Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

18’ LSV Surf Setup

gibbs114

I put my new 23 LSV in the water today. We got some surfing in but couldn’t get it dialed in just right yet? We are running all hard tanks full and 580 wake makers in the rear lockers and 200lbs lead scattered out in storage. I want the lead in the nose but it want fit? Was was real good with the wedge on ramp but all other Wedge settings washed it out bad. Push was also lacking some today but we were running in shallow water about 12’ vs are normal 40’. If anyone is having any luck with different setups let me know I will play more with it next weekend hopefully.

Tried both I ride both ways but goofy most of the time. I like to ride around 11 tried from 10 to 12 never found the best wave. My T23 was a monster at 11 no Wedge and 3,500 total ballast.

Depth was most likely the qualifying factor here , if you normally run at 40' id say toss out this session. 12ft would be the absolute minimum to surf in.

Edited by Stevo

^^^  what he said.  Not the same year as yours, but my LSV has a better wave in >10' of water.  We have some shallow spots on our normal lake (i.e. 6-10 feet) and the wave size basically disappears and all the push is gone if we venture accidentally into that area.  I don't believe any amount of weight will improve a wave in shallow water.

Edited by DAI

Can you get back to your normal depth to play with it this weekend? You should be ok in 12’ but I agree that the wave drops off when it gets shallower than that.

Sounds like you know what you’re doing from the T23 but put the lead as far forward as you can and maybe dump a bit of weight from the rear if you’re still having any issues in better water. I don’t think you should need less rear weight but I haven’t been on the ‘18 enough when it’s fully ballasted to know the tweaks to make just yet. I’m hoping to play around with it this weekend since break-in is finally done.

Here’s what the goofy side should look like though in 20-30’ at 10.6-10.8, 475’s in the rear, 1-2 clicks of wedge from lift and 5 in the boat.

C4080ECF-0461-48BB-A274-E528E79B50DC.jpeg

3E836C1E-9A7D-4C43-8F27-B42B6A17D141.jpeg

• Like 2

That looks good! I may have too much rear weight I’m running 580’s and the platform is slammed. Probably 3” deep when full. My T23 was right on the water line with 1100’s

Talk to @ConnollyCrew, I surfed his but with a 1000 lb bow bag he sais it doesn’t need but prefers it fir his regular side wave and his skim board

hes owned one longer than anybody I think 

Lots of push both sides 10.7 everything full with 350 in the walkway with the wedge 2 or 3 from ramp depending on up or downstream.

EA4DCFBD-56D8-49B7-9C4D-18FB1820F006.jpeg

FE2FEA80-D09B-40A4-A17C-71C002DA82B7.jpeg

Yep my normal spot water is 40 to 60 feet in the river we ride with a pretty good current. I also only had one person with me yesterday vs 4 last week.

Add a bow bag.....Also drop 50-100# lead in the rear corner on surf side( i use 100). The remainder of lead should go under the tower base on surf side....Then....BOOM.....

And if you want to get stupid .... put another 500# bag in the floor, mid-boat......

Edited by ConnollyCrew

Looks good. I will be playing more with it tomorrow I have 300lbs lead and 1200lbs worth of extra sacs if I need it😂 The boat may be sold already so I might have to start over again.

I like 10.7 and 350lbs in the walkway. The wave is legit and crazy push. Much better in the deeper water. That is a simple setup and it works.

B8494FDD-8845-462A-BB31-9BBDA5BFC86D.jpeg

• 1 year later...
On 5/5/2018 at 5:45 PM, ConnollyCrew said:

Add a bow bag.....Also drop 50-100# lead in the rear corner on surf side( i use 100). The remainder of lead should go under the tower base on surf side....Then....BOOM.....

And if you want to get stupid .... put another 500# bag in the floor, mid-boat......

@ConnollyCrew Do you (or anyone else) have any advice for setup on 2019 25LSV. I had a 2017 25LSV with just stock setup and two 750 Fat Sacs in the rear and could dial the surf wave perfect. I usually filled factory to 100% and then Fat Sacs to about 50%. Just got the 2019 and I moved the Fat Sacs over to new boat and am struggling to dial it in. The 2019 ballast system incorporates the Fat Sacs so it is harder to tell my ratio.

I want to get the best I can without adding any lead. I'll take any advice you have on ballast or wedge.

2 hours ago, Smitty4UK said:

@ConnollyCrew Do you (or anyone else) have any advice for setup on 2019 25LSV. I had a 2017 25LSV with just stock setup and two 750 Fat Sacs in the rear and could dial the surf wave perfect. I usually filled factory to 100% and then Fat Sacs to about 50%. Just got the 2019 and I moved the Fat Sacs over to new boat and am struggling to dial it in. The 2019 ballast system incorporates the Fat Sacs so it is harder to tell my ratio.

I want to get the best I can without adding any lead. I'll take any advice you have on ballast or wedge.

Congrats on the 25! It should give you an amazing wave without much trouble at all but you will need 400 or so pounds of lead on the port side to counteract the torque twist/lean from the prop rotation. The 17" prop has a lot of torque, causing the boat to lean to the starboard side when under power.

Do a google search on this site and you should see a lot of discussion on that from early 25 LSV owners this year. The G23/G25 have the same issue and fix, so it’s not just a 25 LSV thing.

Edited by NWBU
2 hours ago, Smitty4UK said:

Congratulations on the new 25LSV. BTW, we all like pictures. 

@Dfowkes  can give some great help. However, you need lead. I quite often run a small crew. Usually. 3-5 people and it is not enough weight. I counteracted with about 700 in lead. Now the wave is great. When I do load up people it only gets better. 

As @NWBU stated. It takes right at 350-400. Just to balance the lean from the prop torque.