Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hooked on Foil Boarding

agarabaghi

9 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Question for the wake foilers.  Do you need to make a giant wake to do this?  Is there and advantage to having a giant wake?

You don't need a giant wake; I ride (with a rope) behind a pontoon boat when the family wants to cruise.

An advantage to some wake is that you can pump the underwave. Behind the pontoon, even riding on the aerated exhaust stream can a fun challenge.

12 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

Question for the wake foilers.  Do you need to make a giant wake to do this?  Is there and advantage to having a giant wake?

Mt tax accountant just got one and asked me if I want to try it. I'm game - with safety equipment.  It looks like a blast!  Of course I think it is like tennis:  way more fun if you know what you are doing.  See https://www.tetongravity.com/video/surf/kai-lenny-brings-foil-board-to-wake-boat

• 1 month later...

I just pulled the trigger on a slingshot board. I really wanted to demo one, but nobody here seemed to have one to demo. I went with the Infinity 76cm wing. My hope is that this will allow the phat kids to ride as well as let me(the lightweight) learn to pump around some.

The videos posted of guys riding in channels and surfing the wind surge has me thinking that with the right setup, I may be able to pump from boat wake to boat wake...

I have not ridden one of the newer foil boards, but I did cut the seat off an air chair long ago to ride it stand up. Pretty excited to try this new board out.

• 1 year later...
On 5/6/2019 at 12:57 PM, SlingShot said:

Mission accomplished.  Ready for summer.  Now I just need to get the boat in the water.

IMG_0067.jpeg

IMG_0066.jpeg

IMG_0065.jpeg

Sorry guys, I know this is a really old thread, but slingshot, how did this board setup work out for you? I'm thinking about doing something like this, this winter.

• 3 months later...

You can foil behind anything, or even nothing!

this is a AK surf foil but with a Fanatic 2000 front wing 640 fuselage and a 625 rear wing !

will try to upload the video.

(that’s not me BTW it’s my daughter driving + boy freind and their freind foiling)

EE3D3AD3-4891-420D-95E2-2007B89D5014.png

3 hours ago, 4skinuts said:

Would it be possible to wakefoil behind a TXI without ballast?  What brand/size board and foil would be needed for a 200 

video as promised 

Edited by 04 VLX WINDERMERE UK
Changed link for a video
  • Like 1
25 minutes ago, REHinH20 said:

That link is asking for permission to view it... just so you know you are about to get a load of requests.

Thanks, put it on YouTube now!

2 hours ago, 04 VLX WINDERMERE UK said:

video as promised 

This is awesome, thanks for posting. Even the ol '85 skier has a bigger wake than that. Still considering buying one of the cheaper options, or DIY. Can't justify a $1500 board for something I've never even seen in real life.. .

https://crazyfoil.com/track-system-boards-behind-boat/ or https://www.clearwaterfoils.com/

Anyone ever use either of these?

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Jhucke said:

This is awesome, thanks for posting. Even the ol '85 skier has a bigger wake than that. Still considering buying one of the cheaper options, or DIY. Can't justify a $1500 board for something I've never even seen in real life.. .

https://crazyfoil.com/track-system-boards-behind-boat/ or https://www.clearwaterfoils.com/

Anyone ever use either of these?

Look up wakefoil surfer on Fb plus there are lots of kitesurf pages on Fb both have boards for sale and lots of advise, lot of folk on the Malibu Fb page have them, and if you find someone local, they might even let you try before you buy. Also if you new to foiling be prepared to put a lot of hours in learning, it’s not easy to to start with but when it clicks you will wonder what took so long! Good luck.

• Like 2

@04 VLX WINDERMERE UK

Thank you for posting!  That is amazing!  I’m going to South Florida next week. I hope I can find somewhere to take lessons. It looks like something challenging and fun to do when it is too rough for me to ski the slalom course. 

• 2 months later...

Those of you who are familiar with wing shapes and such, I found a 2018 Slingshot FSurf (h2 wing) with 24" mast for a really good price.  I am thinking about buying, just wondering if anyone had any experience with it. I'm sure compared to this years front wings, its less than optimal although I believe its the same wing as the current GAMMA. 960CM^2 SA, 4.8 aspect ratio, 68.8cm wide.

• 1 month later...

@Jhucke

Sorry you didn’t get a response sooner. 
the slingshot h2 isn’t a bad wing to start on.  

After I posted about ordering a Slingshot, I spent 3 months riding it and getting proficient. 

I am now riding Axis foils and would never look back to the Slingshot system. Like the difference in driving a Ferrari vs a Honda. 

At this point, I can jump off my dock onto the board and pump all over the place. Pump out and catch a boat wake to ride back. 
Its honestly the best piece of water gear ai have purchased in a long long time. Pumping a foil will get you in shape fast. Its the only real cardio I do anymore.

Once I had it figured out behind the boat, I took it to the surf at the coast. Texas generally doesn’t have good surf, but its unbelievable how perfect it can be for foiling.

