Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ATF Bonehead Move - help

Bought a cheapo pump to pump out my transmission fluid and replace it. Midway through, the 3 inch plastic tube shook loose and sunk into transmission fluid. I have tried a hanger, compressed air, etc to get it out without success. It is a ZF transmission on a 1998 Sportster without a pan on bottom. Any recommendations other then taking the transmission apart? Also, is it absolutely necessary to get it out or since it sunk could it just sit on bottom? i would run the risk of trashing my transmission but not sure what else i could do without having to open it up.

Any thoughts? I cant be the first bonehead to do this. 

Edited by cgsmakaveli

was told to try and shop vac fluid out and see if it sucks up the plastic or at least get eyes on it and come up with a method to extract. 

Any specific suction pumps i can use to pull ATF out?

Harbor Freight makes an inspection camera with a snake lens. Item # 61839 or 62359, $75.  Next time tether something like that. Good luck.

<<<<------ My daughters years ago. 

Edited by electricjohn
  • Like 2

I would definitely not run it. Get as much of the ATF out and then i would say, be patient and keep working it with a coat hanger or two. See if you can at least

get the hose in sight. then try to clamp it with something, maybe another coat hanger with a hook to wedge it out. Or a large tye wrap with a loop at one end to slip

over the tube.

All the best. 

thank you. bought a 12 inch tweezers, will vac it out and see what is down there. hopefully i can just grab it and go, May need to get creative to see it or pump some compressed air to push it around. However, i don't think i need to pull the transmission now. still have a few inches of ice on the lake, life will go on. 

martinarcher

Been there when I was changing oil on one of the cars years ago.  I pushed my finger through the foil seal as usual and dumped the quart in the funnel.  As the oil splashed into the funnel I noticed a shiny something disappear  down the funnel and into the valave cover....oh crap!  With a bore scope I found it was the foil off the quart container....my finger had torn it off and it dropped inside the quart.  I got it out with a long tool line what was posted above after some patience.  I now always cut the foil and fully remove it  with a knife!  Good luck!