Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Service for my new to me 06 Malibu 247 8.1 questions

Brannon132

Hey guys,

At the end of summer last year I purchased a '06 247 with 220 hrs on an 8.1. Had a few great days with the boat after I replaced the fuel pump.

So now that its spring I want to do a full service and change oil and grease points anything that needs to be greased along with any cables or anything that need to be checked. That way I know when everything was done last. I tried to search for a list of everything but I couldn't find one. If someone could direct me to a thread or post a list that would be awesome. Also do they have a service repair manual for these? or schematics for all the grease zerts etc.

I've spent countless hours on this site and it helped me get the right boat! 

Thanks a bunch!!!!

Brannon

Oil, trans & v-drive fluid, impeller, riser gaskets, check belt, if it's on an extreme trailer check the oil hubs for leaks and oil level .

I agree with the above. Absolutely do the riser gaskets. (I go every other year, along with globe impeller). Clean the air filter. I'd also drop the rudder out of it, clean out old grease and start with fresh. Check the rudder for play before you start, cause that will be the best time to replace if you need to. I ended up replacing my rudder box,  (along with all the entire steering system.)

formulaben
4 hours ago, TimbrSS said:

I agree with the above. Absolutely do the riser gaskets. (I go every other year, along with globe impeller). Clean the air filter. I'd also drop the rudder out of it, clean out old grease and start with fresh. Check the rudder for play before you start, cause that will be the best time to replace if you need to. I ended up replacing my rudder box,  (along with all the entire steering system.)

Why is this?  I've not heard of this with the 5.7 engines...is it a big block only deal?

2 hours ago, formulaben said:

Why is this?  I've not heard of this with the 5.7 engines...is it a big block only deal?

Indmar Products

5400 Old Millington Road

Millington, TN 38053

Phone 901-353-9930

Fax 901-358-4292

SERVICE ADVISORY

Date: April 15, 2010

Advisory SV2010-1

Subject: 8.1L Aluminum Manifolds and Risers

We have had reports of water/coolant leaks between the risers and exhaust manifolds in the two

piece aluminum riser/manifold assemblies used with the 8.1L engines. Effective immediately, in

addition to the gasket, Indmar will be sealing those manifold/riser joints with Permatex Form-AGasket

#1 Sealant.

We recommend for units in the field that these gaskets be replaced and sealed on an annual

basis. If there are any signs of external or internal water leakage at the manifold/riser joint the

gaskets must be replaced and Permatex Form-A Gasket #1 sealant applied. Use the procedure

as follows:

Remove the exhaust riser from the manifold and clean any gasket material from the

sealing surfaces.

Use a straight edge to determine if the sealing surfaces of the manifold and riser are flat.

If the surfaces are not flat, remove the manifold from the engine. Place a piece of

abrasive paper on a flat surface and work the manifold and riser sealing surfaces back

and forth over the abrasive paper till the surfaces are flat.

Clean any abrasive residue from the manifold and exhaust riser. Clean any sealant from

the exhaust ports on the manifold and from the cylinder head. Apply a new bead of

silicone sealant around the exhaust ports on the cylinder head. Install the exhaust

manifold on the engine. Torque the screws starting in the center and alternately working

to the ends. Tighten to 19 lb ft (26 Nm) on the first pass then to 26 lb ft (35 Nm) on the

second pass.

Apply a thin film of Permatex Form-A-Gasket #1 Sealant to both sides of a new S531017

riser gasket and allow to air dry until the sealant becomes tacky. Note: If the engine is a

jet or has a full closed cooling system, apply the sealant to two S531047 riser block off

gaskets.

Place the sealed riser gasket on the exhaust manifold. Place the riser on the manifold

and install the riser hold down screws. Tighten in a diagonal pattern to 26 lb ft (35 Nm) on

the first pass. Tighten to 35 lb ft (47 Nm) on the second pass. Note: If the engine has a

full closed cooling system, install a gasket, the block off plate and another gasket before

installing the riser.

Repeat procedure for other side.

Connect and tighten the hoses to the exhaust manifolds and risers. Apply cooling water

to the engine, start it and let the engine come up to temperature. Check for leaks. Repair

as necessary. Turn off the engine and let it cool down. Re-torque the risers to 35 lb ft (47

Nm).