Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Chevy Tahoe - Tow Hitch

MattyICE15

Time for you guys to help me spend my money...:thumbup:

Picking up our 2000 VLX out of storage this upcoming weekend. Will be pulling with our new to us 16 Tahoe LTZ. What hitch is best for our setup?  Our rims are 22' if it matters for the drop...

Amazon is easiest but I can do local pickup of course...

You'll likely need a 6" or 8" drop.  I use a 6" on my stock 2015 Yukon XL Denali and the trailer sits close to level but slightly higher in the front than it does when using a 2" drop on my Tundra.  The receivers on these newer full-size GM SUVs are really high.

17 hours ago, AzAxisA22 said:

You'll likely need a 6" or 8" drop.  I use a 6" on my stock 2015 Yukon XL Denali and the trailer sits close to level but slightly higher in the front than it does when using a 2" drop on my Tundra.  The receivers on these newer full-size GM SUVs are really high.

2015 was the first year of the new body style so we'd be in the same ballpark. Would you say that the 2 inch difference between 6 to 8 is enough/too much to make the tongue of your setup be level?

Advice on class of hitch to buy?

4 hours ago, MattyICE15 said:

2015 was the first year of the new body style so we'd be in the same ballpark. Would you say that the 2 inch difference between 6 to 8 is enough/too much to make the tongue of your setup be level?

Advice on class of hitch to buy?

I don't get any sway with the 6" drop so I haven't tried an 8".  I think either would work just fine.  I figure less tongue weight is better so long as it feels solid and does not sway. 

These are what I picked up - 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPI62W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001P29TX6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

FYI, on my 2015, the cover for where you plug in the trailer lights folds up and can barely make it past 90* making it a pain in the butt to get the trailer lights unhooked because of how the plug latches in place.  I'm going to take a dremel tool and grind down the latching nub on the cover a little bit to gain some clearance and make it easier to unplug.   

Edited by AzAxisA22