Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer paint

Marksa1458

My trailer is developing some rust spots and I would like to paint the trouble areas  

Here is one of the worst spots:

Trailer

Any recommendations on the best paint to use? My plan is to grind the areas back to metal and brush the paint on  as I don’t want to spray with the boat on the trailer. Thx

Edited by Marksa1458

My trailer was actually made by a company out of New York called Performance trailer. There is very little on their website.  

10 hours ago, Marksa1458 said:

My plan is to grind the areas back to metal and brush the paint on  as I don’t want to spray with the boat on the trailer. Thx

Painting with a brush is a good plan, it won't be perfect, but it will be 10X better than it is now.

I'm doing something similar. My plan is to first put a layer of POR-15 on the bare metal (to encapsulate any rust), then use Interlux Brightside over that. If you use a method called "Roll and Tip" to apply the Brightside, it will lay down super flat.

Edited by boardjnky4

how Is the Por 15 to work with? I have used the interlux products and the roll and tip method with some very good results. Looks like glass. 

POR15 for sure over the rust.  It is very easy to work with, just make sure you only pour out what you need and re-seal the can quickly, so that you don't waste any.  Use foam brushes and it goes on like powder coat almost.