Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery reading 3.2 volts

Getting my lsv ready for the season today.   Oil change, impeller, trans fluid.  Turn my perko to 2 setting and ignition won't turn on, turn it to 1 and I get power and was able to start the Boat.  I also noticed on my pro mariner sport 12 charger is reading battery 1 has a problem.  Put a volt meter on it and sure enough it's reading 3.2 volts.

Looks like I lost a battery over winter hybernation.  First time after 10 years I have lost a battery.  I always thought charging over winter storage would avoid this from happening but I guess my theory did not prove true.   Must be dumb luck?  Anyone have any ideas why this would happen?

Fortunately I was just in warranty for a swap out.   Thank you Larson Marine for taking care of me!:thumbup:

20180502_160830.jpg

Edited by Fman

1st thing I would check, is the fuse for the #1 charge lead. Next, I think if you read deep into the charger owners manual, I think promariner suggests disconnecting the AC once a month or so, and resetting the charge process. Could have been just a bad battery and the charger timed out due to constant load. Could have been enough of a constant draw on the battery, that the charger timed out.  

@MLA was dead on...Upon further investigation and after installing new battery today it was obvious why the original was dead.  Whoever installed my pro mariner never installed the inline fuses in the battery 2 connections.  Battery 2 never received a charge all winter.  Partially my fault for not noticing the Red 1 light was triggered. 

Anyhoo if you do use a pro mariner observe for any warning lights on the panel.

1 hour ago, BSUBU_Kris said:

I have always just turned the battery switch off over the winter with no issues.  Usually Nov through March so not too long.

I have always been a fan of pro mariner chargers, I am not sure if battery 2 was just a bad battery and what would have happened if it had been receiving a charge all winter.  Battery 1 was on the pro mariner completely charged and no issues with it.  I have been told by a few people nothing good happens when batteries sit for 7-8 months in the cold weather.  I dunno the pro mariner might be overkill but I figure its cheap insurance.

10 hours ago, Fman said:

I have always been a fan of pro mariner chargers, I am not sure if battery 2 was just a bad battery and what would have happened if it had been receiving a charge all winter.  Battery 1 was on the pro mariner completely charged and no issues with it.  I have been told by a few people nothing good happens when batteries sit for 7-8 months in the cold weather.  I dunno the pro mariner might be overkill but I figure its cheap insurance.

I have the same charger.  My strategy has been to plug it in 2 or 3 times over the winter, for a few hours.  I don't like leaving plugged in 24/7.

2 hours ago, MadMan said:

I have the same charger.  My strategy has been to plug it in 2 or 3 times over the winter, for a few hours.  I don't like leaving plugged in 24/7.

Wondering what pro mariner recommends?  I have never really looked into it,  just keep it plugged in over the winter layup.  I thought the charger cycles on/off automatically and will only charge when a battery starts to drop in voltage but I could totally be wrong.