an HDS box to me. Same thing I have on my Sportster. Do a Google search for "Malibu HDS leak" and some results will come up for this site. Also, just a note your link downloaded a file without an extension so I added .jpg to the end and was able to open it if you want to rename it in case others have this problem.

Thanks guys, I have it removed and will fix. My next questions, what do you use to remove the old sealant and then what do you recommend to reseal with?

will nail polish remover take off the old sealant?

thanks