Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hooked on Foil Boarding

agarabaghi

Like flying sushi I also have a SSlxi.  I got the slingshot with the 68cm wing amd it was tough to go ropeless.  A buddy has the 84 wing and it has tons of lift but is not as responsive.  I just picked up a 76 wing and that is the sweet spot for me.  195 lbs.  the foil has more or less replaced the wakeboards on my boat, and now my girls are finally catching the slalom bug.  So we’re down to skis and foil on board, which is just fine with me!   In my opinion they are the two water sports best suited to this boat.  My buddies are out there burning 40 gal a day tractoring around the lake to surf.  I can go almost all weekend on a tank!

• Like 2
On 8/24/2021 at 2:29 PM, hmh800 said:

In my opinion they are the two water sports best suited to this boat.

Buy a boom and teach your girls to barefoot.  You'll have a three-sport boat and loads of fun without more boards in the boat.

On 4/15/2021 at 8:32 AM, MFknK said:

I am now riding Axis foils and would never look back to the Slingshot system. Like the difference in driving a Ferrari vs a Honda. 

@MFknK  

considering making the same move to Axis from Slingshot.  Any insight on what Axis gear works best for you behind the boat?  Looking at the PNG wings and the BSC wings but it gets confusing….

On 8/27/2021 at 11:48 AM, CharlieEcho said:

@MFknK  

considering making the same move to Axis from Slingshot.  Any insight on what Axis gear works best for you behind the boat?  Looking at the PNG wings and the BSC wings but it gets confusing….

A friend had an Axis 1050 that I rode.  He has the crazy short fuse.  Super responsive.  I rode it on the first and 2nd wave no problem.  He was back on the 5th wave and was cruising.  He is really good though.  I have a 25lsv and had the tanks full, no PNP and wedge on ramp.

I just bought an armstrong foil and love it.  I have the HS 1550 V2.  Their stuff is a little more interchangeable component wise than the axis line but don't think you can go wrong either way. 

Edited by Molarroller
  • Like 2

Thanks for the feedback.  I have a 25LSV and my friends have a 23LSV.  The optimal boat setup for foiling the 1st and 2nd wakes could be another topic entirely.

Making it look easy!  I'm getting pretty comfortable on the 1st and 2nd waves and tries a 2nd wave transfer to end my ride two nights ago when we were out and have work to do there.  I think I need to hit the button to transfer my gates WAY earlier back there.  I pumped my way across the wash and kinda lost my bearings and didn't have much to shoot for.  :lol: 

1 hour ago, martinarcher said:

Making it look easy!  I'm getting pretty comfortable on the 1st and 2nd waves and tries a 2nd wave transfer to end my ride two nights ago when we were out and have work to do there.  I think I need to hit the button to transfer my gates WAY earlier back there.  I pumped my way across the wash and kinda lost my bearings and didn't have much to shoot for.  :lol: 

same.  It's going to take a lot of work to figure out where the second wake even is on the heel side.  I can make it across, but it's sort of no mans land out there trying to find the push.

Sad to say but our Foil Season have come to end. All of our toys are out from water and heading to winter storage…  Our snow ski season is about to start.     That said ou2 2nd foil season was a full of improvement.  We have got used to the wake produced by our Sunsetter LXi with wedge and wake shaper.  We feel size and angle of wake is just right for our foil riding with medium range foil set up.  Our Slingshot 68cm (with 42mm tail wing and 61cm mast) foil on WF-2 board are very good for beginners and Lerner to get used with getting up and balance the foil…   Once get used with balancing foil without rope then move up to 84Cm (with 48mm tail wing and 71Cm mast) on either WF-1 or WF-2 board.  At the end of the season, we got Armstrong HS1550 V200 foil and replaced old Slingshot 76cm foils.   This new foil is so quick/fast yet very stable as well as so efficient for pumping.  Also, we got an Armstrong’s new WS-40 board which became our favorite set up.  I really enjoy foiling on 2nd and 3rd wake, and this set up made me feel far more confident.  (although I still love Slingshot set ups for the most of occasion) 

At the age of 58 I can foil half decent, but my son got far more advance on this summer with extra enjoyment.

• Like 3

Wow, snow ski season.  We just got a cold snap here, and going from mid 90s to upper 80s made it tolerable outside for the first time since about May.  The tomatoes are considering setting fruit again now that it is cool enough.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/27/2021 at 11:48 AM, CharlieEcho said:

@MFknK  

Sorry about the late response. Some of the wings I have and would recommend to learn on are not being made anymore. But I think the best all around front wing for the wake, currently available, is the 860 https://axisfoils.com/products/s-series-860mm-carbon-front-wing

This has been my go to for wake and surf since it came in late last year. I can still dock start and pump this one all over my cove, yet it still carves better than the others I have. I typically only ride this and the 900 high aspect9used in faster surf) unless I am using a wind wing.

It turns tighter than anything I have been on.

They have some new wings that I haven't had the opportunity to try yet. In general the high aspect ratio wings with a larger over all width are going to be easier to pump, the narrower surf wings are going to make tighter turns.

On 9/2/2021 at 12:16 PM, Molarroller said:

A friend had an Axis 1050 that I rode.  He has the crazy short fuse.  Super responsive.  I rode it on the first and 2nd wave no problem.  He was back on the 5th wave and was cruising.  He is really good though.  I have a 25lsv and had the tanks full, no PNP and wedge on ramp.

I just bought an armstrong foil and love it.  I have the HS 1550 V2.  Their stuff is a little more interchangeable component wise than the axis line but don't think you can go wrong either way. 

I use the 1050 on the wind wing. I don't like it for the wake as it doesn't carve well. It does however glide incredibly well and you could easily surf it on a jetski.

The armstrong stuff is really sick too. The 1550 rides very similar to the Axis 860 in terms of performance.

I am not sure how it could be more interchangeable than Axis?

Edited by MFknK
  • 1 month later...
On 5/2/2018 at 11:53 AM, agarabaghi said:

I am hooked.

You made that look easy!!!   My son and I really want to try it.  After seeing you video, I think we are going to try to find a board and do it this coming summer.   Thanks for a great video!!!!