Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with 2014 Axis stereo

atropine

I just bought a 2014 Axis a24 that came with the factory-installed Sony CDX-h910ui with a transom remote.  The previous owner also installed a Wetsounds 420SQ unit.  Unfortunately no Bluetooth capability in either unit.  

What are my options for obtaining Bluetooth access?  Looks like Wetsounds makes a Bluetooth “puck”?  Or add a Bluetooth adapter via the rear RCA aux inputs?  What about going all the way and removing the Sony unit and the WS420 and installing a Wetsounds MC-1 with the WS transom remote?  I really don’t like the Sony unit but sound quality is actually pretty good with the WS420.  But a couple hours into yesterday the Sony unit stopped recognizing my phone was plugged into it..... tried a new cord when we got home and it recognized it.  But then I plugged the original cord back in and it worked fine too!  It wasn’t just a loose connection.... I unplugged and replugged that cord in about 20 times while at the lake.  

I know the MC1 is a lot of $$$ but will it fit directly in the same dash he as the Sony?  If not, does anyone make an adapter kit like in cars?  I helped a friend installed a Fusion unit about a year ago in his 2014 Axis and it seems like we had to cut out about 1/4” of the dash on each side of the pocket to make the Fusion fit.... I tried to look up dimensions for the Sony and for the MC-1 but couldn’t find them listed.

i definitely want to have a transom remote so I know if I buy the MC-1 I will have to buy a new transom remote also.

Edited by atropine
34 minutes ago, atropine said:

Unfortunately no Bluetooth capability in either unit.

Both the head the EQ zone controller will support a universal blue tooth receiver from any number of manufacturers. The head unit has rear AUX-in RCA and the EQ has an AUX in RCA as well. IMO, Id connect to the head unit AUX-in and leave the system as is as long as the head unit and EQ still function normally. The issue between your phone and the head unit plugged up USB might not be so much an issue with the head unit, but rather that its been retired for 4 years and may not have a firmware that supports a new phone. IF USB connectivity is desired, then upgrading to a newer unit might be the way to go. Sony does offer a couple of models with integrated BT that are compatible with your current transom remote. 

Thanks- I just found the MC-1 dimensions on the Google and compared them to my current Sony, and I think you are right- should work.   

If I keep the current setup and add a bluetooth receiver via the rear Aux RCA inputs, will I be able to utilize the head unit or transom remote forward/back buttons to skip forward or back between tracks when playing music from my phone via Bluetooth?

7 hours ago, atropine said:

will I be able to utilize the head unit or transom remote forward/back buttons to skip forward or back between tracks when playing music from my phone via Bluetooth?

Unfortunately, universal blue tooth receivers only interface with the head unit with a music signal. There is no by-directional data communication. There are a couple of rocker switch size and round panel mount blue tooths that give some music control, but again, once the music is sent on to the main source unit, its just the music, so nothing playlist wise can be done at the head or remote. 

This is the advantage of a media center or head unit with integrated blue tooth. The signal come in much like USB for example, and can be controlled, like track advancing.   

Thanks!  That’s kinda what I was guessing.    So if you want it all, you have to be willing to pay.  I am leaning toward the MC-1 with the Wetsounds transom remote..... I really want to have high-quality Bluetooth with transom controls and the easy user interface that the MC-1 reportedly has.  I have Wetsounds cabin speakers, WS 12” free air sub, and 410’s.  Why not a MC-1 also...

i know I could replace the Sony HU with a newer one and have the same capability for a lot less $$$ but I really want to be able to crank the music loud and have high sound quality (we boat on a very deserted part of Lake Mead).  The reviews I have read indicate the sound quality at high volume is excellent with the MC-1.

