Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

so the 2018 t22 stereo sucks...

JotsT22

So I'm going to be replacing the stock interior speakers adding tower speakers and a sub and amping everything. I have a pretty good idea what i will be doing with those things, y big question however is how to control everything. has anyone replaced the dash controller or head unit or whatever it is called with something that doesn't suck? Does anyone know if there is a way to keep the beeps you get when you're transferring while surfing and or keep the volume function in the surf bad working? 

which sound pack did you get? i dont think anyone has complained about the SP2 or higher sound? The only complaints are the headunit that is a big laggy on input (mostly just vol).

No there is currently no way to get the beeps auto volume or surf band to work 

i bought sp1 with intention to upgrade it myself. i knew what i was getting with that. I'm just having a hard time believing that a head unit in a $85k can be this bad.

Yes, the head unit is a weak link. The other, is the lack of an external amp for the in-boats. With proper power and tune, most any in-boat is going to sound much better then straight off head unit.

• Like 1

Drop the coin jots. Its well worth it. Im sure one day soon we’ll figure out how to keep surf band volume control and surf gate transfer beep. I think WS is currently working on it. 

10 minutes ago, onewake09 said:

Drop the coin jots. Its well worth it. Im sure one day soon we’ll figure out how to keep surf band volume control and surf gate transfer beep. I think WS is currently working on it. 

I'm almost certain the MC-1 will be the new unit for 19 Axis boats. 

4 minutes ago, onewake09 said:

I'm planning on doing it right with rev10 tower speakers,  rec06 interior speaker,  and a sub (idk which one yet). tower speakers, interior speakers and sub will all be amped separately . the only thing I'm not sure about is what to replace the head unit with. it just drives me nuts that i'll lose 2 functions (i know i don't really need them) with any of the aftermarket head units. 

ahopkins22LSV

I'd suggest adding an amp to power the interior speakers appropriately before you say that they suck and need to be replaced. Bold statement to make after ordering SP1 and having 6 in boat speakers being powered by a head unit. No head unit would be able to power those correctly.

• Like 2

Wetsounds MC-1 is hands down the best headunit solution. You will, however, lose the Surfband volume control and the audible transfer beep through the tower speakers.

ahopkins22LSV
20 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

Wetsounds MC-1 is hands down the best headunit solution. You will, however, lose the Surfband volume control and the audible transfer beep through the tower speakers.

I am not sure he has the transfer beep anyway. I thought you only get the module if you order SP2/3. There was a thread on this a few months ago. I could be mistaken and it was only stereo delete that doesn't get the module, but I thought it was only SP2/3.

5 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

I am not sure he has the transfer beep anyway. I thought you only get the module if you order SP2/3. There was a thread on this a few months ago. I could be mistaken and it was only stereo delete that doesn't get the module, but I thought it was only SP2/3.

Ahh, I didn't even think of that. Good point.

No-brainer in that case.

I think I'm just living vicariously through everyone else that has money to spend on the MC-1. That's basically on the bottom of a very long list of "needs" for my boat ha.

Edited by boardjnky4

One is basically a compact head unit with no internal amp, so it cannot drive any speakers, only pre-out RCAs. It requires a larger hole to fit the chassis, but has an overall smaller screen.

The other is a black box system thats 2 ohm stable and can drive up to 4 pair of 4 ohm speakers in addition to the 4 zone RCA outputs. The screen is larger, but only requires a 1" hole for the cable. The unit supports a wired remote with LCD display. Most of the basic functions, including zone volume can be controlled at the remote. Has the ability to control RGB LEDs with the additon of a driver. 3.5mm AUX OUT

21 hours ago, Fman said:

Guy orders SP1 and posts how the stereo sucks, then tells us his plan all along was going to be to install his own system.  Maybe you should have done a stereo delete and started from a clean slate.  Much better title for this thread would have been "Suggestions for my T22 stereo install":) Personally I would bypass the head unit completely and run with a Exile ZLD or WS 420 EQ with Exile digital media center.

https://www.exileaudio.com/store/install-accessories/bluetooth/exmc1.html

I knew the speakers wouldn't be the best but the head unit controlling everything is inexcusably bad. its laggy,  awkward, and its 2018... how hard is it to make a day/night illumination setting without having to go into the settings menu to manually dim it.