Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 21 VLX ballast setup recommendations

Blenderhead

7 minutes ago, bob93713 said:

Guys, question please on an older thread.

My family and I are totally new to this and close to purchasing a 2019 21 VLX

Does anyone have a 21VLX and not run the additional PNP bags? (stands for plug and play I believe)

Really hate to give up any additional storage space, can you still surf without the additional bags? Particularly a wimpy beginer wave? Is this something that can be purchased later easily if we change our mind? 

thanks

If it's plumbed for PNP you don't have to run the bags and could add them later.  If it's not plumbed for PNP, it would be hard and expensive to add later.  Better to have and not use than not have and wish you had.

As for surfing, smaller waves are harder to ride because the pocket is smaller and less forgiving.  What are you putting in your rear lockers that you have used up all the space?  You packing a BBQ and a generator or something?

2 hours ago, bob93713 said:

Guys, question please on an older thread.

My family and I are totally new to this and close to purchasing a 2019 21 VLX

Does anyone have a 21VLX and not run the additional PNP bags? (stands for plug and play I believe)

Really hate to give up any additional storage space, can you still surf without the additional bags? Particularly a wimpy beginer wave? Is this something that can be purchased later easily if we change our mind? 

thanks

My boat came with the bags when I bought it. Try to talk the dealer into throwing those in with the purchase. 2020’s are coming in and they want to start moving those boats. You will definitely want the bags especially for a beginner. That extra weight will help give you more push and you will need it as you progress. There is still plenty of storage even with the bags.

• 5 weeks later...

We just took delivery of our new 21 VLX. Great boat and we use the 550 each side PNP bags. The issue is that they crushed the engine locker on both sides and the dealer will have to fix those. the rubber runner that the removable sides sit in was unseeded, I guess because of the extra weight pressing on the sides. We tried it without the extra PNP and while surfable it is too small a wave. 

Also weird that the ski pylon is the axis permanently up one rather than the pop up one and that has to be changed by the dealer. 

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,  I just tried the new 2019 MLX 21 for a run at my dealer today and they recommend using the PNP and fill all.  What I found strange was that they don't recommend deploying the wedge if you use the PNP ballast. 

The boat bow rise was really low with this configuration with a pretty nice looking clean wave at 10.8-11mph.  They also said this would save on gas which I can understand however I wonder how the push in the wave is whiteout the wedge deployed.  Does anyone here run the MLX 21 this way and actually surfed behind one with no wedge?

• 2 weeks later...

I added a 650 triangle bag to the bow. It sits on top of the seats so you lose that seating but it really is a game changer. With full stock ballast plus full 550s plus front bag we don't need the wedge. With full ballast and full 550s but NO bow bag we could not deploy the wedge or the nose pointed up like a rocketship and we could not hit 10.8 mph. So, IMO, the bow bag fixes all problems but you have to be careful not to swamp it. 

I also think the depth of the lake you are in makes a difference, but I don't know why. My home lake is only about 10' deep so I run a little less ballast all around and use the wedge to shape the wake. 

Edited by Weaklink
  • 1 year later...

I have a 2020 21VLX and plan on adding PnP for next  year. The engine divider panels seem pretty solid. What is everyone's opinion on adding the engine divider supports Wakemaker sells?

35 minutes ago, Duoglass said:

I have a 2020 21VLX and plan on adding PnP for next  year. The engine divider panels seem pretty solid. What is everyone's opinion on adding the engine divider supports Wakemaker sells?

i added them on a 14 axis a20 where i run 850’s but with the recommended smaller size sacs given the improved surf hulls, it may not be necessary , or they are over filling like i do when we listed surf and only fill one side

edit : after reading above older posts it must still be necessary

when placing the u channels try to make sure they are not rubbing hoses, new motor vs indmar gm 5.7 set up may not have hoses running next to divider like mine

Edited by granddaddy55
39 minutes ago, Duoglass said:

You don't need them.  The bags you will want to put in there won't exceed the supports your boat already has.  If the bags you add are too big, your supports won't be the issue as much as you looking at the sky while driving will be.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

New 21 VLX coming in March with 550 PnPs for the rear, and an extra 650 triangle Fatsac for the bow.  Curious if anyone runs additional ballast in the sides under the cushions? If so make and size? 

I ordered the boat with the M6 and standard prop. We are in the DFW area (no altitude issues). Anyone running an M6 in a VLX?  

Edited by KPorter