Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

G3 Tower gas shocks

Wakesetter67

Hey helping out my Daughters B-friend, He has a 2012 23 LSV and we think his gas shocks are worn out,  He currently has 2 pair of Exile XM9s, A Samson Sky Ski Rack and 2 pair of Baha LED lights, Our question is they make a 250 Lb shock and a 165 Lb Shock We dont want too much so has anyone replaced theirs with this similar weight on the tower? I was thinking a 165 on one side and a 250 on the other..

I had the OEM struts which were the 215s with the 4 factory Alpha cans and they were lame new and were pretty much useless after 4 years. I updated to a set of Rev 10s and the struts might as well not of been there. I have the 275s now and after I first installed the struts the tower with the Revs would self deploy at about 100’ per second. Crazy fast pop up! After 2 years they have slowed some, but still self deploy. I do have to ratchet strap the tower down into the boat and onto a stand to get it in the garage, but I wouldn’t change this set up and will definately replace them with the 275s when the time comes. My only concern would be a premature failure of the lighter strut, those things weren’t cheap. There may be some others on here who have have replaced the struts with different ratings with success. I would be interested to hear the results and longevity of the struts.

46 minutes ago, wdr said:

I had the OEM struts which were the 215s with the 4 factory Alpha cans and they were lame new and were pretty much useless after 4 years. I updated to a set of Rev 10s and the struts might as well not of been there. I have the 275s now and after I first installed the struts the tower with the Revs would self deploy at about 100’ per second. Crazy fast pop up! After 2 years they have slowed some, but still self deploy. I do have to ratchet strap the tower down into the boat and onto a stand to get it in the garage, but I wouldn’t change this set up and will definately replace them with the 275s when the time comes. My only concern would be a premature failure of the lighter strut, those things weren’t cheap. There may be some others on here who have have replaced the struts with different ratings with success. I would be interested to hear the results and longevity of the struts.

Thanks, I guess we can always launch watermelons off it..LOL I think thats why we were going with the 165 and the 250 I will ask him if he minds holding it down like what you described. We were trying to find the sweet spot as it would rest on its own once down. 

There was kind of a sweet spot on the OEM struts. At rest it would stay about waist level, but any bump or drop and the tower would raise or drop accordingly. Definately not something I would trust to keep from crushing the dash pad or keep from springing up into the garage door header.

• Like 1