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2021 at 7:32 AM, MFknK said:

@Jhucke

Sorry you didn’t get a response sooner. 
the slingshot h2 isn’t a bad wing to start on.  

After I posted about ordering a Slingshot, I spent 3 months riding it and getting proficient. 

I am now riding Axis foils and would never look back to the Slingshot system. Like the difference in driving a Ferrari vs a Honda. 

At this point, I can jump off my dock onto the board and pump all over the place. Pump out and catch a boat wake to ride back. 
Its honestly the best piece of water gear ai have purchased in a long long time. Pumping a foil will get you in shape fast. Its the only real cardio I do anymore.

Once I had it figured out behind the boat, I took it to the surf at the coast. Texas generally doesn’t have good surf, but its unbelievable how perfect it can be for foiling.

That is interesting that you say that because I have gotten some pretty conflicting advise from others saying the opposite that for a small old ski boat, the 68mm wing is not even worth my time unless I have a huge wakeboat wake to ride on, & I should rather be considering the largest widest wing I can find, like 90-100cm, 2k+cm^2 surface area.  That seems HUGE and cumbersome to the point where I'm wondering if it's even maneuverable at that point. For this reason I have not purchased anything, I'm just not ready to drop $15-2000 on something that I don't even know if I will like or not.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2019 at 11:59 AM, Eagleboy99 said:

One can only hope...  :)  I just discovered this:  https://www.realwatersports.com/products/foilmount-standard  So that old surfboard kicking around in the boathouse might get a second life! 

This is sick!

I have so many old boards that I wouldn’t mind revilatlizing with one of these especially since the foil board is really just a platform. 

• 2 weeks later...

So buddy bought one to play with. What suggestions for beginning? Long line, speed? Had a couple people ride for first time and were able to get up and taxi but soon as that board comes off the surface it's Surf gone wild! Some close dismounts too. Not sure I am willing to risk gashing my self and causing me not to be able to AirChair Hydrofoil the rest of vacation because if it.

• 1 month later...

I just got a Slingshot 86, I was told that is the one for behind the boat when your getting learning and good for progressing.  I actually put money down on a Neil Pryde 19 as Mac Kiteboarding said it was better for manuvability but I found one used for half the cost.

He was using it for winging as well and has now moved to Axis.  I think the thing is you can use it for a season or two get good and go from there.  I have ridden it 4 sessions and I was behind out VLX 2001 Sunsetter and was able to get ropeless.  I had about 10-15 sessions on my old foil but you had to go 18mph.

If you are learning I would just play with the speed.  If you get a big foil like the 86 it comes up at 4mph.  Also make sure to adjust your board mounting correctly.  At this point I just put tension on the line, tell the driver to go, I pop up right away but try to keep weight on my front foot though usually I will foil up depending on the drivers speed as they approach 10mph.  I just then wait for that 10mph sweet spot on our boat that makes the best wake and then turn into it and have fun.

MAN is it a leg workout holy s***.  My legs were done after a nice long slalom then I went on that and I could barely walk back up to the cabin.  Ill alternate them into the day next time but SO MUCH FUN.  I knew I loved it last year but a proper sized foil is so much easier.  I can only imaging dropping into surf wave and just riding over and over.  Goals for end of season in Tofino or next year.

This year I want to get my pumping and ropeless down, I got some good turning and started to understand the pumping.  More time on the water :)

I wore a full wetsuit and helmet when I first learned I also realized get the f*** off and dont try to save it.  I took one to the teeth and got a mouth guard after but hate using it and honestly you can usually avoid just bail properly youll figure it out.

Cant wait to post some video later!

• 2 weeks later...

We got hooked on foiling last year and making great progress.  I am 58 years old (although my son is 21) and It takes 5 days to recover from water ski or wake boarding but I do not get too tired on foiling since it more natural, smooth and comfortable ride.  We have a very clean 2001 Sunsetter LXi  (w only 280 hours) and 350lb ballast in ski locker, wedge down and shaper produce perfect smooth wake for foiling.   We found better use for old ski boat than just course skiing and very happy about that..  We foiled with latest boats which produce a huge wake but we enjoy better with smaller wake (but smooth) produce by our old ski boat.  If any we like to ride on our another boat which is 2020 Crownline 290SS with shaper.  A large heavy boat would produce nice smooth wake as well..   We started with Slingshot Gamma 68 foil and infinity 76.  This year we are using Infinity 84 foil and recently add Armstrong HS1550 V2 foil and really having fun especially on 2nd wake and wake transfer...    Only issue is we only have less than one month left on this season and switch to snow skiing........   

Edited by Flyingsushi
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up an unused Liquid Force Pod on FB last week.   WOW.   Super cool.   Ive been a lifelong surfer and this is awesome!   Pretty steep learning curve for me as there is a LOT of negative transfer of some skills but my son picked it up really fast!    Stayed on the long wakeboard rope for now but will move closer soon.  Amazing how quiet and efficient it is.   Takes very little wave and pumping to slacken the rope.