Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1995 Magnum skier carb replacement

Footnfan

Hello everyone, long time lurker here, but I am a real bind. I have owned my 1995 response for 21 or so years, it is a beauty!

Several years ago my wife started a 2-3 year battle with cancer, stage 3 Colon. The boat sat idle, with very little use. She beats cancer, we get the carb rebuilt to lack of use, then hurricane Irma looms, so we batten down the old girl with 3 covers and tarps.

So, she survives w/o a scratch, we go to use the boat, and the carb is a mess again. I am told by several sources, rebuild kits are no longer available, which is OK with me, I would prefer to replace the carb.

My mechanic tells me it is a Weber stamped, Rochester product, quadrajet. I am also told, they are no longer available. 

Has anyone determined with aftermarket Holley (marine) or other well made carb can replace the quadrajet? I would guess it is  a 650 cfm?

Anyway, thank you  very much in advance. I am still trying to find rebuild kits, but I am running out of places to call.

Dan in Naples.

aQXJROHm.jpg

• Like 2

Mercruiser or Indmar?

That's crazy. There's got to be a rebuild kit available. Are you positive the carb is the problem? I assume it still runs, but not very good? What's the carb part # according to Mercruiser/Indmar? We can help find the rebuild kit. I owned my 1990 til last year. Only had to rebuild the quadrajet once in 28 years.

First, congrats on the remission! 

I would call Summit Racing in Mogadore Ohio.  They can x-ref just about anything.  My parents had an old OMC that had issues with the Holley and we would grab rebuilds and full swaps from them. 

@Footnfan:  If what I expect and you have a Merc, it is a Weber 750 cfm carb, which is same as Carter AFB / Edelbrock 1410 with different calibration parts.  I don't think it is a quadrajet but it could be depending on what Marinizer, as I noted Merc used the Weber in that era for the 'Tournament Ski' engine.  Try Michigan Motorz for rebuild parts and actually the other brand kits should have most of the parts needed within.  Personally, I like the Weber calibration (3 stage needles v. 2 stage as one example) and properly tuned they work very well.

it would defiantly be a 600 cfm carb. 750 is way to much for that SBC. Call up Edelbrock and talk to the guys in the tech dept.  They will give you the info and part numbers to order from Summit Racing. I believe it is a 1409 carb but they will confirm. I did a complete swap from TB Injection to carb last year. They were very helpful and gave all the necessary info I needed. 

4 hours ago, JasonK said:

Mercruiser or Indmar?

That's crazy. There's got to be a rebuild kit available. Are you positive the carb is the problem? I assume it still runs, but not very good? What's the carb part # according to Mercruiser/Indmar? We can help find the rebuild kit. I owned my 1990 til last year. Only had to rebuild the quadrajet once in 28 years.

Mercruiser magnum skier. Thank you

2 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

I bought a rebuilt carb from these guys back in 2013.  Unbolt the old one, bolt on the new one (already ran & tuned for my application), and send them your old one in their box. 

http://flyingfishcarburetors.com/

Thanks very  much. I called, they had one in stock and it will be in my hands tomorrow. Boom.

They had me confirm my carb number, and it was easy as can be.

Yes, I have a carb issue. I think I have had been running ethanol gas, so I will now switch to 100% non ethanol. The carb degrades, if I let the gas sit, and  I did. 

Thank you everyone, I am EXTREMELY grateful.

Dan in Naples

Thanks everyone. Flyfishing carbs is all world quality. Called them, they got one ready to go, and got it the next day. BTW, the carb is a thing of beauty. Just a jewel like rebuild.

Installed it yesterday, nice drive way throttle response, but on the water today, the boat ran no better than with the old carb. Lost of surging, will not take WOT. 

I know I had some old gas in the boat, but nit much. Last week I added 10 gallons of fresh non ethanol. Came home, pumped it all out, added a new dist cap and rotor. I have a new set of plugs and wires, so I guess I'll add them and then put fresh gas in. Really frustrating, and especially so because this boat has been a gem for 23 years, never a miss or cough. 

