Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2018 lsv 23 plug n play

SouthsideBoarder

I’m getting a 18 23 lsv. For those with experience with the new hull which size plug and play bags did you place in the back? I’d like to avoid a bow sack and see wakemakers has a 475 and 580 I believe. Do you recommend something else or one of these two on your experience so far?

thanks

From what I experienced on a demo last fall, and then saw last night out on the water, is that the 475 is plenty if you want to avoid bow weight. That’s what I’m running and another crew member was surfing the same boat and setup with 475s and he’s very happy with it. 580 will need bow weight to compensate for any wedge you’ll be using.

I have a 1000 lb bow sac I plan to use occasionally but will use more wedge then instead of going with larger rear bags that I wouldn’t otherwise fill all the way.

Ugh .. that's a tough one.  I'm waiting on my '18 and definitely don't want to use my bow triangle anymore - BUT want the best wave I can get.  I'd hate to order the 475s knowing you just don't have to fill the 580s up all the way but its there if you need it.  

While we are on the subject, is the auto-vent and option or is it standard?  I didn't order it but if you order 475s it would be nice to at least know they are full.

1 hour ago, pauley71 said:

Ugh .. that's a tough one.  I'm waiting on my '18 and definitely don't want to use my bow triangle anymore - BUT want the best wave I can get.  I'd hate to order the 475s knowing you just don't have to fill the 580s up all the way but its there if you need it.  

While we are on the subject, is the auto-vent and option or is it standard?  I didn't order it but if you order 475s it would be nice to at least know they are full.

If you’re on IG, check out Upperleftwake’s latest story and see what you think of the wave with 475s and no bow weight.

This boat with the new hull and new rear stock tanks is different enough from the 2014-2017 hull that the PNP decision for me was pretty easy, and I’m used to completely sacked out 2016-2017s.

Auto vent is an option on the order sheet but many dealers probably just select it as part of their standard builds.

2 hours ago, pauley71 said:

I went with 580s for that exact reason. It’s what, $20 or 40 more? I did laugh when I got my “custom fit bags” and the box has a 17+ 24mxz sticker on it... 

The 23lsv I demo’d had 650s in the rear and did not need a bow sack.  I’ll be having the dealer add those to my boat when I bring it in this week for the 10 hour service.  Wave was really really nice with this set up, and bow rise seemed minimal. 

@NWBU, Mine has the auto vent and I remember being surprised when I took delivery, as I don’t think I specifically ordered that option.  I believe it comes standard when ordering the PNP plumbing. 

@Pnwrider My “custom” wakemaker bags for my 21vlx didn’t fit very well.  Not sure if they were made for multiple boats, but they certainly didn’t seem custom.  Because of that  I don’t see the need to spend almost 2.5x on customs for my 23lsv.  I’m just gonna get some 650 sumo sacks for $200 and call it good.

Edited by SCMike
27 minutes ago, SCMike said:

NWBU, Mine has the auto vent and I remember being surprised when I took delivery, as I don’t think I specifically ordered that option.  I believe it comes standard when ordering the PNP plumbing.

It's definitely an option with a $255 up charge on the pricing sheet but good dealers are likely checking the box for customers as part of the total package price.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, NWBU said:

It's definitely an option with a $255 up charge on the pricing sheet but good dealers are likely checking the box for customers as part of the total package price.

Just checked my build sheet and Autovent was included in PNP.  Notice is says “PNP Plumbing w/AutoVent”

53ED741F-9AA0-47A4-B198-71BF878F41D7.thumb.jpeg.6e13cbb22fadbc870d1142fa3456c528.jpeg

1 hour ago, SCMike said:

The 23lsv I demo’d had 650s in the rear and did not need a bow sack.  I’ll be having the dealer add those to my boat when I bring it in this week for the 10 hour service.  Wave was really really nice with this set up, and bow rise seemed minimal. 

@NWBU, Mine has the auto vent and I remember being surprised when I took delivery, as I don’t think I specifically ordered that option.  I believe it comes standard when ordering the PNP plumbing. 

@Pnwrider My “custom” wakemaker bags for my 21vlx didn’t fit very well.  Not sure if they were made for multiple boats, but they certainly didn’t seem custom.  Because of that  I don’t see the need to spend almost 2.5x on customs for my 23lsv.  I’m just gonna get some 650 sumo sacks for $200 and call it good.

My build also says auto vent on it. 

Does your dealer sell then 650 sumo sacks or do you have a recommendation on where to purchase them?

Do you know what size inlet and outlet the plug and play system uses?

Edited by SouthsideBoarder
12 minutes ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

My build also says auto vent on it. 

Does your dealer sell then 650 sumo sacks or do you have a recommendation on where to purchase them?

Do you know what size inlet and outlet the plug and play system uses?

My dealer sells them. I think you can get everything from wakemakers though.  They can ensure you have the right size fittings as well.  

On 4/26/2018 at 1:55 PM, NWBU said:

From what I experienced on a demo last fall, and then saw last night out on the water, is that the 475 is plenty if you want to avoid bow weight. That’s what I’m running and another crew member was surfing the same boat and setup with 475s and he’s very happy with it. 580 will need bow weight to compensate for any wedge you’ll be using.

I have a 1000 lb bow sac I plan to use occasionally but will use more wedge then instead of going with larger rear bags that I wouldn’t otherwise fill all the way.

