Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ruff shifting

When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid?  It's pretty simple and inexpensive.  Even if you don't have a pump, this one is cheap and works well.  I'd do that first before anything else.  And FYI, Dexron VI has superseded Dexron III, so despite what you might read it's OK to use if your transmission calls for Dexron III.  This presumes you don't have the SkiVee transmission.

21 minutes ago, islanders said:

what is the skivee transmission I have a 20 VTX? Tell me about the ugly drive plate?

Indmar had a problem around 2005 with out-of-alignment bellhousings that causes the drive plate (bolted to the flywheel) to fail.

The drive plate issue would cause your shifts to sound like heavy clunks.  You can also open up the engine hatch and listen for what may sound like a clicking noise if one of the drive plate springs has come loose and found its way into the bell housing.