Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What is this sound - water pump bearing??

hawaiianstyln

FYI, that's your raw (sea) water pump.  Your circulation pump is behind the big upper pulley and looks like this.  You can buy a raw water pump rebuild kit with the bearings for under $50, but seems like I read that it was a major pain to R&R the bearings.  The entire pump assembly can be had for between $120 here, and as high as $250 elsewhere.  This assumes you have the Johnson F6B pump...YMMV.

Edited by formulaben
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, formulaben said:

FYI, that's your raw (sea) water pump.  Your circulation pump is behind the big upper pulley and looks like this.  You can buy a raw water pump rebuild kit with the bearings for under $50, but seems like I read that it was a major pain to R&R the bearings.  The entire pump assembly can be had for between $120 here, and as high as $250 elsewhere.  This assumes you have the Johnson F6B pump...YMMV.

Thanks, i ordered it yesterday after realizing when i squirt the area where the bearings are and briefly went away.  Yes i have the F6b-9.

thank you everyone for your help (as always)

FYI, it was not hard at all to rebuild my pump.  It has been a few years, but as I recall I just drifted the shaft out at my vise, then drifted the bearings out.  No press stand needed. 

Between my friend and I, we have three pumps after he went out and bought a new one without telling me he needed a rebuild.  Now we have one on each boat and one spare always freshly rebuilt.  Mostly it just sits in the box waiting for its turn to play.

And you can just buy the bearings and seals at your auto parts dealer or online for a lot less than $50....

Regards,

- Just Gary

P.S.  For those of you in the future who are reading this thread while trying to solve your noise problems, alternator bearing failure also sounds a lot like this.

• Like 3

Okay, this is embarrassing to say the least.  After hours of troubleshooting, "thinking" it was the bearings inside the raw water pump, it's not....  I wrenched on the boat today and installed the new sea pump only to find out the noise was still there.  As I feel like I'm chevy chase cussing out the world, I decided to remove the belt, clean all pulleys with brake cleaner (they were VERY dirty), installed new belt from Autozone and now she purrs like a kitten....  I could have SWORN that sounds was a bearing that went out.  I was wrong!

I wasn't too mad at myself considering that raw water pump was 10 years old.  I got a new one for $141 off amazon which also had a new impeller in it too (bonus).

Note to self, don't get WD40 on a belt or pulleys and get off the crack!  The end...

formulaben
On 4/26/2018 at 5:21 PM, hawaiianstyln said:

I did because my neutral black button at the base of the throttle wont push in so i cant disengage the prop. Unfortunately yes its in gear but never went over 1,000 rpm

good question by the way. Itwas my only way to get rpms up

Did you try pulling instead of pushing?  Not sure of your setup but mine is a firm pull.

On 4/26/2018 at 8:24 PM, hawaiianstyln said:

But the shaft packing is watercooled and has a hose to it.  When i put it in gear its silent as can be as its spins.  

That's fine for the shaft packing, but your cutlass bearing on the prop strut will be making noise and wearing prematurely if you're not IN the water.

1 hour ago, hawaiianstyln said:

Okay, this is embarrassing to say the least.  After hours of troubleshooting, "thinking" it was the bearings inside the raw water pump, it's not....  I wrenched on the boat today and installed the new sea pump only to find out the noise was still there.  As I feel like I'm chevy chase cussing out the world, I decided to remove the belt, clean all pulleys with brake cleaner (they were VERY dirty), installed new belt from Autozone and now she purrs like a kitten....  I could have SWORN that sounds was a bearing that went out.  I was wrong!

I wasn't too mad at myself considering that raw water pump was 10 years old.  I got a new one for $141 off amazon which also had a new impeller in it too (bonus).

Note to self, don't get WD40 on a belt or pulleys and get off the crack!  The end...

Watching that last video it's just bizarre how after the 2nd squirt it stop the noise...so it had to be something associated with the belt, so I guess it makes sense but ouch.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, formulaben said:

Did you try pulling instead of pushing?  Not sure of your setup but mine is a firm pull.

this fly by wire throttle control is not like the old where you can pull it out.  My mind is beside me at this point and I can't remember when I bought this boat last June if I was able to push that in and rev in neutral or not.  I seem to recall that I was able to and now coming out of the winter I can no longer push that in.  So if any owners in that era of my 08 could confirm that would be sweet.  I'm sure that throttle control isn't cheap, but how often do I really need to rev in neutral, it's rare.  Looking forward to lake testing the boat this Sunday for the first time. 

Its not like the older ones on the morse controls where you actually can pull it out. This one is flush mounted so you couldnt pull it out if you wanted. 

• 2 years later...
On 5/1/2018 at 5:13 PM, hawaiianstyln said:

Mind outlining how you cleaned the pulleys. Mine are bad and causing squealing.