I have been spoiled.  Oh, what should I gap the spark plugs at? Thanks Malibu crew. I welcome your suggestions.

Dan in Naples

@Footnfan:  Another item to check particularly if your fill cap is sealed is your anti siphon valve on top of the tank in the vent line.  Given you are in a salty area corrosion may have caused it to stick.

No idea if this is part of your issue...but I had bought a carbed boat that had sat 3yrs and carb was gunked. Once I did the re-build, replaced the parts you reference like cap, rotor, plugs, wires, fuel lines all replaced (cause they also ran ethenol and it was deteriorating the lines from the inside....so that is something you should look into), new fuel filter installed and I also installed a fuel/water separator.....drained existing tank of all fuel and put fresh fuel in, etc....it ran good at idle but would sputter and hesitate on the lake when putting the throttle down and did not like WOT. Ended up being timing adjustment for me. Boat only had about 150hrs when I bought it and only been used 3 yrs but then sat 3yrs and we never could figure out how the timing got messed up, but once that was adjusted it ran great for years till I sold it. So its an idea to look into anyway if replacing your fuel filter and lines does not clear it out, my guess is fuel related tho.

Oh yea...I did replace the anti-siphon valve on top of the fuel tank as it WAS sticking and also clean the pickup, screen, etc. Ethenol fuel is a b**ch

On 5/3/2018 at 11:27 AM, 96Response said:

it would defiantly be a 600 cfm carb. 750 is way to much for that SBC. Call up Edelbrock and talk to the guys in the tech dept.  They will give you the info and part numbers to order from Summit Racing. I believe it is a 1409 carb but they will confirm. I did a complete swap from TB Injection to carb last year. They were very helpful and gave all the necessary info I needed. 

The stock carb on my 95 Mag Skier was a 750 cfm.  Thinking it might run better with a more appropriately sized carb, I replaced it with the 600 cfm 1409.  Fiddled around with that one until I sold the boat.  Never got it to run better than it did with the original. 

I've got the 750 sitting in my basement if anyone wants it. 

Edited by powbmps
9 hours ago, powbmps said:

The stock carb on my 95 Mag Skier was a 750 cfm.  Thinking it might run better with a more appropriately sized carb, I replaced it with the 600 cfm 1409.  Fiddled around with that one until I sold the boat.  Never got it to run better than it did with the original. 

I've got the 750 sitting in my basement if anyone wants it. 

Electric choke or manifold?

The Weber / Carter AFB / Edelbrock carb series used has very small primaries compared to a Holley so it does have a pretty good flow rate at low engine speed when only the primaries are open.  As a reference, at 5000 rpm a 350 cubic inch engine will consume 600 cfm of air if the parts in the flow path allow it.  The transition when the secondaries open can be an issue for Perfect Pass if it coincides to the speed you are running, with 36 mph and a heavy skier or loaded boat being likely.  There are many opportunities to run WOT or close (barefooting with this combo is a good example) so you don't want to undercarb you boat for best performance. 

In the future you might try posting replacement engine parts, etc here:

Maintenance, Tech Info & Troubleshooting

People tend to jump in there on stuff like that.

23 hours ago, 23LSVOwner said:

In the future you might try posting replacement engine parts, etc here:

Maintenance, Tech Info & Troubleshooting

People tend to jump in there on stuff like that.

Thank you

• 9 months later...

Here to help.  i own a 1996 ski centurion.  I was  looking and found a carb kit at this site.  You will see many engine options. match yours as you will see a range of serial numbers once you enter that engine range which are  pdf files

mine is 0F874523 for example. Then match the engine and you will see your carb part# listed.  If no match go back and seek another

engine until there is an exact match with your carb part number....................  Here is the url:

www.marinepartsexpress.com

good luck