Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hooked on Foil Boarding

agarabaghi

I am really wanting to try foil surfing, but I don't want to shell out $1,200.00 without ever trying it first. I have talked to a store about a possible demo later in the summer.

You look like you have the hang of it. How much learning curve was there from wake surfing?

My other big concern is getting hit by the foil? Have you had any close calls with that while learning?

• Like 2

yea they sure are expensive. i got one for a great price of free =) i think the slingshot setup is almost $1600... if you are in FL anytime come ride it!

1 weekend of testing it out, but im sure i could teach someone who is decent on a board in a day using a long line. 

nah no issues with the foil ... couple s*** hits falling off the board and hitting my shin on it. 

Thanks! That is awesome. I just subscribed to your youtube channel. I recognized your boat and the drone shot  from the front of the boat  that I asked you about in "PICS OF YOUR BOAT ON THE WATER!"

martinarcher

That's the thing that scares me about foil boards....tangling with the foil as you go down since you're not strapped to the "safe side" like you are on the chairs.  Sure looks fun though!

13 minutes ago, Smitty4UK said:

Thanks! That is awesome. I just subscribed to your youtube channel. I recognized your boat and the drone shot  from the front of the boat  that I asked you about in "PICS OF YOUR BOAT ON THE WATER!"

if u have insta i post a lot more there 

3 minutes ago, martinarcher said:

That's the thing that scares me about foil boards....tangling with the foil as you go down since you're not strapped to the "safe side" like you are on the chairs.  Sure looks fun though!

yea me too... but its really seems pretty "safe" i might have taken a few sketchy spills in the beginning but for the most part the takes off like a surfboard away from you.

10 hours ago, martinarcher said:

You can get straps that are multi positional but I just wonder how adjustable and in Board sports with no bindings you end up moving your feet anyway so not quite sure how straps affect that but straps stop the come back and hit you cause you separated first 

I tried to surf mine yesterday. I have a wakefoil brand. I'm a big guy and wasn't able to get the foil flying on the wave. I can ride it long line no problem. I'm looking forward to haveing some of my lighter friends try it out. It's a blast to ride long line. I'm sure it would be fun to surf too but I'm not spending the extra dough to upgrade to the bigger wing and stiffer board that are better designed for surfing. 

Edited by isellacuras
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2018 at 11:57 AM, Weaklink said:

I have a friend who has one of these but we cant figure out how to get up on it. It’s too heavy to flip up with your heels like a regular surfboard.

Straps 

On 6/15/2018 at 9:57 AM, Weaklink said:

I have a friend who has one of these but we cant figure out how to get up on it. It’s too heavy to flip up with your heels like a regular surfboard.

You have to turn them to face forward on start up unlike a surfboard or wakeboard, where you start perpendicular to the boat and pull out to the side. No straps needed. 

I have AK wakefoil. I hold mine in place  to my feet, with foil bottom pointed to boat, then put the boat in gear and pull up same way I do on surfboard would after you have it flipped up to your feet. Get 75% of your weight on the front foot to start. Every single person that has tried mine, on the first attempt has all weight on back foot (like any other water sport) which immediately launches the foil out of the water... Makes for good wrecks. Mast all the way at the rear of the board will give you less lift, as your weight will have more leverage on it to keep it down. Start that way, then work it forward inch by inch as you get used to the fine weight adjustments needed.

I've only ridden mine longline so far. I think I'm ready for some surf attempts next time out though. It's pretty fun longline. I'm sure surfing will be even better. I feel it's also a way to improve your balance over all to improve regular surfing.

As far as safety goes, I feel if you are a skilled watersports athlete that know how to get pulled up.... If you make it past the first 20 or so pulls w/o going to the hospital, you should have it figured out enough to know how to fall on it. Basically don't be a hero. Just let go of rope and go down if things get squirrelly. 

Edited by TimbrSS
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am revisiting this thread still wanting to buy a foil board and try this out.

@agarabaghi and @TimbrSS or anyone else who owns a board. Are you still happy with your board and wake foiling? Any regrets with the foil? Any injuries from the foil? I know the AK board you can put fins on and use it as a wake surf board. Do you ever do this and how is it?

I just don't want to pay $1500 for a foil board if I am over it in a few months. I love wakesurfing and I am not sure if a foil board will take it to the next level or ruin it. Will I ever Wakesurf again without a foil?

Thanks!

@granddaddy55 Are you talking about the "2019 Slingshot Hover Glide WF-2 Wakefoil Package" for $1,358.30? I actually spoke to someone at Wakemakers and they said they would honor the Cyber Monday price if I ordered this week.

I'm trying to decide between the that foil and the "2019 WAKEFOIL Austin Keen Surf Series Foil Package"

Anyone have a recommendation on a foil board? I want to have the option to get fins and surf it, which is possible on both of these boards.

We have the 2019 Slingshot, great board, whole family enjoys it. Have not tried the other one.  Would not recommend using it for surfing, it’s a heavier board, and would be a pain to switch between hydrofoil and surf, especially on the water.  Better off having a dedicated surf board. 

I made a board and foil for about $300.  You can get the foil kit at https://www.clearwaterfoils.com/  It actually rides pretty good, I don’t even fill the ballast to surf it.  I had one close call with my head near the foil when I fell so now my wife makes me wear the helmet....

DD73073F-0AB5-4503-90FF-80E1D0772D44.jpeg

F99E00B5-29AE-4E19-97B1-18CF8429B0A9.jpeg

• Like 3

^^Neat! 

Can you mount a wakeboard or something to the aluminum surf foil? I’ve got a couple older ones we don’t use anymore and it says it uses standard mounts. Add some non skid and go?

On 11/29/2018 at 8:00 AM, Smitty4UK said:

@granddaddy55 Are you talking about the "2019 Slingshot Hover Glide WF-2 Wakefoil Package" for $1,358.30? I actually spoke to someone at Wakemakers and they said they would honor the Cyber Monday price if I ordered this week.

I'm trying to decide between the that foil and the "2019 WAKEFOIL Austin Keen Surf Series Foil Package"

Anyone have a recommendation on a foil board? I want to have the option to get fins and surf it, which is possible on both of these boards.

Don’t do that, just put it in your top rack upside down and surf foil with it and put it away and use your good surfboard