Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 17 A20 maiden voyage, on water impressions

KPG1

20180505_101725.jpg20180505_095255.jpg20180505_093731.jpg20180505_092858.jpg20180505_093540.jpg20180505_101615.jpgWell, after staring at my A20 in the garage for several weeks it was time to hit the water. This is my first inboard, coming out of a 2014 Yamaha 212x recently... 

Engine... great sound, not overpowering not too quiet. A welcome upgrade of a pair of screaming 7500rpm hairdryers. Very responsive, maybe too much. Any way to increase friction on throttle handle? From initial use seemed to use a fair amount of fuel. Saw plus 40mph so as a slalom guy im happy.

Boat.. wow, no left turn in reverse, wonderful,lol. Fit and finish good, one small rattle under dash which I will track down and solve. Responsive in forward, reverse is going to be a learning curve. And I thought it couldn't get worse than jet boats.. tower with quick release rocks, SP2 is more than enough for my needs, plenty of storage even with bow occupied with PnP bags.

Wave... I know just enough about surfing to be dangerous but my son is good friends with a sponsored rider from Tommys so he came along. Pressed all 4 ballast switches and fronts were venting in 2 min, rears in about 5 min. Very impressed with speed of fill. All hard and soft ballast full..  wave with no wedge, 2 people in boat was awesome.. wave with wedge was less than awesome. Very tall and had length, Nick was doing some amazing tricks and thought the wave for a 20ft boat so far... pics coming

Edited by KPG1

Suggestion for docking since you are not used to reverse on inboard...boat will "pull" to drivers side in reverse (due to prop spin and cause in reverse there is no water washing over the rudder to steer). So if you dock on drivers side, approach the dock at slight angle (bow angled in), then as you are coming in (slowly, by clicking throttle in/out of gear as you approach), put boat in reverse once you are ready to dock and couple feet away and it will pull the back end in, which brings the boat up to dock evenly. Make sense? Depending on how much angle you have, you can either just click into gear in reverse to slow down boat and suck in the back end, or give it power to suck it the rear faster/harder. Work like a charm and once you are used to how it drives, you can manuever these boats better than an I/O.

Raimie, it's a private lake in South Lyon called Hidden Lake. It's a reclaimed sand quarry redeveloped in to a sub division... 

• Like 3