Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

v-Drive leak....help!

Noticed pinkish oil under my trans/v-drive as I was going thru the boat getting it ready for this year....oh sh*t!  It is a 2013 VLX with a ZF Hurth transmission & only 250 hours on it.  The transmission oil level was good, but when I checked the v-drive, it was low.  Cleaned everything up & laid some shop towels down to try to locate the exact location of the leak.  Has anybody ran into this problem before?  Anything I can check on or do before taking it 150 miles to the dealer?  Hope it isn't nothing major!

Probably needs a new seal on the output shaft.  I had this issue at 1150 hours.  Replaced the entire transmission as the shop wanted 1500 to change the seal and 3500 for whole new transmission.  With the hours, I thought it best to swap out transmission.  I have the old transmission and will put a new seal in it so when it happens again, it’s a fairly quick swap out.  

Edited by BlackBluMalibu

It's confusing & frustrating.  When I put the boat up over the winter, there was no leaks.  If it is the seal on the output shaft....would there be a reason or other problem on why it would need replaced already with only 250 hours on the boat?

Edited by 7lazy77
formulaben

How cold did it get in winter layup?  I had a leak in mine and swapped fluid and ran it and the leak disappeared.  It did it again over the following winter so my theory is the seal gets cold and shrinks just enough to let it seep a bit.  Oil is cheap, if it is a slow leak (you didn't say how low it got) I'd add fluid and let it run for a while, keeping a close eye on it before you spend big bucks on a new v-drive.

Some vdrives the full mark on  is inbetween the lines on the dipstick.  Also boat trailer might not be level.  Where’s was level on dipstick before winter?   Is it Still leaking on those clean rags?  I had a breather vent on my transmission burp once and I was convinced I was screwed from finding fluid in bilge but was fine.  If it’s not leaking now, I’d top off and  keep a close eye and hope it was unnoticed spill from earlier?  But get on it now so u don’t deal with down time come summer!  Good luck, hope it’s a fluke!

Well....didn't take long to find the source of the leak.  Trying to post a picture, but I can't get it loaded from photobucket?  It appears to be dripping down from the split sleeve on the shaft & it seems to be a pretty good leak, since I put shop towels down & 4 hours later there is a pool of oil about the size of a silver dollar.  Boat was housed in my barn this winter.  It didn't get any colder than it did last winter & I didn't have any problems.  Sure wish I could get pic posted & give you a better idea of where it is coming from.  Assuming it is a seal in the split sleeve....how big of a repair is this & what would something like this cost?

Edited by 7lazy77
  • 3 weeks later...

Took boat to dealer & with a quick look, they diagnosed it as a leak in the prop shaft output on the bottom of the v-drive.  They couldn't explain what caused it to go out so quick, but mentioned that it could be a bent prop shaft....even though I have never hit anything & have no unusual vibration.  They are set to begin working on it & told me that since I am getting it pulled & taken apart, that I I might as well replace the few other seals before putting it back together....so I am waiting to hear what the total damage will be. 

Dealer says that my choices are either having the v-drive "rebuilt" since all seals were broke getting it removed ($1700) or getting a brand new "bundled" v-drive & transmission for $2500 since they are already in there.  Unbelievable that one bad seal is going to end up costing me a minimum of $1700 to repair!  Anybody out there need a low 300 hour transmission?

Edited by 7lazy77

Since it is the seal on the prop shaft ouput on the bottom of the v-drive, I was told that they have to crack several seals just to get to problem seal.  And that putting it back together requires a "special" machine (which they don't have) to press the new seals back in.  It has to be sent away for that service.  I am illiterate when it comes to mechanics, so I couldn't tell you if this is correct or not?  I was also told that they can't just get a new v-drive & that they only come "bundled" with a new transmission....which seems a little weird.  So if this is correct.....what if somebody has a bad transmission....do they have to purchase a new v-drive in the "bundle"?  I also can't believe with all the v-drives out there now that the dealership doesn't have this "special" machine to do this.  Not cussing the dealership at all & they have been very helpful, but I just have a hard time understanding the whole situation & why it has to be soooo complicated to repair a seal that will ultimately cost me a minimum of $1700.  

Edited by 7lazy77
  • 7 months later...

I seem to have the exact same problem.  No leaks for 3 years and after I stored the boat this winter, the front reservoir is low on transmission oil.  Stored in garage. 

7lazy77 - where did you take your boat.  Our boat is in Wyoming as well.

• 6 months later...

Same issue here. Wondering if there is any update from you guys. Ive got everything opened up and removed, no sign of the exact leak location other that the coupler bolts were loose.

Thanks