Edited by atropine

Well, I was playing around in the boat last night and discovered that the previous owner had a Bluetooth receiver installed and wired into the rear RCA aux inputs of my Sony head unit already!  I hadn’t seen it before and I guess it finally just auto-paired and all I had to do was switch the source to aux and wait a few seconds and it would start playing (as long as the phone was unplugged from the USB cable).  Now I am wondering if somehow this was related to my phone not playing last Saturday..... still doesn’t explain why a different iPhone wouldn’t play when plugged in on USB mode, but for now I’m just gonna try it again for a full day at the lake and see what happens.  With the WS EQ the system sounds so good it seems a shame to spend the $$$ on a new head unit if I don’t have to.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, atropine said:

still doesn’t explain why a different iPhone wouldn’t play when plugged in on USB mode,

Likely do to that head unit being 4 or so years retired. It may not support newer phones. 

@atropine I think the default code for connecting to the BT is all zeros or all ones, four of them , can’t renrmber but there is an owners manual for blue tooth or HU that defines code

What about the WS blue tooth rocker switch receiver/remote  I saw on eBay (only one add said that it was a receiver). If that was hard wired to EQ , wouldn’t it give you phone control functionality 

the BT rocker switch receiver/remote won’t wirk in 14 dash switch slots but if it controls phone music maybe cut a hole in the side vinyl on circuit breaker side panel

what about the ws blue tooth control knob, isn’t that the receiver to add to Ws420sq, reading wetsounds site it “seems” that way 

My Sony usb supports i6, but I guess that’s no longer modern? We occasionally have USB connection issues usually overcome by HU aux source switching with patience to other source and back with unplugging and plugging usb 

my mom’s Panasonic tv vs her Sony stereo that gets switched to TV source and the audio setting being output fir surround on reading the TV power up, I assume uses FIRMWARE. My older mom gets inpatient waiting for it to “boot” and uses remote to early and I have to cycle the power on TV for it to work 

it gets progressively slower since installing it in 2009 and she gets more inpatient waiting for it to boot

i really think HIS SONY supports the phone and when we are having problems , usually patience wins in the USB

I wonder if his Bluetooth is like mine and wired to ignition , when I changed HU to acc Power I didn’t switch the blue tooth.  Every time you turn key off you lose connection, bet that’s why previous owner didn’t tell him about the blue tooth factory add on cause it was wired to ignition 

and you have to go in to phone settings and connect each time at start of day , I think same when turning key off

need to move blue tooth power to ACC

snd shouldn’t current blue tooth puck be input to EQ, but I guess he loses transom functions , but he should only really have volume back their cause if he changes tracks from there he’ll lose the playlist, so if auto connectivity and complete control from transom including turn on to work in driveway means MC1  or similar is only way to go.  ESPECIALLY IF YOUR ABOUT TO SPEND RETAIL On a 420 snd add on blue tooth cause your guaranteed to lose transom  functionality and your at $400+ versus $700 plus a future transom remote 

i can’t remember if you have phone functionality in blue tooth from head unit or not using installed HU blue tooth, if it does your problem is solved and you don’t have to do anything!!! Other than accessory Power fir HU and blue tooth

the Sony HU is satellite ready and has a very good tuner

does MC1have a tuner??

maybe now that I switched my HU to acc, the blue tooth might work now and stay connected cause I assumed it was getting Power from key switch, maybe it gets Power from HU with a splice?, I may have never checked , will check this weekend connect blue tooth and see if it controls playlist or not and see if it stays connected at key off

Edited by granddaddy55
1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

What about the WS blue tooth rocker switch receiver/remote  I saw on eBay (only one add said that it was a receiver). If that was hard wired to EQ , wouldn’t it give you phone control functionality 

the BT rocker switch receiver/remote won’t wirk in 14 dash switch slots but if it controls phone music maybe cut a hole in the side vinyl on circuit breaker side panel

what about the ws blue tooth control knob, isn’t that the receiver to add to Ws420sq, reading wetsounds site it “seems” that way 

Any universal blue tooth can be added to a head unit or EQ/zone control that has rear audio AUX-IN. Some fit a rectangle switch cutout, some a round hole or surface mount, while others are mounted behind the helm out of site. 

1 hour ago, granddaddy55 said:

need to move blue tooth power to ACC

A BT would need to share the B+ and the main source unit, whether its an EQ or traditional head unit. 

Ok that means I need to retry our blue tooth receiver and see if it stays connected , I’m guessing it won’t have playlist functionality, but I’ll try that at HU as well