Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Dummy needs help

MarkJames

I winterized my boat myself for the first time a couple of years back.  I usually take it in but ran late and had to leave the country for an extended period.  I followed a mix of instructions and hopefully all went well.

Last season I was away from home the whole time so the boat sat unused.  I'm just getting it ready for this season and was just down reconnecting everything that I disconnected to drain it.

I have two parts left over and I don't know where they go.  Can anyone identify these and help me out?

https://imgur.com/a/5pLx9yK

Thanks!

Edited by MarkJames
typo

Looks to me like the plugs that go in the heat exchanger....the piece sticking out of it is your zinc anode. My boat has one on the fresh water side and then one for the closed cooling. My guess is that you have 2 and no closed cooling. This is my guess anyway without know exactly what boat/engine you have

What is the year and model of the boat as well as engine might help people be able to confirm exactly what we are looking at. First guess would be those bolts might be for the exhaust manifolds.

Sitting that long, its likely your impeller took a "set" and may have dry rotted. I would not start boat till you check it out. I would also be sure to change fuel filters, maybe even drain gas and put fresh fuel in....along with of course changing all your fluids

ahopkins22LSV
27 minutes ago, Infinitysurf said:

Looks to me like the plugs that go in the heat exchanger....the piece sticking out of it is your zinc anode. My boat has one on the fresh water side and then one for the closed cooling. My guess is that you have 2 and no closed cooling. This is my guess anyway without know exactly what boat/engine you have

Agreed. Or exhaust manifold plugs?

Ok - I took my son down with me and neither of us could find where these went.

The boat is a 2010 VLX with a 5.7V8.   I know next to nothing about engines and even less still about marine engines so I don't even know where to look to find the heat exchanger.  

Any pointers about where to look next will be met with much gratitude.

mark

Edited by MarkJames

I think those are from the front of the transmission. They are the drain plugs on the heat exchanger - not easy to spot just by looking, but they are there. On my VTX they are at the bottom/front of the transmission very close to the fuel tank. 

Edited by sounddude03
16 minutes ago, sounddude03 said:

I think those are from the front of the transmission. They are the drain plugs on the heat exchanger - not easy to spot just by looking, but they are there. On my VTX they are at the bottom/front of the transmission very close to the fuel tank. 

Thanks - I'll look again - I don't know what the heat exchanger looks like.  Google has not been my friend on this quest.

Look at page 26 in this manual - it will give you an idea of where they are. http://www.themalibucrew.com/_files/engines/marinepower_2014_ls3.pdf

The link is for Marine power, not Indmar, but overall same concept. It’s the lower unit of the v-drive and let’s you drain the water that cools the unit. 

If you still can’t find the spot, you could always hook up a fake a lake and fire her up, then see where water leaks from ;-)

Thanks.

1 hour ago, sounddude03 said:

Look at page 26 in this manual - it will give you an idea of where they are. http://www.themalibucrew.com/_files/engines/marinepower_2014_ls3.pdf

The link is for Marine power, not Indmar, but overall same concept. It’s the lower unit of the v-drive and let’s you drain the water that cools the unit. 

If you still can’t find the spot, you could always hook up a fake a lake and fire her up, then see where water leaks from ;-)

That was exactly what I needed.  Thanks!

Thanks all for the help.  And thank you, InfinitySurf - I will replace the impeller before putting it in the water.

Cheers!

mark

Nice! Page 32 of that same manual shows the impeller assembly (again, they are all similar)...pretty easy to replace DIY. The impeller is what moves the water thru your system and cools it, so it not working right will cause overheating which can cause all kinds of issues. Glad you figured it out!