Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

agarabaghi

Hooked on Foil Boarding

UWSkier

Question for the wake foilers.  Do you need to make a giant wake to do this?  Is there and advantage to having a giant wake?

smileysteve
9 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Question for the wake foilers.  Do you need to make a giant wake to do this?  Is there and advantage to having a giant wake?

You don't need a giant wake; I ride (with a rope) behind a pontoon boat when the family wants to cruise.

An advantage to some wake is that you can pump the underwave. Behind the pontoon, even riding on the aerated exhaust stream can a fun challenge.

Eagleboy99
12 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Mt tax accountant just got one and asked me if I want to try it. I'm game - with safety equipment.  It looks like a blast!  Of course I think it is like tennis:  way more fun if you know what you are doing.  See https://www.tetongravity.com/video/surf/kai-lenny-brings-foil-board-to-wake-boat

UWSkier

Cool.  Maybe it'll become a surfing replacement and these giant wakes will start to go the way of the dodo.  :) 

Eagleboy99
2 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

these giant wakes will start to go the way of the dodo

One can only hope...  :)  I just discovered this:  https://www.realwatersports.com/products/foilmount-standard  So that old surfboard kicking around in the boathouse might get a second life! 

MFknK

I just pulled the trigger on a slingshot board. I really wanted to demo one, but nobody here seemed to have one to demo. I went with the Infinity 76cm wing. My hope is that this will allow the phat kids to ride as well as let me(the lightweight) learn to pump around some.

The videos posted of guys riding in channels and surfing the wind surge has me thinking that with the right setup, I may be able to pump from boat wake to boat wake...

I have not ridden one of the newer foil boards, but I did cut the seat off an air chair long ago to ride it stand up. Pretty excited to try this new board out.

Jhucke
On 5/6/2019 at 12:57 PM, SlingShot said:

Mission accomplished.  Ready for summer.  Now I just need to get the boat in the water.

IMG_0067.jpeg

IMG_0066.jpeg

IMG_0065.jpeg

Sorry guys, I know this is a really old thread, but slingshot, how did this board setup work out for you? I'm thinking about doing something like this, this winter.

4skinuts

Would it be possible to wakefoil behind a TXI without ballast?  What brand/size board and foil would be needed for a 200 lb person?

04 VLX WINDERMERE UK

You can foil behind anything, or even nothing!

this is a AK surf foil but with a Fanatic 2000 front wing 640 fuselage and a 625 rear wing !

will try to upload the video.

(that’s not me BTW it’s my daughter driving + boy freind and their freind foiling)

EE3D3AD3-4891-420D-95E2-2007B89D5014.png

04 VLX WINDERMERE UK
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 4skinuts said:

Would it be possible to wakefoil behind a TXI without ballast?  What brand/size board and foil would be needed for a 200 

video as promised 

Edited by 04 VLX WINDERMERE UK
Changed link for a video

04 VLX WINDERMERE UK
25 minutes ago, REHinH20 said:

That link is asking for permission to view it... just so you know you are about to get a load of requests.

Thanks, put it on YouTube now!

Jhucke
2 hours ago, 04 VLX WINDERMERE UK said:

video as promised 

This is awesome, thanks for posting. Even the ol '85 skier has a bigger wake than that. Still considering buying one of the cheaper options, or DIY. Can't justify a $1500 board for something I've never even seen in real life.. .

https://crazyfoil.com/track-system-boards-behind-boat/ or https://www.clearwaterfoils.com/

Anyone ever use either of these?

04 VLX WINDERMERE UK
15 hours ago, Jhucke said:

This is awesome, thanks for posting. Even the ol '85 skier has a bigger wake than that. Still considering buying one of the cheaper options, or DIY. Can't justify a $1500 board for something I've never even seen in real life.. .

https://crazyfoil.com/track-system-boards-behind-boat/ or https://www.clearwaterfoils.com/

Anyone ever use either of these?

Look up wakefoil surfer on Fb plus there are lots of kitesurf pages on Fb both have boards for sale and lots of advise, lot of folk on the Malibu Fb page have them, and if you find someone local, they might even let you try before you buy. Also if you new to foiling be prepared to put a lot of hours in learning, it’s not easy to to start with but when it clicks you will wonder what took so long! Good luck.

4skinuts

@04 VLX WINDERMERE UK

Thank you for posting!  That is amazing!  I’m going to South Florida next week. I hope I can find somewhere to take lessons. It looks like something challenging and fun to do when it is too rough for me to ski the slalom course. 

dalt1

I would like to try it but feel like it would not satisfy my need for air. Like surfing, I would get bored real fast with it. Strap it to you butt and let it FLY!!!!image.thumb.png.ff4a03f53438dcac9865214eca47a7f7.png