Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Refueling with co-owners

Screwdriver

Hey guys! I just bought a used wakesetter together with 3 friends. Im still looking for the ultimate refueling sollution so its fair for everybody. How do you solve this problem when one of your co-owners is cruising? Do you have a logbook and write down the minutes? ...

cheers

4 minutes ago, Jmann said:

Just prepare for no longer having those 3 as friends in about two years.

Haha good one! One is my girlfriend and one my brother. Hope to still have them in 3 years. The other one im allready thinking of dropping him haha

Good luck.  I get where your coming from.   It gets easier as life goes on.

I remember when I used to go to friends houses For a party and it was always BYOB..   Now i bring a bottle of wine for the host and drink my friends $200 scotch.  My friends drink mine when they come over and no one keeps up.  We burn my gas when we take my boat and his when we take his.  

In all seriousness, what you describe can be a point that will drive others away if too persistent with it and can leave you feeling resentfull and cheated if its a big deal to you.   Mabye just have a fill it up before you park it rule, like rental equipment.  Quibbling over gas can and has ruined many a weekend. 

• Like 4

Yeah the fill it up before you park rule would be the easiest but as our boat is hanging on a buoy and we have to refuel by canister thats not as easy as i would like it to be. Filling it up all the way by canister mostly results in spilling some gas in the water and id like to avoid that

If you all are always on the boat just take turns paying for a full tank at the end of the day. A lot easier than everyone bringing a can

Assuming you're all doing your own thing and sharing (not together)... then why not just estimate the fuel cost per hour of operation and have everyone toss that amount into a jar or whatever and whoever ends up filling up can use the shared funds.

fill it before you park it is the ONLY way to go. It's equally inconvenient for everyone but the only way to make it work in my opinion. You will use a different amount of fuel depending on what sports you're doing so a log wouldn't really work.  I think a partnership can be great but you have to trust your partners 100% and understand that stuffs gonna happen. 

• Like 3

Yep, it will never work out "fair" for everyone. There will be times where every one of you is gonna feel like you are doing more than everyone else (at least hopefully you will...otherwise the one that isnt, is not carrying any load and is a freeloader), cause there are always the questions of who cleans...do you split everything right down the middle? Who pays for the maintainance....if someone hits a log, do you ALL pay for the new prop and any repairs? If the motor blows, are you all equally responsible or is it the last person driving who you say rodding on the engine last time he was out? Ha....these are the reasons why co-owning a boat never works. Trust me when I say that if you insist on finding out the hard way, then a good strong contract is the ONLY way to go, ESPECIALLY with friends, if they are friend you wanna keep. I learned a long time ago to have strong contracts for all I do and if a friend, make it even stronger (cause then there is no dispute on what the terms are and it is what it is). Course, I would NEVER co-own with someone else cause I have been screwed over too many times by people that I thought were my "friends". Good luck, hope it works for you.

Oh yea....if you gotta fill boat with cans then use a shaker siphon to do it. You can set the can level on the sundeck over a towel, use the shaker and not spill a drop as long as you are careful to not overflow the tank....if you tilt the can for the last 30 second you can also get just about every drop of fuel out of the can too using the shaker siphon. You can find them all over the place and they work great. I actually fill my boat that way in garage 25% of the time.

• Like 2

I have been in a boat partnership and it is just finishing after 3 years.  It is not an ugly divorce and I don't think I have lost my friend over it.  It was just time to have full control, and be independent.  Mostly was my wife's idea to break up.  So not every boat partnership goes bad in a bad way.  

We always tried to fill up the boat before we park it, but didn't stress about it if it didn't happen.  Our partnership worked because neither of us stressed about gas, which I would term a 'little thing' compared to the price of a 6 figure boat.  Nobody wants to buy gas for someone else, but you just figure what comes around goes around. 

There isn't gas on the water?  This boat on the buoy seems to be a bad situation for a partnership. I would be irritated if I get to the boat, and not find out it is low on fuel until after I am there.  Then I would have to trailer it to gas station?  And where is the trailer?   Sorry for lots of questions, but I am trying to figure out the logistics of all this, to better see where you are coming from.  

What year and model is it?  

Edited by TallRedRider
  • Like 2

Seems topping it off is the only fair solution based on where your boats kept & that seems to be the sticking point in your partnership, fuel.  Whoever, should bring however many gallons every time they go.  If you bring 20 gallons & only burn 10 leave it for next time or your friend & have him do the same.  

so it looks like it wont be easy ;-) so far two options - the first, it seems to be the most complicated, is to write a logbook with the actual boathours and to stop every minute someone is going behind the boat or driving. we would have to clarify roughly the gas-costs/minute depending on whats done with or behind the boat and then once a week everybody has to pay his minutes into a shared pot or so. from this you could buy gas to refuel. with this option we have to trust each other but you could also verify by checking the boathours in the logbook and if someone does s*** he gets kicked.

the other option is to fill up before you park. we have no gas on the lake and i would also have to check if we could use a dock somewhere next to our buoy to hang on while refueling.

the good thing with our co-owner is that he wont be here so often so it will be mainly my girlfriend and me shredding but its also us who paid 75% of the boat and do the cleaning and cuddling (with the boat of course)

Is it a Malibu 21 Xti like it says in your profile?  What year?  

Will most of your hours be with the GF?  Or will you sometimes be without her and vice versa?  

On a side note, if you found a woman who wants to co-own a boat with you, she's a keeper and you should do your best to make a permanent commitment.  Seems like a good find!  

• Like 3
34 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

Is it a Malibu 21 Xti like it says in your profile?  What year?  

Will most of your hours be with the GF?  Or will you sometimes be without her and vice versa?  

On a side note, if you found a woman who wants to co-own a boat with you, she's a keeper and you should do your best to make a permanent commitment.  Seems like a good find!  

yeah a malibu 21 xti 2004 with now 370 hours. most of the hours will be with my girlfriend but sometimes also without.

For the side note, she`s definitely a good find and we already own a small house together. for her that was the permanent commitment ;-)

Refueling aside, will you be applying bottom paint or anything to protect the gel if it’s going to be tied up that long?

Edited by ndahlberg12
1 hour ago, ndahlberg12 said:

Refueling aside, will you be applying bottom paint or anything to protect the gel if it’s going to be tied up that long?

we will pull it out once a month and clean/rewax everything.

You can buy a fuel flow gauge and use that.  Need to be diligent about photographing the start and end fuel levels.  You can actually all join a google photos shared album and upload your fuel flow gauge numbers for each trip if you want to keep each other honest.  Reset it at the start of every new season.

• Like 1
On 30.4.2018 at 10:58 PM, UWSkier said:

You can buy a fuel flow gauge and use that.  Need to be diligent about photographing the start and end fuel levels.  You can actually all join a google photos shared album and upload your fuel flow gauge numbers for each trip if you want to keep each other honest.  Reset it at the start of every new season.

This would be cool. Do you know a certain fuel flow gauge? I already did a little research but couldnt find anything suitable. 

ahopkins22LSV
3 minutes ago, braindamage said:

If you and your girlfriend are using it 75pct I’d the time...my advice is to expect to pay for 95pct of the gas and be thankful for what your buddy gives. That way when he gives more you are happy.

easy formula: expectation - reality = frustration.

lower the expectation...raise the happiness.

doing all this overly-complicated stuff will be worse than over-spending on gas by a couple hundred bucks. A good relationship with your girlfriend and buddy are worth more than that.

I agree with this. If you feel your GF is a keeper then you should just get used to paying for everything for the boat. And if the majority of the time is between you two then the majority of the fuel should come from you. 

• Like 2