Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Skiing on the F1 at Coble's totally messed me up

Chef23

I have two sets back in on my D3X5 and I am a mess. I have never been that sensitive to skis before but the F1 was so hard to move I keep over turning my D3 and then I get afraid of it. I fell twice at 15 off today then ran a shaky 15 and 22 off and got 3 at 28. I was running 15 and 22 out of the box 90% of the time before I skied on the F1. I didn't get much instruction except for hold onto the handle longer so I don't think it is anything I am thinking about when I ski.

Hopefully things will be better tomorrow.

Mark if I remember your numbers correctly, temporarily move your fin back to 0.750" off the tail (measured D3 style) and add 0.005" total depth only by moving the tail not the tip. This is like throwing the training wheels back on it just for a weekend. It will become very linear and controlled in the turn. After you nail that start moving it back to where it was when you were running shorter lengths.

Is your wing upside down at 7 degrees? If it isn't do that too. You can take it back off when it feels like old times.

No wing on the ski at all. I am going to check the numbers on the fin and then go out and free ski this afternoon and try and get comfortable on the ski again. After that if I don't feel better on the ski I will move the fin. Thanks for the advice I really just needed to vent.

Okay I am back. I just got off the water and ran 3 at 32 right out of the box. Not my personal best but in the neighborhood.

I checked my fin settings and realized I was measuring my fin wrong. Measuring the way D3 recommends I was at .811. I moved it back to .780 and the ski was much slower through the turn which is what I needed right now. I probably won't play with it much the rest of the year because I will probably only ski the course a couple of more times this year.

Wow, 0.800+ off the tail Shocking.gif

That's huge. I'm surprised it didn't spin around and head up up course the other way.

Glad it's working out better for you.

When I initially set up my ski I spent an hour making it perfect by the D3 method, which I don't like and don't think is repeatable, then I drew a line under it in my book and remeasured HO style which gives me the same numbers every time. The differences in method are about 0.050" off the tail and 0.100 in length.

ie. 0.750 off the tail D3 style measures 0.700 HO and 6.920 long D3 style is about 6.820 HO. Once you have your baseline HO style you never have to go back.

Is there somewhere on the HO site that talks about how they measure. The D3 method for the most part is the way Andy Mapple measures in his video. I will have to dig up the way the HO measures.