How could 200 lbs of extra rear weight affect a 23 foot  boat and be that drastic tipping point necessitating bow weight, 

if so why not use lead, putting lead bags in cushions on corner of each side cushion (200lbs of lead takes almost 0 room even when on the cushions, or do the penny or lead sacs around your bow tsnk

whY limit size of wave?

lead even on cushions is not a pain in the neck bow sac 

Id rather have the weight

Edited by granddaddy55
On 4/26/2018 at 10:50 PM, SCMike said:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by that they didn’t fit well on your 21 vlx? Did they not fill all the way or too long?

thanks

Edited by SouthsideBoarder
2 hours ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by that they didn’t fit well on your 21 vlx? Did they not fill all the way or too long?

thanks

Its hard to explain, but the top of the bag bulges up to accommodate the shape of the rear lockers.  The bulge didn't line up correctly, and was pushing up against the top of the lockers in the back.  The bags are nice, but they just didn't seem like they were "custom" fit for the 21VLX.  

On 4/26/2018 at 9:50 PM, SCMike said:

My “custom” wakemaker bags for my 21vlx didn’t fit very well.  Not sure if they were made for multiple boats, but they certainly didn’t seem custom.  Because of that  I don’t see the need to spend almost 2.5x on customs for my 23lsv.  I’m just gonna get some 650 sumo sacks for $200 and call it good.

I did a demo in a 2018 23LSV before the shaped bags were available, so we just used a standard bag - they filled funky and got twisted around, pushed on the engine compartment walls because they were too wide for the space. The shaped bags are expensive, but well worth it IMO.

Edited by chantel
2 hours ago, chantel said:

I did a demo in a 2018 23LSV before the shaped bags were available, so we just used a standard bag - they filled funky and got twisted around, pushed on the engine compartment walls because they were too wide for the space. The shaped bags are expensive, but well worth it IMO.

Good to know.  Do you have a pic of the custom bags in your LSV?  I’d love to see how they fit.  Hopefully better then my 21vlx. 

On 5/1/2018 at 2:16 PM, SCMike said:

Good to know.  Do you have a pic of the custom bags in your LSV?  I’d love to see how they fit.  Hopefully better then my 21vlx. 

I don't, but @NWBU might?

58 minutes ago, chantel said:

I don't, but @NWBU might?

@SCMikeNot quite what you’re looking for since these aren’t filled with water but I pulled the bags up to show their shape. Water would round them out and they would be snug against the engine divider but I remember thinking they fit really well when I filled them last week.

The engine divider has been beefed up too.

9991E1CB-33CB-4FB8-831C-64EE34AD9306.jpeg

A52DFA36-6C41-4E0A-A97F-FFF3A82ECBAD.jpeg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, NWBU said:

@SCMikeNot quite what you’re looking for since these aren’t filled with water but I pulled the bags up to show their shape. Water would round them out and they would be snug against the engine divider but I remember thinking they fit really well when I filled them last week.

Thanks @NWBU

its a little hard to visualize, but I can see the shape.  Good to hear you are happy with the fit.  I’m going to give the sumo sacs a shot this time around.  If I’m not happy with them, I will just sell them and try something else. 

6 hours ago, NWBU said:

Greatly appreciate you posting these. Still trying to decide between 475 and 580s. Would like to avoid bow weight with our crew of 8-10ish  

Do you know the dimensions of the rear compartments?

3 hours ago, SCMike said:

Thanks @NWBU

its a little hard to visualize, but I can see the shape.  Good to hear you are happy with the fit.  I’m going to give the sumo sacs a shot this time around.  If I’m not happy with them, I will just sell them and try something else. 

Strongly considering sumo sacs as well as I’d like to save some cash but am concerned about pressing on the dividers or being too big and needing to sell and replace later. 

6 hours ago, SCMike said:

Thanks @NWBU

Here you go - found an excuse to go get some better pics tonight.

104E685A-99C2-4FAF-890C-50A2EBE209E1.jpeg

FB321620-A789-4DDC-8309-67013BDCBC80.jpeg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, SouthsideBoarder said:

Greatly appreciate you posting these. Still trying to decide between 475 and 580s. Would like to avoid bow weight with our crew of 8-10ish  

Do you know the dimensions of the rear compartments?

The new stock tanks change the shape of the locker so it’s roughly 16” wide at the bottom and 22” at the top of the tank.

It’s 33” from the edge of the tray under the transom seat to the forward wall, and the carpeted section under the tray has a full or drain line going into it. The space under the forward wall is used by the custom bags and also has a PNP line

Here’s a couple pics to help visualize those areas. I could see a stock bag doing ok but wouldn’t want it to be pushing too hard on the transom seat tray.

AC6D2EFA-01A1-4A4C-BBDB-D5FBA59D1D0C.jpeg

F62CB24D-D318-45B8-9649-C2F56E931375.jpeg

96EF35AD-43B3-45D2-8BF2-D1898774CFEC.jpeg

• Like 1
10 hours ago, NWBU said:

Here you go - found an excuse to go get some better pics tonight.

104E685A-99C2-4FAF-890C-50A2EBE209E1.jpeg

FB321620-A789-4DDC-8309-67013BDCBC80.jpeg

Those look pretty good!  I do worry a little about the sumo sacs causing stress on the engine divide and possibly hitting the rear trays.  My sales guy has them in his 2018 23lsv and is happy with them.  My boat is at the dealership getting the 10 hour service, and I’m having them throw in the sacs.  Guess I’ll find out tomorrow when I use them for the first time. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2018 at 6:16 AM, SCMike said:

Those look pretty good!  I do worry a little about the sumo sacs causing stress on the engine divide and possibly hitting the rear trays.  My sales guy has them in his 2018 23lsv and is happy with them.  My boat is at the dealership getting the 10 hour service, and I’m having them throw in the sacs.  Guess I’ll find out tomorrow when I use them for the first time. 

Well, the Sumo 650s are a bit too wide, and are caving in the engine divide panels.  I’ll probably be putting them up for sale and picking up the wake makers customs. Sucks because the 650s are a great weight for the LSV.  No bow bag needed.  Wake was money?