Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 Malibu 247 Struggling with Ballast Full

browneye253

First weekend out on a new to me 247.  We purchased from a dealer and had them throw in a pair of 700lb bags in the rear lockers.  When I filled all the ballast (Front, Center, Rear & Bags) the boat couldn't get to 10-12mph and the wedge was stowed.  To be honest I was expecting the boat to be able to plane out with full ballast just maybe a little slower.   During my demo ride, the dealer filled all of the factory ballast w/ the exception of the extra sacks in the lockers and the boat had no problem with that.   Am I expecting too much?  I've read many posts and seems like people are throwing gobs of weight in these 247's so I was a little shocked by the performance.

Second question is how the heck do you monitor your fuel level while playing with the ballast.  My gauge was all over the place as I moved water around.  Do I just check before filling and then guess or can I trust the gauge?

Edited by browneye253

You need bow weight.  You are expecting too much and it's not the boat's fault.  You can't throw an additional 1400lbs in the back and expect the same results.

If you fix this, your second question will be answered as well.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but if you actually read the posts you are claiming to have read, you wouldn't be having these issues as you would know about adding bow weight (and would know what a dong sac is).  It's frustrating when "new" guys bash their boats (and their brands) without doing a bit of due diligence.

Hope you get it fixed and have a great summer with it!

Not bashing and I was pretty confident it was a mistake I was making just wanted to start the conversation so I could get some experienced people to lend me a hand.  I had read about adding the bow sac but seemed that was being recommended to assist with the excessive bow rise and helping when you were loaded with a lot of people in the boat.  I'll give it a shot w/ just the stock ballast and not fill the bags and go from there. 

On the fuel one am I correct to assume that the stock ballast filled would lower the boat evenly in the water or would the rear still be somewhat lower?  Does the gauge account for this?  

Thanks for the tips.

I have a 23 lsv that I fill with a lot of ballast... 1100 rear plug in play, 400s under coffin seat, 1100 triangle in front... For surfing I can fill them all up and achieve 13 mph top speed (depending on crew size I have to drop some weight out of rears) plus factory rear and center sub floor tanks....

So here are my questions:

1. What engine do you have
  2. What prop do you have
  3. What altitude are you at

On your fuel gauge... It is correct when it is fuel.. and it is correct when it is empty... This is what I was taught by my flight instructor when flying airplanes and I use it with my boat as well... it will be mostly accurate when the boat is not moving in the water and with no ballast... This is with all boats.... so mine gets a full tank before every outing... 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

I have a 23 lsv that I fill with a lot of ballast... 1100 rear plug in play, 400s under coffin seat, 1100 triangle in front... For surfing I can fill them all up and achieve 13 mph top speed (depending on crew size I have to drop some weight out of rears) plus factory rear and center sub floor tanks....

2. What prop do you have

On your fuel gauge... It is correct when it is fuel.. and it is correct when it is empty... This is what I was taught by my flight instructor when flying airplanes and I use it with my boat as well... it will be mostly accurate when the boat is not moving in the water and with no ballast... This is with all boats.... so mine gets a full tank before every outing... 

Yeah we really need all 3 of these questions answered.  My less powerful 2007 247 Hammerhead can still get up to and hold surf speed with 1100's in the rear and stock full with wedge deployed.  I'm running a 2313 at 700'.

16 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

2. What prop do you have

1. It has the L96 410HP
2. Tried reading the numbers last night but the prop nut is blocking it.  I'll try and get the nut off so I can get this.
3. Just below 800'

For the bow sac sitting on the seats, I'm guessing I'd just throw a pump over the side for those as there isn't a clean way to plumb them correct?

Edited by browneye253

This is what I was taught by my flight instructor when flying airplanes and I use it with my boat as well..

Not to hijack, but you're a pilot as well? Same boat, both pilots. Crazy. :salute:

1100 rear plug in play, 400s under coffin seat, 1100 triangle in front... For surfing I can fill them all up and achieve 13 mph top speed (depending on crew size I have to drop some weight out of rears) plus factory rear and center sub floor tanks....

So to further ask here, are you saying that 13mph is ALL it's worth in this configuration? Or that's all you ever go to? (just so I know what to expect when I finally get my boat) 

I didn't think you were bashing your boat...I see your concern. You may just need to check the prop. A more aggressive high altitude prop will probably help. Although you are not at a high altitude, that is what you might need with all the weight. I wonder if the ACME 2277 would fit your boat. 

16 minutes ago, Ryan1776 said:

Not to hijack, but you're a pilot as well? Same boat, both pilots. Crazy. :salute:

So to further ask here, are you saying that 13mph is ALL it's worth in this configuration? Or that's all you ever go to? (just so I know what to expect when I finally get my boat) 

LMAO... I am pushing close to 5000#s with the wedge down when surfing... I have tried to get it on plane.. but no go ;) ... < 150' ft with a 350 ... I believe the 2249 prop... (I bought this prop 3 times now... I should remember the number lol)...

For wakeboarding, I fill front bag to about 750#s and rear total to 1700#s with 700#s total under coffins and 500 in center... wedge down (I like a lippy wake so I run wedge up 2 clicks after I plane out)..

Add a bigger crew and I have to start dumping weight.

