Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 VLX - Need the location of right rear ballast drain pump

Imracin68j

I'm blowing fuses.  I found the intakes.  I noticed there is a panel on the very back on the floor.  Like 6x8.  Is it under that or do I have to remove the entire rear floor?  I had a few other pumps blowing fuses but after taking them apart and spinning them by hand they work now.  Should I replace those pumps or are they fine now?

9 hours ago, Imracin68j said:

I'm blowing fuses.  I found the intakes.  I noticed there is a panel on the very back on the floor.  Like 6x8.  Is it under that or do I have to remove the entire rear floor?  I had a few other pumps blowing fuses but after taking them apart and spinning them by hand they work now.  Should I replace those pumps or are they fine now?

Yes it should be under the small raised panel in the back, as far a replacing all of the ones you “fixed” that depends on if they fail on the water will it ruin your day(no pump no ballast or unable to drain)? Take one with you and tools to fix it goes bad. I’ve always just replaced.

I think I'm going to make weather proof quick disconnects for all the pumps.  That way I can have one ready and only need a Phillips screw driver to fix on the fly.

I believe that raised panel is just for the the fill line and vent to drop in the top of the tank.  The actual drain pump is mounted to the tank under the floor back by the transom.  Yes the floor needs pulled up.

Edit - Unless they changed the design from 07 to 08.

Edited by Ndawg12
12 minutes ago, Imracin68j said:

Oh, that sucks

I was able to get the floor free so that I could flex it up and bungee strap it to the pylon and then from the other side I was able to contort myself through the engine bay and across the exhaust silencer to change the pump out.  That's when I decided to cut off the back 6-8" of the floor off and install hinges in case I ever needed to get at those pumps again.  

• Like 1

my starboard pump was blowing fuses.  I pulled it and it was SUPER dirty and the motor/spindle seems to not rotate smoothly.  Cleaned up the pump housing with hull cleaner and then squirted some wd40 down the pump shaft to let it drain down in there and voila!  No more blown fuses.

Edited by hawaiianstyln
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

I believe that raised panel is just for the the fill line and vent to drop in the top of the tank.  The actual drain pump is mounted to the tank under the floor back by the transom.  Yes the floor needs pulled up.

Edit - Unless they changed the design from 07 to 08.

On my 08 lsv they are under the raised panel not the floor.

9 hours ago, Idaorr said:

On my 08 lsv they are under the raised panel not the floor.

The drain pump?  The raised panel that is mounted to the floor, which is above the tank?  Curious how that works.

I try to get all water including sacs wet vac’d from vent or fill holes or the bilge or anywhere like the ice chest seat/hole that comes from bilge/mls area draining holes 

last weekend started a new evacuation by wet vacing the drain ports on side of boat, lots of water and some trash came out

thought I was being a bit overzealous but now I am convinced that will prevent the above problem in my ‘14 possibly for ever

Edited by granddaddy55
4 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

The drain pump?  The raised panel that is mounted to the floor, which is above the tank?  Curious how that works.

The raised panel is only the access to the drain pump which is attached to the bottom of the ballast tank. Its there and some what of a pain to get to the pump, but just did port side pump last year. The raised panel is only about an inch above the floor and maybe 6" x 8" with screws holding it down..

3 hours ago, Idaorr said:

The raised panel is only the access to the drain pump which is attached to the bottom of the ballast tank. Its there and some what of a pain to get to the pump, but just did port side pump last year. The raised panel is only about an inch above the floor and maybe 6" x 8" with screws holding it down..

Never knew that, so I guess it did change from 07 to 08.  Or was it a Merced vs. Loudon thing?  Makes more sense to be screwed, I've seen those secured with a ton of finish nails from the bottom side.  Is that panel near the transom so that it fully drains while underway?

On 4/30/2018 at 2:34 PM, hawaiianstyln said:

my starboard pump was blowing fuses.  I pulled it and it was SUPER dirty and the motor/spindle seems to not rotate smoothly.  Cleaned up the pump housing with hull cleaner and then squirted some wd40 down the pump shaft to let it drain down in there and voila!  No more blown fuses.

where IS the fuse for that thing, anyway?
It's not with the breaker panel under the throttle at the helm, is it?

56 minutes ago, ibelonginprison said:

where IS the fuse for that thing, anyway?
It's not with the breaker panel under the throttle at the helm, is it?

it's in the Medallion box :)

6 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

Never knew that, so I guess it did change from 07 to 08.  Or was it a Merced vs. Loudon thing?  Makes more sense to be screwed, I've seen those secured with a ton of finish nails from the bottom side.  Is that panel near the transom so that it fully drains while underway?

Yes right up against the transom and next to the motor compartment, so if your a full grown man they can be tough to get to in that small space but, do able. They seem to drain good both sitting or on plane head back to the dock. The fill “ports”are at the front of the locker under the similar  raised panel. I had to notch the raise for the hoses when I installed the plug and play bags, fill pumps are by the transmission.

• 3 weeks later...