Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need 2500HD truck

racer808

47 minutes ago, RyanB said:

The 7.3 was a great engine.  In it's time.  By todays standards, it is pretty much a dog.  Even tuned I would argue it is nothing special. 

dude, who are you arguing with?  Read my posts -- I TOTALLY agree with that assessment. The 3.5 eco smokes the 7.3.  What I'm saying is that if a tuned 7.3 makes a V10 feel like a dog in comparison, then the V10 = an old ratty jyd.

What is the deal with the Ford 6.0L Diesel?  Read lots of conflicting "you should run like hell from that engine" to if it's high miles, well maintained it doesn't have the issues the other 6.0's did cause the issues presented themselves in the early life of the engine.

Found a nice 05 F350 w/ 6.0L diesel, truck has 260k miles on it but looks brand new, it's all highway miles from a traveling product rep, all maint done by a local shop per the manual, new turbo housing, new alternator, new springs, shocks, new injectors & nice new tires.  Said he used 4x4 twice in snow, never towed.  It runs good, drives good, it's been online forever & the price just keeps going down down down, guy said he can't get rid of it cause the miles & the reputation of the 6.0L Diesel.  I've seen some of the 6.0L fords on other forums guys talking 350k, 400k miles on their trucks???  For what I think I can get it for & the condition it's in I would have no issue dumping another 5k into it to make sure that motor lasts.

I had an 04, and I was very reluctant to purchase it after what I read online. Ultimately, I ended up buying it. I had a few weird start ups about 6 months after I bought it so I had it checked out. Turns out half the injectors had been replaced so we replaced the other half and I drove the crap out of it. It was a great truck. If it’s been maintained like you say it has and the injectors have already been replaced i would take a good look at it. 

Egr is one other thing a lot of guys deleted and blocked. I never had that problem with mine. Bought mine in early 09 with 100K, drove it till late 11 and sold it with 160K. Had my wife not gotten a work vehicle I would probably still have it. 

1 hour ago, racer808 said:

What is the deal with the Ford 6.0L Diesel?  Read lots of conflicting "you should run like hell from that engine" to if it's high miles, well maintained it doesn't have the issues the other 6.0's did cause the issues presented themselves in the early life of the engine.

Found a nice 05 F350 w/ 6.0L diesel, truck has 260k miles on it but looks brand new, it's all highway miles from a traveling product rep, all maint done by a local shop per the manual, new turbo housing, new alternator, new springs, shocks, new injectors & nice new tires.  Said he used 4x4 twice in snow, never towed.  It runs good, drives good, it's been online forever & the price just keeps going down down down, guy said he can't get rid of it cause the miles & the reputation of the 6.0L Diesel.  I've seen some of the 6.0L fords on other forums guys talking 350k, 400k miles on their trucks???  For what I think I can get it for & the condition it's in I would have no issue dumping another 5k into it to make sure that motor lasts.

The 6.0 cost Ford BILLIONS of $ in warranty, and soured the relationship between Ford and Navistar enough that they ended up suing each other and caused Ford to change and build their own 6.7.  

If you can get this one at the right price, and still dump $5k into it, it might be worth looking at.  But all the trouble that owner is having selling his truck is going to be what you run into in a couple years (your timeline) when you go to sell it.

I don't know many people other than die hard Ford fans that would recommend that engine.

I have 2 friends that have the 6.0. 1 has had nothing but problems..... the other Friends 6.0 won’t die. He owns his own construction business and hauls everyday all day and on the weekends he hauls his 28’ jet boat all over the place. I believe he has over 250k on it, with no plans of getting a new one. 

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:20 PM, RyanB said:

Pre 2003, the V10 actually had very similar output to the Cummins.  If you aren't towing at elevation, it might feel the same.  But since @racer808 is in Colorado, the edge goes to the Cummins with the forced induction.  But the V10 is still very capable.

The V10 actually had a higher tow capacity than the Cummins.  But engine power wasn't the limiting factor, the total combined weight allowed was the same, it's just that the diesel engine weighed 300lbs more, so its tow capacity was 300lbs less.

Tested a F250 w/ V10.  Gutless, can't imagine towing uphill with that without the pedal to the floor.  Might as well keep the 1500.  I keep coming back to the F350 w/ the 6.0L.  I spoke with a very reputable shop that specializes in Powerstrokes & he said if the motor is high mileage & well maintained it's one of the good ones.  Gonna check the truck out & see about paying for the inspection.  I really like the truck, not sure how I feel about the tan interior though I can't stand that color but we'll see.

Still want that Suburban in Reno if it's still there & Shawn can check it out

Edited by racer808

So after testing the Ford F350 w/ the 6.0L I decided I have no need for a truck this big.  It is like driving a bus.  But it's a cool looking & pretty sure it's solid truck.  Everything checked out, it's been bulletproofed along with all the emissions crap removed, it's a 2005 which supposedly when Ford & International got it together, interior is a 9.  But it's huge, hard to turn around, totally unnecessary & not needed but man for the price I just couldn't walk away & don't care about resale.  I'm even leaving the wrap on.  In a month or two they'll agree to pay me $50 a month if I quit driving like an A-hole flinging bananas at people.  But here she be!  

00u0u_7ds_Ilcour0_U_600x450.jpg

frontal_2.jpg

• Like 4
30 minutes ago, racer808 said:

So after testing the Ford F350 w/ the 6.0L I decided I have no need for a truck this big.  It is like driving a bus.  But it's a cool looking & pretty sure it's solid truck.  Everything checked out, it's been bulletproofed along with all the emissions crap removed, it's a 2005 which supposedly when Ford & International got it together, interior is a 9.  But it's huge, hard to turn around, totally unnecessary & not needed but man for the price I just couldn't walk away & don't care about resale.  I'm even leaving the wrap on.  In a month or two they'll agree to pay me $50 a month if I quit driving like an A-hole flinging bananas at people.  But here she be!  

That right there is TMC logic, through and through.

Congrats! 

Good news is the wrap comes off.  Little worried the paint will have two different tones though.  We need to keep in mind here it's pretty solid & cheap, I will probably list it in other states for more $$ & see what happens.  The antlers are chick magnets

Edited by racer808

LOL, it does not but I swear on my heart I am getting some!  This place is going to really end up regretting selling me this truck with the wrap still on.  Oh the bonus, it's got those huge hitch mounted mud flaps!  

rock tamers are the bomb.  I won't tow without them after getting my old boat shredded when local road maintenance authorities decided it'd be a good idea to pour gravel all over five miles of the road to the lake.

Who is taking the wrap off and how much are they charging?

I need to get some residual clear bra off my car and I’m tired of messing with it myself.....

I have not looked into that.  I thought a heat gun, a hot day & some goo gone would be enough?  I will check into that after I find some truck nutz & evil looking bullhorns.  

1 hour ago, Falko said:

"We measure success by what's in the freezer."

Hmmph, must have been a vegan's ride....

I'm gonna find a way to work dead hookers in that phrase