Private Pilot ;) 

32 minutes ago, browneye253 said:

1. It has the L96 410HP
2. Tried reading the numbers last night but the prop nut is blocking it.  I'll try and get the nut off so I can get this.
3. Just below 800'

For the bow sac sitting on the seats, I'm guessing I'd just throw a pump over the side for those as there isn't a clean way to plump them correct?

So... with that all said I could bet it is a prop issue (from factory these boats come with a general prop that is good for cruising and some weight... load these boats down and you need more torque.. think of changing your prop to the same as re-gearing your transmission.. more pitch = more torque, but will sacrifice top speed).

Give Nettles Prop (http://www.nettleprops.com/) in Austin a call. Tell them what boat, engine, altitude, and what you are going to specifically use the boat for (or how much weight you want to push) and they can provide which props they would recommend for your application.

23 hours ago, kerpluxal said:

So... with that all said I could bet it is a prop issue (from factory these boats come with a general prop that is good for cruising and some weight... load these boats down and you need more torque.. think of changing your prop to the same as re-gearing your transmission.. more pitch = more torque, but will sacrifice top speed).

Give Nettles Prop (http://www.nettleprops.com/) in Austin a call. Tell them what boat, engine, altitude, and what you are going to specifically use the boat for (or how much weight you want to push) and they can provide which props they would recommend for your application.

Thanks for the recommendation on the prop shop.  I was able to get the specs of the current prop.

1235 14.5 x 14.25VL 1 1/8"

Also discovered it's missing the cotter pin on the prop shaft and the prop nut is broken and barely holding in the nylon lock piece.  So I'll be picking up a new one.

1 hour ago, browneye253 said:

Thanks for the recommendation on the prop shop.  I was able to get the specs of the current prop.

1235 14.5 x 14.25VL 1 1/8"

Also discovered it's missing the cotter pin on the prop shaft and the prop nut is broken and barely holding in the nylon lock piece.  So I'll be picking up a new one.

1235 is a pretty aggressive prop already, I was running that one on my 23 lsv before I switched to the 2249 which is a 15" prop.

Could you provide more details on your factory ballast system and what you have added to it.

1 hour ago, kerpluxal said:

1235 is a pretty aggressive prop already, I was running that one on my 23 lsv before I switched to the 2249 which is a 15" prop.

Could you provide more details on your factory ballast system and what you have added to it.

When you say it's aggressive is that referring to top end or more low end?  

I was actually going to dig around to find out more about the factory ballast today to try and figure out how much each of those tanks holds.  It has the bow, center and two subfloor rear tanks.  The dealer added two 700 lb bags in each locker.

46 minutes ago, browneye253 said:

When you say it's aggressive is that referring to top end or more low end?  

I was actually going to dig around to find out more about the factory ballast today to try and figure out how much each of those tanks holds.  It has the bow, center and two subfloor rear tanks.  The dealer added two 700 lb bags in each locker.

More low end... 

If I am not mistaken for factory ballast:

Bow = 350

Center = 500

Rear tanks = 250 each

How many people were in your boat when you ballasted it out and where were they sitting?

32 minutes ago, kerpluxal said:

More low end... 

If I am not mistaken for factory ballast:

Bow = 350

Center = 500

Rear tanks = 250 each

How many people were in your boat when you ballasted it out and where were they sitting?

The boat didn't have much loaded on it as far as gear goes and it was just my wife, two tiny humans (4yo & 15mo) and myself.  Wife was sitting in the rear facing observer seat.  

I switched from a 1235 to a 2313.  Top end didn't change (39.6 mph) but the low end grunt was significantly improved and I can surf heavy at a comfortable 2800-3100 rpm.  1235 was nearing the end of it's rage back in 2012 when someone discovered we can put 15" props on these boats.  

As @Ndawg12said, the 1235 is played out, old news.  15" is where it is at.  247 is a big boat; you need to prop accordingly.  You have the base motor; more prop will be needed.  Additional bow weight will help quite a bit too; the more the bow rises the less effective the prop is at pushing the boat due to the prop angle.

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions.

I think my plan will be to pick up a bow sac like the Sumo 675 and then give Nettle Props a call listing out all of the boat specs to see what prop they'd recommend purchasing.  Hoping to get out on the water without the kiddos for a few hours this weekend so I can play around with the current setup to get a better feeling of adjusting the ballast. 

• 3 weeks later...

You might have already solved this problem but I have a 12 247. I run 750s in the back and a 750 in the walkway with a acme 2312, with 6-8 people in the boat I’ve never really had a problem planing out with that set up.  Only draw back is my top speed is 36mph in my opinion wakeboats aren’t  supposed to go fast, the goal is to get as much weight as you can to 20-25 mph and have fun with it. 

On 5/7/2018 at 2:02 PM, browneye253 said:

Second question is how the heck do you monitor your fuel level while playing with the ballast.  My gauge was all over the place as I moved water around.  Do I just check before filling and then guess or can I trust the gauge?

Take a look at a project I collaborated on regarding fuel level and fuel flow here:

https://www.wakegarage.com/projects-archive/miscellaneous-projects/accurate-fuel-flow-gauge-r110

This should work with any 2009 or newer boat.