Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Intermittent blinker and brake lights

t a

I usually start my Lake trip with one side or the other working for brake/blinker.  Marker and reverse lights work.  Once I dunk the boat in the water, all lights work correctly for the trip home.  Once it dries out, I get one side or neither working again.  What’s going on here?  I double checked all connections in back are good and tight as well as both 5 ways in trailer toungue.  No crimped or frayed wires.  Trailer is 2015 boatmate.  What is causing the water to complete the circuit and how do I make it work dry?  Trying to avoid taking boat to a trailer shop but I’m also not great at electric work so about ready to give up and take it in.

7 hours ago, MadMan said:

It's almost always the ground side of the circuit.

Thanks Madman, would it still be a ground issue if that light works with the headlights on.  It glows with all the marker lights.  It’s like the signal from the blinker and brake is being disrupted somewhere but the light works otherwise

Update I feel dumb, cleaned round trailer plug and it works perfect now, they weren’t really corroded, just a little dirty but I guess dirty enough on those 2 prongs that signal wasn’t getting through

3 hours ago, t a said:

Thanks Madman, would it still be a ground issue if that light works with the headlights on.  It glows with all the marker lights.  It’s like the signal from the blinker and brake is being disrupted somewhere but the light works otherwise

It might.   Losing the ground can produce some strange results.  Since the both the tail and brake lights are grounded though the same wire at the bulb, if the ground comes loose, the brake light circuit in your truck can be the ground path for the tail lights.