Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hooked on Foil Boarding

agarabaghi

Well I joined the foil club on Saturday. My awesome wife bought me a 2018 Slingshot Hover Glide Foil for my birthday. (https://www.wakemakers.com/slingshot-wakefoiler-wakesurf-board-2018.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxZPgBRCmARIsAOrTHSYg_cAnhrTK6CR54F9jirFTJWot0t_7UHnXEq4fgB7elm1sAXXRFbgaAtlPEALw_wcB) It is actually the same board and foil as @agarabaghi is riding in the first post.

A local dealer had a brand new 2018 package that we got a really great deal on. I can't wait to try this thing out and hopefully I will have a decent video to post later in 2019. Also I took the advice of some and ordered a helmet as well, just to help me feel safer as I figure out the foil. Thanks to everyone for your help on this forum!

Edited by Smitty4UK

I have heard that for foiling I need to get a "Wakeboard" rope that doesn't have any stretch to it.

For those that have foiled does the rope (ski vs wakeboard) make that much difference?

8 minutes ago, Smitty4UK said:

I have heard that for foiling I need to get a "Wakeboard" rope that doesn't have any stretch to it.

For those that have foiled does the rope (ski vs wakeboard) make that much difference?

I've only foiled with a wake rope. I imagine a ski rope would make it very hard though. I would think it has something to do with getting an unexpected jerk while learning and then having the stretch pull you past the length of the rope creating slack. When on foil there is very little resistance and any line changes could screw with you pretty easily. 

At one time I tried to WB with a ski line (friends boat and all they had) and got jerked forward as soon as I came of the wake sending my arm through the handle and going into the water head first. It about broke my arm. I could see something like that happening here. lean back to get on foil loading the line and then as soon as the friction is gone it jerks you forward.

I use a ski rope to air chair with the Deep V handle to help align the ski and make it easier to get up - I have not noticed the stretch and rebound - you are probably fine with either type rope.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2018 at 10:58 AM, McMiller said:

I use a ski rope to air chair with the Deep V handle to help align the ski and make it easier to get up - I have not noticed the stretch and rebound - you are probably fine with either type rope.

Once you start to do much on that air chair you need to get a non stretch rope.  Otherwise that handle will end up in the boat on one of your falls.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, RyanB said:

Once you start to do much on that air chair you need to get a non stretch rope.  Otherwise that handle will end up in the boat on one of your falls.

This, if for no other reason.  My buddy had the handle fly back into the boat and the handle nearly clubbed his kid in the forehead.

I bought one of those Clearwater foil kits.  $150

Also picked up a wake skate board (smaller wakeboard with no bindings) for $40

Will be a project for me and the kids this winter.  Will let you know how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on the Cleawater kit with my son.  It is a fair amount of work.  The boy is learning to lay up fiberglass though.  Life skill!

Will post up some pics once I figure out how to do that...:Doh:

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2019 at 5:40 PM, SlingShot said:

Been working on the Cleawater kit with my son.  It is a fair amount of work.  The boy is learning to lay up fiberglass though.  Life skill!

Will post up some pics once I figure out how to do that...:Doh:

Looking forward to it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got my Wakefoil last October and have had a blast riding over the past few months. It's a great way to improve (or at age 64, maintain) your balance. Compared to wake surfing, I'd say it's probably about 10x more difficult, along with 10x more fun. Given the choice between the two, it's the wakefoil hands down. I think it's important  to wake surf first, in order to learn how to ride a wave. I sure do wish we'd had all these cool toys growing up. So many more ways to enjoy the water now than 50 years ago.

• Like 1

Remember the first “air chair” snd J Ski’s for slow footing , tunnel boards ( one of the first knee boards,  the skurfer, and how many of these guys have ever ridden trick skis , our toys were fun just not like today, 

you still Wakeboarding , those have come along ways since the skurfer 

I need to stop spending money on boat do wife lets me buy a $12-1400 dollar water toy , 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We picked up a Sligshot foil package last week, I've been riding an Airchair since 96. Anyone else make the transition over from chair to board? Suggestions, tips? What speeds are you riding at?

• 2 weeks later...

After staring at my foil in my basement since December, I finally got the boat in the water yesterday to try it. It was a lot of fun. I have a long way to go in learning, but I made more progress than I expected on the first day.

Sorry for the shaky camera, it was mounted to the tower and I din't have it tight enough.

I recommend Slingshot's Foil Academy (https://www.foil-academy.com) it gave me lots of great info while I was waiting for winter to pass.

12 minutes ago, SlingShot said:

I am a complete novice but it seemed like you were going too slow.  Did you try a higher speed?

You are correct this was about 9 MPH. I was just trying to get the feel for the board and where to balance my weight. I did go up to 10 MPH. I'll take any advice you got. What speed do you foil at?

• 2 weeks later...

I have been foiling behind the boat for the past year.  It is awesome.  I foil at 11.6 mph.  No line.  I have two boards now.  A slingshot with H2 foil and a Crazy Foils mounted on a slingshot.  Both are really fun behind the boat.  Hoping to get one in the ocean soon. 

Edited by bformato
On 5/21/2019 at 9:44 AM, bformato said:

I have been foiling behind the boat for the past year.  It is awesome.  I foil at 11.6 mph.  No line.  I have two boards now.  A slingshot with H2 foil and a Crazy Foils mounted on a slingshot.  Both are really fun behind the boat.  Hoping to get one in the ocean soon. 

What size mast do you have in this video. I have the H2 foil and have only used the 15" mast so far, but I have only been out 3 days with it. I'm starting to get the hang of it, I can get in the sweet spot, but still working to throw the rope and stay in the wave.

On 5/28/2019 at 6:05 AM, Smitty4UK said:

What size mast do you have in this video. I have the H2 foil and have only used the 15" mast so far, but I have only been out 3 days with it. I'm starting to get the hang of it, I can get in the sweet spot, but still working to throw the rope and stay in the wave.

I have been using the 24" mast since I got the setup.  I have never used the 15" mast.  I have riden another board with a 26" mast and that was even better from a lift standpoint. I would recommend graduating to the 24" mast.