Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What fluid is best for vdrive and trans?

Last couple year I believe I put in ATF in the trans and rotella in the v drive I believe.... my boat guy just told me to put ATF in both? What is best? Seems that its a far stretch to use motor oil vs ATF...

What is the capacity for each?

FYI I have the Walter

formulaben

Depends if you have the SkiVee or not.  SkiVee uses ATF for both as it is a combined unit...others use ATF in the trans and 30wt oil in the v-drive.

Edited by formulaben

Not sure how to tell if I have the skivee... never heard of it - I do know it says walter and that I have used the 30wt in the past...

formulaben

So yeah, you've got the Walter so 30 wt oil in the v-drive and ATF in the trans.

FWIW I use Dexron VI since it is backwards compatible with Dexron III and Amsoil marine gear lube (AGMQT-EA) since it is fully synthetic and is specifically made for the marine environment; it "resists foam and retains extreme-pressure qualities even when subjected to 10% water contamination."  For only $3-4 more than basic 30wt oil, it's a small price to pay to keep your v-drive healthy given the price of the unit.

Edited by formulaben

I tried sucking the oil from the Vdrive and no luck... boat was cold though. Do I need it to be warmed up and just do it on the water for the vdrive and trans?