Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ways to Prevent Fishermen From Damaging Boat?

Anyone ever rigged up something to prevent fisherman from bouncing lures off of your dock?  In the past month, they've put a gouge in my swim platform, torn my boat cover, and punctured my water hose.  I'm considering putting out a rope to tangle lures or something more passive-aggressive like cheap inflatable floating toys.  Has anyone else ever had this problem?  Any solutions?

What about approaching them and telling them what they’re doing? They probably don’t know they’re doing damage or maybe they do, I don’t know.. 

is this a marina or your private dock? If it’s a marina I would go speak with management.

Gotta love all the spring fishermen on LOTO.  

I have something that might work for you, we use it to keep the sun off of our boats to help with fading not to keep fishermen from flipping into the stalls. We have one of these mesh tarps draped from the roof to the water.  It's fastened near the roof and then I have a bungee cord at the bottom on each side to secure it.  It's easy to disconnect the bungees and move it out of the way and then put back into place when the boat is there.  Since it's mesh most of the air passes thru and doesn't blow like a normal tarp.  Also blocks 60-70% of the suns rays. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/8-ft-x-10-ft-mesh-all-purposeweather-resistant-tarp-60577.html

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Cole2001 said:

What about approaching them and telling them what they’re doing? They probably don’t know they’re doing damage or maybe they do, I don’t know.. 

is this a marina or your private dock? If it’s a marina I would go speak with management.

It's a private dock, and the lake attracts lots of fishermen from out of town.  I think some of the damage was done during a tournament.  Something like a sign will just invite vandalism, and I don't want to create a hazard that detracts from my own enjoyment of the lake.  Something subtle would be best if anyone has ideas.  Surely I'm not the only one with this problem.

I had that problem.  I actually have had guys bounce them onto my dock while I am sitting there, and not even an apology.  Seen lures hanging and lines cut from my canopy.  They used to love fishing around my water trampoline, and of course would snag it.  I've had them drop a cast 5' in front of my dog, who would of course leap after it while they reel in like a frantic idiot.  My wife would get really mad about it, and sometimes say something nasty, and I'd tell her to stop inviting the same guys to throw crap into the boat into the middle of the night.  I chocked it up as just part of being successful enough to live on the lake.

We were just at the LOTO this past weekend cruising around (from our Axis) looking at houses and one of the guys with us fishes a lot of tourney's down there.  We saw one dock that had a a chain across slip with a sign stating "no fishing around dock".  He said those are the docks they hit first.  I would be pissed as well if my kids walked down to dock only to get a hook in the foot.

We have tournament fishermen in our little inlet where our dock is.  Literally will squeak between the bank and our dock to access the small pond behind our dock thats just big enough to turn around in while we are hanging out and paddleboarding, ect.  They all have jerseys and sponsors too.  Granted some sponsors are things like “emma genes douche powder” and “freddies fast lures”.  But hey ritin on my shrt make me look impotent don it?  

Were on one of the largest freshwater lakes in the eastern US and i think they just do it because they want to remind us they can.  Ive never seen anyone catch a fish near our dock.  There just making sure we dont think were better than them with our nice dock and all of our teeth.  I dont leave my boat in the water or at the dock when im not there.  These spitefull rednecks would sink it for sure.  

Another one of my favorites is they fish the channels of creeks going into and out of bays that aren't 30 feet wide and get pissed because I stay between the markers when going out.  Let me tell you a ballasted out wakesetter will make them get out of the channel after they experience it the first time.

I get that they are competing for points and trying to win money, but geez.  Ive been fortunate to have a sucessful business and make a good living, but none of it came about by being an in-considerate a** to other people.  I wouldnt have any of what I have today if i acted like that.  

• Like 2
1 hour ago, windy1 said:

OMG, just break out the surf board and go hang out near their dock

Some how I feel like that will make them want to come back... maybe try surfing up and down by your own dock and they’ll stay away.

Or if the tournaments have sponsors approach them in the same manor. 

Money talks and the last thing they want is a legal / social media headache. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, lotta hate for fishermen here.  OP came here looking for solutions to prevent lures hitting his boat and cover.  I'm not sure what lake he is on and by his screen name I assumed Lake of the Ozarks but he very well might not be.  On LOTO and Table Rock and many of the other lakes across the US they have huge tournaments every weekend and you are not going to be able to go to the sponsors and threaten them.   Going to the fisherman's personal dock probably wont work either since most of them travel for these tournaments.  On Table Rock a couple of weekends ago we had 3 tournaments on a Saturday that totaled well over 700 boats.  

I grew up fishing (only for fun no tournaments) every weekend on the lake with my dad before we got older and into water sports.  Casting into and around docks and any other type of structure is where the fish typically relate too.  Never tried to hit boats or docks but sometimes an errant cast or flip happens.  Sometimes ya get tangled up on a dock and fishing with wind always adds another interesting element, sometimes you loose lures.  Nothing better than coming down to your own dock to find a new lure that someone lost.  Doesn't happen all of the time, always fun to find new lake treasure. 

Anyway, @OliverKlozoff here are the sun screens that I use to keep the sun off the back of my boat and probably will help keep the unwanted lures from landing on your boat and cover. 

IMG_5860.JPG

IMG_5861.JPG

IMG_5862.JPG

Try hanging a chicken wire curtain around the lake end of your boat dock, then place old bed mattress box springs on the bottom behind your boat. Ie, you will have a nice treasure chest supply of shiny new lures to fish with and po the offenders at the same time!