Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop talk.

onewake09

I have a 17’ a20. Boat came with a 2277 prop(15x15.75). It struggled getting up to speed with a fully weighted boat for surfing. Now granted, I probably had too much weight anyway. I got a good deal on a 2419(15x12). Ive had it out a few times now with the new prop. I lost quite a bit of top end. At surf speed of 10.8 im turning 3500 rpms with full stock ballast, bow pnp full, and rear pnp about 50% full. Wedge was down as well. Does that seem good? At wakeboard speed(19mph, im still learning) basically no ballast im turning 3400 rpms. Im thinking this prop doesnt have enough pitch. What are your thoughts? 

Sounds pretty decent to me, I run 3400rpm fully weighted surfing @ 11mph but still get 40mph at top end with no ballast. I run a 1847 or 1433, both are 14x14.25. Different boat of course.

From what I have heard, you dont want to be over 3900rpm surfing (over 4k extended periods)....or below 3000 or so as you can "lug" the engine. A lot of it has to do where the engine makes it torque. Sounds to me like you are pretty much in the sweet spot tho you could probably change the pitch a little to reduce rpm. You should gain a little top end and lose a little lower end, but sounds like you can lose a little at bottom and be ok. I would call ACME and ask for recommendations, sure they have dealt with that prop many times on the Malibu