Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gut check from the acr gurus

JeffK

Good morning and happy Sunday!  I hope everyone is having a great weekend!   I was wondering if somebody would be willing to take a look at this diagram I drew and just give me a thumbs up or thumbs down.  I haven’t seen one that included an onboard charger and when I plugged it in the ACR shows bridged. I assume this is OK, but would love a gut check.  And I do have one additional theoretical question. Should I keep the helm and stereo on one side of the switch or should I have the helm and starter/alternator lead on one side of the switch?  I feel like I need power to the dash in order to get the starting battery to start, but I’ve seen diagrams where they separate the helm from the crank lead. In any case, here is the diagram and thanks in advance   

C28062DF-FB44-4445-86FA-580C4DF562DF.jpeg

move the leads from the acr up to the top positions on the switch.  Otherwise when you plug in the charger the ACR will combine even if you have the switch turned to off.  That in turn creates a single battery bank from your two batteries.

Thats well and good but my 2018 23 lsv only has 3 terminals on the perko switch.  (2 batteries but 1 output)  aparrently this is what battery option 2 gets you nowdays.

My workaround was installing a toggle next to the perko.  When turned on it connects the ground on the acr to ground and activates it.  When off the acr is ungrounded and will not function.  This is the ground terminal on the bottom of the acr.  

I just flip the toggle on when i unplug the charger and off when I plug it in.  

I had to dig deep but found a reference on blue sea website that recomended this meathod and it works well.

14 minutes ago, Jmann said:

Thats well and good but my 2018 23 lsv only has 3 terminals on the perko switch.  (2 batteries but 1 output)  aparrently this is what battery option 2 gets you nowdays.

My workaround was installing a toggle next to the perko.  When turned on it connects the ground on the acr to ground and activates it.  When off the acr is ungrounded and will not function.  This is the ground terminal on the bottom of the acr.  

I just flip the toggle on when i unplug the charger and off when I plug it in.  

I had to dig deep but found a reference on blue sea website that recomended this meathod and it works well.

different system than the OP.  If you must add an ACR but keep the 1.2.ALL.off battery switch that came with the boat, rather than a toggle (which is definitely subject to human error), the better play is to put that ACR ground wire on a relay that's normally open and closes with positive signal from the ignition.  IMHO, YMMV, etc.

I get that its different.  I'm not sure when malibu switched from the 4 lug switch to the 3lug with battery option 2, or if they ever used the 4 lug from the factory.  When I tore into mine to do the install I was suprised the switch only had 3 terminals.

Mabye everyone else is just adding a 4 lug switch when they do the install but I never saw mention of it in all the acr threads i searched through on the site when I was researching how to do it.

i thought about doing a relay but if I cant remember to flip the switch thats next to the battery switch when I turn it on, then I have bigger problems to worry about.  I was also concerned the relay might stop closing and I wouldnt ever notice until my second battery didnt work when I needed it.  

Sorry for the derail.